Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm finally ready to share what I've been working on since August! My brother owns a 2008 CBR 1000rr. The previous owner gave him and extra set of plastics, and they were painted with a nasty red paint.

I sanded and primed all of the pieces. This was all rattle can paint, Rustoleum American Accents was what I went with. Went on a lot smoother than the Krylon I first started with. Cans were cheap at Walmart. I used only the Satin finish, because Gloss is not good for multiple coats.

The side fairings need to be touched up. (Black over spray on the lightning bolts!) I thought I was careful when I was masking them! Could of been worse, but it will be a little bit more time until I'm finished. Then I will have to buff them all out. The gloss clear coat alone leaves a slight orange peel texture, plus over spray happens on larger pieces.

This is the album... ---->> Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum - YamaMassGirl's Album: CBR Plastics Custom Sharpie Paint

But I'll post a few pics here. The tank is the only thing that's been clear coated in these pics.

The artwork you see was done with fine tip Sharpies. The side fairings were primed, then covered with "heirloom white" satin Rustoleum. This was the perfect canvas for laying down some sharpie ink.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks huntswithhawks. If you Google images of 'custom sharpie motorcycle', you'll find a bunch of bikes that have been sharpied.

I'm not sure who started the trend. But it's become so popular that one of the new Ducati Monsters has a sharpie paint style as a production paint option.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
you can spray over a sharpie mark and the enamel wont smear the pen?!

I would not have believed that - sharpie pen comes off so easy.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Must be nice to be talented!!! That looks great. I have trouble drawing stick figures ... :grin:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks guys and gals. The sharpie artwork took the longest. Masking and taping was second most time consuming. I was also dependant on the weather. (Been cold rainy and windy here as of late.)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks good. do you have finished photos with the pieces installed?
Unfortunately my brother hasn't mounted them on his bike yet. He has a bunch of work he needs to do on the bike. I'm anxious to see what they will look like. I will definitely post when he gets them on there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts