Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on my ride to church I noticed the that when I went to turn on the cruise control the light was flashing. This happen once before and wonder what it could be. Well today (it might say this in the manual) I noticed that when the bike goes into reserve (F Count up to empty) the cruise will not set and the light will flash. After fill up the cruise would set without issue.

I had a nice ride back, when I was cruising back home I was on the highway to make good time and to the left of me on the on ramp was a brand new Lamborgh, as I moved over to let the lambo move in he shadow me then brought the speed up to Mach 1 and with me to his left, I let him (noticed I said "let him") move in front of me to get around a much slower moving vehicle. Then as he moved to the right still at about Mach 1 I move to get his left side now at about Mach 1.5 I glanced over to give him a thumbs up only to see him giving me the thumbs up and to that he gave the Lambo just a little gas and off she went up to about Mach 2.5, I came up to his rear passenger side as he moves over to slow down to get off the exit I moved over to the left side and he motioned for me to come up as I did he waved as I went by and he exited. I wish I had the helmet with the helmet cam on it. Darn it. Now it is just a memory and a good fish story like the one that got away.
It was a beautiful car and it was all carbon fiber gray. Very nice.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanted to update everyone on the cruise control. There seems to be an issue with my cruise. This has nothing to do with being in reserve mode. This morning on my way to work the cruise worked fine but after about 20 minutes in the cruise kicked out and the light started to blink. I turned the cruise off and wristed it to work. When I got to my first stop and turning it back on there was a 90 code in the window and the cruise still flashing. As I proceeded the rest of the way to work the bike shut down on me once into a u-turn (ouch) and again pulling in work. Both time it started back up and was able to park and let her rest. Calling the shop today and hopefully dropping her off.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I wanted to update everyone on the cruise control. There seems to be an issue with my cruise. This has nothing to do with being in reserve mode. This morning on my way to work the cruise worked fine but after about 20 minutes in the cruise kicked out and the light started to blink. I turned the cruise off and wristed it to work. When I got to my first stop and turning it back on there was a 90 code in the window and the cruise still flashing. As I proceeded the rest of the way to work the bike shut down on me once into a u-turn (ouch) and again pulling in work. Both time it started back up and was able to park and let her rest. Calling the shop today and hopefully dropping her off.
Thanks for the heads up Rich. Sorry you’re having an issue. I know ALL about “issues”! 😉
Let us know what they find. I rolled over 11,000 miles the other day.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
GAR, think of the glass half filled scenario....you get to use your 5 year warranty....to get some value out of it...!

Now, shake your head at all the other poor suckers, who paid for in the price of the SVTC, but will never end up using any of that 5 Year Warranty...THAT THEY PAID FOR! Sucks for THEM!!!!

You, you lucky bloke...have a situation where you get some of that money's worth! See...see.. there is always a silver lining to any cloud!

All kidding aside, perhaps it's just a loose wire, or a faulty cruise control module, that will be replaced as fast as lightning.

Let us know, your outcome, for sure!

Joe
“Get you moneys worth” eh Joe?
🤣🤣🤣
If that’s the case, I’ve got MY money back and then some!!
Let’s see here... so far...
New top dash assy, New gas tank, COMPLETE valve train... hmmm 🤔
Yep! Got my money back for sure!

The good thing is Yamaha has ZERO issues with taking care of any issue.
That’s peace of mind you’ll NEVER get trying to keep an older previously owned bike running as the parts get more and more difficult to find.
Not for me, no sir eee!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up Rich. Sorry you’re having an issue. I know ALL about “issues”! 😉
Let us know what they find. I rolled over 11,000 miles the other day.
Thanks. 11k wow. Good for you. I will be there shortly.
I will let everyone know what happens. I just hope that my shop is experienced enough.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GAR, think of the glass half filled scenario....you get to use your 5 year warranty....to get some value out of it...!

Now, shake your head at all the other poor suckers, who paid for in the price of the SVTC, but will never end up using any of that 5 Year Warranty...THAT THEY PAID FOR! Sucks for THEM!!!!

You, you lucky bloke...have a situation where you get some of that money's worth! See...see.. there is always a silver lining to any cloud!

All kidding aside, perhaps it's just a loose wire, or a faulty cruise control module, that will be replaced as fast as lightning.

Let us know, your outcome, for sure!

Joe

Thanks YPE. I am really hoping the same. My wife is doing a good job of keeping me calm, saying the same thing, Maybe it is something easy, I just hope the error code gives them what to look for.
I will be calling the shop tomorrow and have the 4000 mile service.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Service manual page 7-84

Fault Code 90

Symptom: No normal signals from the switch are received by the ECU.

Check Point:

*Wire harness (ECU coupler and front or rear brake light switch coupler)

*Signaling system and brake light fuses

*Connection of the brake light relay coupler

*Connection of the main switch coupler

*Front brake light switch

*Rear brake light switch

Check all the plugs to make sure they are fully seated at the cruise control switch and the front and rear brake light switches.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Service manual page 7-84

Fault Code 90

Symptom: No normal signals from the switch are received by the ECU.

Check Point:

*Wire harness (ECU coupler and front or rear brake light switch coupler)

*Signaling system and brake light fuses

*Connection of the brake light relay coupler

*Connection of the main switch coupler

*Front brake light switch

*Rear brake light switch

Check all the plugs to make sure they are fully seated at the cruise control switch and the front and rear brake light switches.
Huge Thank You American. I will let the shop know.
I did make sure all lights and flashers worked. But I didn't check nor did I know to check the connection at the cruise control or any of the connections. The shop is going to do the 4000 miles service (a little early) while there and replace the trunk lid they damaged on delivery so I hope to hear something soon. Also they will use Yamaha 15w/50 full synthetic.
Also they are going to look into the turn signal issue. He hear of a software update that caused this and a new one that suppose to fix it so he will be looking into this.
Anyway once I hear what they found and replace I will report back.
Again thank you for the information.
I really lucked out buying this bike. It has a lot of what I wanted and didn't know much about it and then I landed here. Makes the ownership so much better with the knowledge you and others have.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I picked up the bike tonight without them able to fix the cruise control. The service manager talked to Yamaha and was told to check rear brake but that was not it. Yamaha is sending the switch at the clutch level, front break level and throttle or the switch at the rear break anyway they are sending 3 new different switches and they are going to replace one at a time to see which is the cause. The good thing is that they let me pick her up tonight and take her home. Going to giver her a nice bath tomorrow. And hope to have the new parts and fixed next week for my anniversary 😁

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope you get it back, ASAP, cruise working properly. I guess there is going to be a certain amount of shake-down, and once past that....all good.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I just hate when they have to take stuff apart and climb all over her like a jungle Jim. ☹🙏🏻

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I hope you get it back, ASAP, cruise working properly. I guess there is going to be a certain amount of shake-down, and once past that....all good.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I just hate when they have to take stuff apart and climb all over her like a jungle Jim. ☹🙏🏻
I feel yur pain Rich! At least my techs wipe her down when they’re done. I didn’t find one hand print on her when I picked her up.
Let us know the end result of what they find.
You might not have cruise right now, but at least you can ride. I had to wait almost 3 weeks!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel yur pain Rich! At least my techs wipe her down when they’re done. I didn’t find one hand print on her when I picked her up.
You might not have cruise right now, but at least you can ride. I had to wait almost 3 weeks!
Thanks Chief. I hate it when she has to spend the overnight. This was the longest i have ever been without her or any bike I owned. 3 days. So sad. I can't imagine 3 weeks. At least you had a loaner. I can ride but it looks like a wash out for this weekend. But it is still good to have her sitting under my roof. Beside today is wash and shine day. 😁

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Thanks Chief. I hate it when she has to spend the overnight. This was the longest i have ever been without her or any bike I owned. 3 days. So sad. I can't imagine 3 weeks. At least you had a loaner. I can ride but it looks like a wash out for this weekend. But it is still good to have her sitting under my roof. Beside today is wash and shine day. 😁
I’m sure she will appreciate being shown some “love”. Need to reassure her that you weren’t leaving her! 🤪

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cruise Still not fixed??!!!

Well this is getting freakin ridiculous.. still haven't heard from my dealer about a possible fix or parts. They say that Yamaha hasn't been responsive. So just over 2 weeks and nothing. Crap I hate dealing with incompetent people. They will tell you they are professionals and the best. The last time the bike was there the moron rubbed his boot heel across the front part of the seat and left a nice mark. Freakin useless when people can't respect anything that doesn't belong to them. They put the shortest guy on the biggest bike. I had to mentioned to him that it is best for a vertically challenged person to mount the bike from the high side.
Anyway. Another call to dealer and then to Yamaha myself. This time I am going to mention the lack of experience and the turn over of techs they have.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well tomorrow is the day. I am brining in my bike for the cruise to be fixed. I called them yesterday to let them know that I have new issue that I noticed that could be the cause of my cruise not working correctly. Not only do I get code 90 most times is power down the bike but about every time I start the bike and squeeze brake lever the break light remains on until I flick the lever or sometimes turn on the turn signal. The foot break has no issue.
So I think there are two errors and I think since the break is stuck on (occasionally have a burnt break smell) the cruise won't set and the error is actually the break control. Anyway I hope this finally gets resolved and before the Maggie Valley ride next weekend.
I will report back.
Everyone please keep an eye on the break lights staying on.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
.... the rest of the way to work the bike shut down on me once into a u-turn (ouch) and again pulling in work. Both time it started back up and was able to park and let her rest. ....
your brake light staying on explains the cruise control kicking off (like its suppose to when you touch the brakes)

but are you saying the engine shut off completely while you were riding it? I doubt you were making U turns and pulling into driveways with the cruise control engaged.

If the engine dropped out that sounds like a power connection to the ECM is intermittent. That might also cause the cruise to drop out.

Intermittent faults are a real pain to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your brake light staying on explains the cruise control kicking off (like its suppose to when you touch the brakes)

but are you saying the engine shut off completely while you were riding it? I doubt you were making U turns and pulling into driveways with the cruise control engaged.

If the engine dropped out that sounds like a power connection to the ECM is intermittent. That might also cause the cruise to drop out.

Intermittent faults are a real pain to troubleshoot.
Yes this is what I am thinking that the break issue might be the cruise issue.
The engine shut down. I had to restart. No, the cruise wasnt set, just on, cruise light flashing cause of the error.
Occasionally I get an engine pop and lose power but haven't had the engine stall out since the first instances when the cruise issue started.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GAR, engine pop? Rich...put in Shell Premium Nitro Plus...two tanks...and see if the engine pops again. I wonder if the engine goes into an instant self-diagnosis...run that Shell fuel...and see if things clear up...as your symptoms might be a secondary result.
Thanks YPE. I have been using shell premium but we have ethanol in our gas. When I don't or can't get the shell I get BP premium or last resort any name brand station premium. I think my occasional engine pop is my ride environment, slow crawl speeds, stop and go traffic. My adverage speed daily is only 28 miles per hour and that's over 30 miles one way so 60 miles round trip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts