Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need HELP! I had a 2006 1100 Silverado, loved the way it sat and rode except for the buzzy feel at 70 mph. After about 40 min my hand went num. I lost the bike in a fire. I some what want another one. I would like to know is this normal about the buzzy feel on these bikes? Or is it possible the carbs weren't Sync right?

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,535 Posts
Sad to hear of the fire, I saw on your other post the difference opinions of those who have ridden the 1100. My take is that maybe your bike did have an issue. It could also be your riding style. Do you ride with a relaxed grip? Normally, elbows are bent and your hands are ahold of the grips without squeezing the black juice out of them.
I found that buzzy hands was a big turn off to me when riding Ducati Monsters. In that case, the engine vibes came up through the frame and into the grips. Because I was leaning far forward, I put a lot of weight on my hands. When I learned to engage my core more and lean less on my hands, I found more enjoyment from that machine.
The Silverado does not have the Ducati problem of position, which brings me back to the idea your old bike may have had some issue causing the buzzy feeling that caused your hands to go numb.

Reactions: Strat man

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't remember the name or brand and cant take a picture as I am on the river right now, but I bought this thing at Cycle Gear a few years back that clips on your throttle grip and allows you to rest your palm on it to hold the throttle. I know several people here will know what I am talking about. This helped with the buzzy feeling in my right hand while a more relaxed grip helped with the left. I did this on my Harley Electra Glide and liked it so much I go tone for my 1100 as well. Got a couple questions: did your bike have factory handlebars? Did the bike have the factory grips? I have heard that on the Classics, and the Silverado the factory bars and grips were somewhat thin and vibrated from the factory quite a bit. Back in the early 2000's I knew several people who eliminated this problem by changing the handlebars to something a little more "heavy duty" and some that changed the grips and added bar end weights. I don't know first hand as I purchased my 1100 Custom with aftermarket risers and drag bars installed. They are much thicker than the factory bars and I get no vibration from them at all.

Don't know if any of this helps. Hope this small problem does not deter you from buying an otherwise great bike.

Ride often, ride safe and hope to see you out on the road.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,492 Posts
I don't remember the name or brand and cant take a picture as I am on the river right now, but I bought this thing at Cycle Gear a few years back that clips on your throttle grip and allows you to rest your palm on it to hold the throttle. I know several people here will know what I am talking about. This helped with the buzzy feeling in my right hand while a more relaxed grip helped with the left. I did this on my Harley Electra Glide and liked it so much I go tone for my 1100 as well. Got a couple questions: did your bike have factory handlebars? Did the bike have the factory grips? I have heard that on the Classics, and the Silverado the factory bars and grips were somewhat thin and vibrated from the factory quite a bit. Back in the early 2000's I knew several people who eliminated this problem by changing the handlebars to something a little more "heavy duty" and some that changed the grips and added bar end weights. I don't know first hand as I purchased my 1100 Custom with aftermarket risers and drag bars installed. They are much thicker than the factory bars and I get no vibration from them at all.

Don't know if any of this helps. Hope this small problem does not deter you from buying an otherwise great bike.

Ride often, ride safe and hope to see you out on the road.
You talking about ClampBuster? I’ve put one on every bike I’ve owned. Simple and works.

Hand Automotive design Gesture Finger Automotive tire

Reactions: PaulieBoy

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
332 Posts
I don't remember the name or brand and cant take a picture as I am on the river right now, but I bought this thing at Cycle Gear a few years back that clips on your throttle grip and allows you to rest your palm on it to hold the throttle. I know several people here will know what I am talking about.
I have that on my Road Star. Seems to be built in, can't take it off, or I would. I always seem to bump it in stop and go traffic, unless I pay REALLY close attention......

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I need HELP! I had a 2006 1100 Silverado, loved the way it sat and rode except for the buzzy feel at 70 mph. After about 40 min my hand went num. I lost the bike in a fire. I some what want another one. I would like to know is this normal about the buzzy feel on these bikes? Or is it possible the carbs weren't Sync right?
My (2007 1100 classic) doesn't seem to have that issue (not that I have many opportunities for prolonged 70MPH ventures) but with the original bars it was a little more buzzy/tingly than it is now with the apes and new grips - but I run solid billet grips with some (tennis racquet) grip tape which should in theory make that issue more visible..

Mild vibrations in bars can often be solved by adding some weight - normally a small bag filled with shotgun "shot" slid inside the bars works really well..

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom
187 Posts
You talking about ClampBuster? I’ve put one on every bike I’ve owned. Simple and works.

View attachment 111357
I still havent ridden anything yet, im still building, but this kind of freaks me out. A couple of youtube videos show this as a "must have" and im inexperienced but it looks like your hand would just slip off. I guess not if you're suggesting it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
All bikes have some vibration. Some more than others
Are you a new rider ? I think when we all first started riding we tend to put the death grip on the handlebars. That will definitely transfer any vibration to your hands. The more experience you have, the more relaxed you are and then you don't notice the vibration as much.

Like others said get a pair of ISO grips they help a bunch. You can get the grip buster thing already built into the ISO grips. It is a nice feature

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
321 Posts
My (2007 1100 classic) doesn't seem to have that issue (not that I have many opportunities for prolonged 70MPH ventures) but with the original bars it was a little more buzzy/tingly than it is now with the apes and new grips - but I run solid billet grips with some (tennis racquet) grip tape which should in theory make that issue more visible..

Mild vibrations in bars can often be solved by adding some weight - normally a small bag filled with shotgun "shot" slid inside the bars works really well..
Try grip puppies from Amazon I use them for the same reason problem solved

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
321 Posts
Sad to hear of the fire, I saw on your other post the difference opinions of those who have ridden the 1100. My take is that maybe your bike did have an issue. It could also be your riding style. Do you ride with a relaxed grip? Normally, elbows are bent and your hands are ahold of the grips without squeezing the black juice out of them.
I found that buzzy hands was a big turn off to me when riding Ducati Monsters. In that case, the engine vibes came up through the frame and into the grips. Because I was leaning far forward, I put a lot of weight on my hands. When I learned to engage my core more and lean less on my hands, I found more enjoyment from that machine.
The Silverado does not have the Ducati problem of position, which brings me back to the idea your old bike may have had some issue causing the buzzy feeling that caused your hands to go numb.
One problem I had was on my goldwing and then on my stratoliner was the grips were to small in diameter so I went with grip puppies on my wing which is now my wife's bike ended that problem. Then on my stratoliner I changed to custom grips bigger than the factory grips also ended that problem 😅 grip puppies where $15.00 I had arm and wrist fatigue couldn't stand to ride more than 2hrs. Now all day and half the night on the goldwing or my stratoliner deluxe.

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
321 Posts
Another thing i don't think anyone mentioned is gel pad gloves. I wear them religiously. Every big v twin bike i have owned all do have vibration in the bars.
My stratoliner deluxe doesn't have the vibrations you mentioned 😒 my old Harley street Glide would shake you to death 🤣 I couldn't take it anymore so I sold it. And bought my stratoliner deluxe it was horrible..New Harley motors don't do that. 2018 heritage 114 smooth and quick.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Vehicle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts