Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I reached out to Custom Dynamics to see if they made a tail/brake light cluster for my 2009 vstar 650. Turns out that they do not, as the shape of the light changed at some point for the 650. However, they offered up a direct base LED cluster that simply fits in the 1157 socket and will work as stock but be much brighter than a bulb. However, when I received it I realized that this is a socket that is attached via wires to a cluster and that the cluster must be taped - yes taped - to the stock lens or reflector somehow in order to work. (see pic). Has anyone done this and if so how long does the cluster stick to the tape before falling off? I don't want hope that my tail light tape is working - it seems like a failure waiting to happen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
If it does not have the HD emblem on it they know NOTHING about it. I went to Thunder Beach and wanted one of the tag light brackets for the Raider. They do free install of all their products in their tent. When I said it was a Raider the person walked away. So I went up to the sales person my wife was talking to and asked him about the install. He looked down his nose at me and said all they do installs on is HD they do not know any other bike. I snapped and said "There are other bikes besides HD out there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it does not have the HD emblem on it they know NOTHING about it. I went to Thunder Beach and wanted one of the tag light brackets for the Raider. They do free install of all their products in their tent. When I said it was a Raider the person walked away. So I went up to the sales person my wife was talking to and asked him about the install. He looked down his nose at me and said all they do installs on is HD they do not know any other bike. I snapped and said "There are other FCKN bikes besides HD out there.
Yeah, I wish I had known this before I bought the light. Now I'm just hoping that they'll eat the shipping back to them. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
I’m surprised that Custom Dynamics sold you an inferior product. I’ve dealt with them in the past and was very satisfied with them. I’d suggest looking into the triple whammy rear lighting kit for your 650. Makes you a lot more visible especially at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same ones on my 2004 Vulcan took them off the Vulcan and now have them my vstar 950. They work fine. I did have one blow on the front and I sent the 2 of them to CD and they replaced them free of charge. They are great to deal with and they stand by their product. I had them for 4+years before they blew.
BTW I had made a spacer out of rigid insulation and wrapped it in Metal Duct tape to take up the slack in the indicator housing.
All my led's are CD!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts