Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did V Star Customs ever come with a luggage rack or is that something you have to add on? Will a rack from a classic fit custom??? If any one has one installed on a custom, could you post some photos? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
they sell these cute little things that replace the passenger seat, that look like they are for cooling off a small pan of cookies.

If you just want to strap down a small lunch bag they are ok, but I have never seen a serious rack that replaces the passenger seat. I think it should bolt onto the fender side rails (the little chrome sub frames).

I gave up on saddle bags and trying to strap things on the back of the bike, and bought a trunk from amazon for $50. I had to fabricate my own bracket to attach it, as I described above - it was well worth the $50 and the couple hours it took me to make my own rack for it.

<= see my garage photo (go to the garage page and click on the little photo to see it full size).

·
Registered
364 Posts
I installed an awesome chrome luggage rack on the Missus' 2014 650 Custom, and I think it looks very nice. And yes, it's good and sturdy too. (haven't tried cooling down a pan of cookies on it yet)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do not like the look of side luggage. Fits right over the rear seat. Clean - no visible straps. Stays put and I can carry a surprising amount of crap. Even pick up a few groceries now and then.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do not like the look of side luggage. Fits right over the rear seat. Clean - no visible straps. Stays put and I can carry a surprising amount of crap. Even pick up a few groceries now and then.
Highwayman, I like the look of that luggage, do you have a link to it or let me know the name of the manufacture. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Highwayman, I like the look of that luggage, do you have a link to it or let me know the name of the manufacture. Thanks
+1 Please send a link to that soft bag. Curious how it attaches. Also, can it double as a back-rest when it's full (assuming it's not filled with groceries!)

-PH

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dowco Rally Pack $59.99
I'd get a different one next time. This has no inside or outside pockets to organize gear, papers etc. You could insert a piece of cut dense foam inside for back support but that would reduce some space. I also thought about getting a backrest pad sans hardware and having someone stitch it to the outside of the bag. The bag is attached/strapped to the pillion seat. Never moves-no troubles whatsoever. Most come with a pouch w/ attached rain cover.

Next time I'll get something like this.
Viking Sport Motorcycle Tail Bag $89.99
-or-
Viking Motorcycle Tail and Tunnel Bag $159.99
This one is nice too.
Cortech Super 2.0 Tail Bag | MotoSport $109.99

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dowco Rally Pack $59.99
I'd get a different one next time. This has no inside or outside pockets to organize gear, papers etc. You could insert a piece of cut dense foam inside for back support but that would reduce some space. I also thought about getting a backrest pad sans hardware and having someone stitch it to the outside of the bag. The bag is attached/strapped to the pillion seat. Never moves-no troubles whatsoever. Most come with a pouch w/ attached rain cover.

Next time I'll get something like this.
Viking Sport Motorcycle Tail Bag $89.99
-or-
Viking Motorcycle Tail and Tunnel Bag $159.99
This one is nice too.
Cortech Super 2.0 Tail Bag | MotoSport $109.99

Anyone using this tunnel bag on a V Star 650? Does it fit well on the passenger seat? Recommended?
-PH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Dowco Rally Pack looks great. I have a 650 Classic with passenger seat with back rest. I would like to add a luggage rack to the back rest and add a small luggage bag. I have been cruising a lot over the past week and found that I need to carry extra stuff

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
My chrome luggage rack is made by "Big Bike Parts". I bought mine in Canada at https://fortnine.ca/en/show-chrome-big-bike-parts-solo-rack-v-star-650-1100-classic-each-63-131

In the USA in can be ordered directly from Motorcycle Parts and Accessories - Big Bike Parts ; it says it's for the V-Star 1100, but it fits just fine on the 650 Custom.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

The fender rack I have on my 1300 looks like this one, but the bolt holes may be different. I bought this small cheap bag on Ebay, and it is a little smaller than I would have liked, but it is all I really need. It is made to strap on under the seat but I wrapped the straps around the rack and I can take it off pretty easy.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts