Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 stratoliner deluxe.....so cruising along at about 70MPH..rpm show about 3100....sound right? and what are people getting from a full gas tank ..150 miles 160? just getting used to my new ride....

cheers

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
2010 stratoliner deluxe.....so cruising along at about 70MPH..rpm show about 3100....sound right? and what are people getting from a full gas tank ..150 miles 160? just getting used to my new ride....

cheers
Rpm is right; mileage is right. At 70 mph I'll refuel at 140 miles. Anywhere in the 55-65 mph range I can get to 160 (that's before the low fuel light comes on. I count on 25 additional miles after the light comes on).

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
RPM and mileage

Papa D,

I think I read somewhere the official speed at 3000 RPM is 72. My speedometer and tach show 75 MPH at 3,000 RPM. Each 1,000 RPM seems to be about 25 MPH by my tach and speedometer. At least at 50 MPH and 75 MPH.

On the highway long hauls running 70 and 75 MPH my low fuel light comes on around 150 miles maybe just a little more. On roads around 55 or so MPH The light may go as far as 170 miles before the light comes on. Of course the obvious is that varies a lot with traffic, hills, and you right hand.

Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It really depends on that thing on the right side that twists. If I stay off the twist handle I've made it 180 miles with the low fuel light on. If I'm on the twist handle 140 to 150 and it's hope I make to the next fill up spot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder if there's something wrong with my 2009 Stratoliner. I'm turning 3k at 65mph and I think the bike feels "buzzy" at anything over 2,500. I read something about changing to a smaller read sprocket (or whatever it's called). They said it lowers the RPMs, therefore helping gas mileage. I'm having new OEM touring handlebars put on and a 3k miles checkup, so I think I'll ask the shop about the high revs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I wonder if there's something wrong with my 2009 Stratoliner. I'm turning 3k at 65mph and I think the bike feels "buzzy" at anything over 2,500. I read something about changing to a smaller read sprocket (or whatever it's called). They said it lowers the RPMs, therefore helping gas mileage. I'm having new OEM touring handlebars put on and a 3k miles checkup, so I think I'll ask the shop about the high revs.
It lowers the rpm right at 300 and the milage does not change.
Jim

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I wonder if there's something wrong with my 2009 Stratoliner. I'm turning 3k at 65mph and I think the bike feels "buzzy" at anything over 2,500.
Welllll....

I was out playing this morning, thinking about your question (because I never memorize my rpm/speed combinations) and thought I'd try an experiment.

At 65mph in 5th I was taching 2550; I dropped it into 4th and at 65mph I was taching 3050...

Meaning absolutely no disrespect or insult, you are getting it into 5th without any problem?

Regards

·
Registered
66 Posts
Griduser, if you are taching 3000 RPM and doing 65 MPH, you may have a smaller than stock tire on the back. In 5th gear at 3000 RPM I am doing 70 MPH as I think most owners are. I averaged 140 miles for the reserve light to come on but I am somewhat power hungry. (Hey, that's what I bought the bike for). Ride Safe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mpg

I cruised today for 160.2 miles and got 45.823798627 mpg didn't hit it hard to many times. No loe fuel light on so still had a ways. cruising aroung 65-70 ish dont think I ever did see the tac over 3000

2008 Strat

·
Registered
54 Posts
The bike was a new-in-the-box 2009 I bought last August, so I ASSUME the tires were what came in the crate. It's possible the dealer switched things on me, as I wasn't there to watch it come together.

It's definitely fifth gear b/c I can't get it to shift any higher. As a matter of fact, I sometimes lose count of what gear I'm in and try to move up one more. That's what makes me think something isn't right. I'm going 60 mph on a 2-lane county road and am trying to shift up b/c I think the engine sounds like it's working too hard. It's too late to take it out yet tonight and I have to leave early tomorrow but I intend to check it out again tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok, I took 'er out this evening to see what revs I got at various speeds & feel pretty sheepish. In 5th, I got ~2600rpm at 65mph, ~2900rpm at 70mph, and 3000rpm at 75mph. Now I feel stupid. I must have an aversion to running a motor at more than about 2500rpm, so I probably "felt" like I was running it too hard. I have no problem with goosing it once in a while, to make some beautiful noise or merge onto an on-ramp, but I like to bring it back down. I attribute it to keeping my car revs low for "green considerations".

Since I've only had my Strat for about 10 months, half of which was winter in IA, I'm still learning about the ins and outs of riding. It's my first bike in over 30 years, so I don't know what's optimal yet. Which brings me to the more obvious question: what revs should I shoot for? On the highway I have to take what the bike gives me (evidently >2500rpm). But what about arond town? I generally tend to use the gear that makes the engine run the slowest. If I'm going 35mph, I could be in 3rd, turning 2500 or in 4th turning right at 2000. I assume the lower revs will burn less gas. But what's right for the engine? If I get the revs down to under 2000 and then crank the throttle, it feels like I'm "lugging" the engine.

I tend to overthink things, so just tell me if I'm obsessing over something that isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
254 Posts
lol... that sounds about right. The bike likes the R's. But good fuel eco will sit around that 65 mph/2600rpm range. I like to ride 70-75 usually 80 and see the diff at the pump but worth it...lol... I do that shift min every 10 miles is the gear 1st/10, 2nd/20, 3rd/30, 4th/40, 5th/50... otherwise get the clunk sounds. Lower Revs when not lugging are good 2,000-2,500 area. give me best mileage.
Ride Safe

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I tend to overthink things, so just tell me if I'm obsessing over something that isn't a big deal.
You're obsessing over something that isn't a big deal...:D

Here's the thing (as I see it through tri-focals:)):

The engine begins to come on strong at 20-2200rpm. That's where it's big torque starts. If you're not calling for acceleration power, you can idle through town in whatever gear fits your pistol (as long as the engine isn't going "chug, chug, chug") But if you have to quickly come on with throttle to clear traffic, go uphill, etc. you don't want to lug your engine.

What works for me is when I come down from 5th gear highway speed to a 45mph zone, I'll drop it into 4th. If I'm coming into a 35 mph zone, I'll drop it into 3rd. Below 35mph zones (20-25mph zones for school, hospital, residential, etc) I'll be in 2nd. I'll use 1st gear with clutch feathering only for standing starts or 90 degree cornering at very slow speeds.

For me, those gear/speed combinations keep the tach in the power zone should I need it and keep the exhaust civilized.

Your results may vary (you're younger than I am:D).

But don't overthink it. As you accrue miles with the bike, the engine will pretty much tell you what it likes and dislikes and you'll find yourself keeping your eyes on the road rather than the tach...:D:D:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd be surprised if you were very much older than I. :p
Your profile says ex-naval aviator. We've got the Blue Angels here this weekend. No offense to any Air Force folks out there but the Angels put on the best show I've ever seen. I was concerned we wouldn't see them this year after the near-miss problem they had recently. Last evening, while I was checking revs against speed, I rode "Big Blue" over by the airfield they're using for the air show. Fat Albert was already sitting on the main runway. I'm pumped.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
No offense to any Air Force folks out there but the Angels put on the best show I've ever seen.
By all means, offense to the USAF out there:D:D:D

In naval aviation, formation flying is wingtip to wingtip. In the Air Force it's "two planes the same way, same day...":)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love stirrin' shtuff up.. Where's the Air Force out there? Didn't get to the airshow myself today but my wife saw it from across the road at a friend's business. She said they were fabulous - a really long show, maybe longer than previous years. And she doesn't even like airplanes that much. It was the 25th Anniversary airshow for the humble Quad Cities. I plan to head over there tomorrow, probably alone. Big Blue's still in the shop, so I'll have to take the car :-(

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm going to add my two cents and tell you don't be afraid of living in the torque of the upper RPMs. These are rugged v-twin motors designed to be ridden harder than most people in the liner demographic tend to ride. By babying it in the lower RPMs, and fussing over fuel economy you'll see guys with everything from carbon build up in the exhaust ports to excessive carbon in the cylinders which can even foul the plugs. Getting the liner out on the highway and stretching it's legs from time to time is never a bad thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts