Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
2004 Road Star Silverado Midnight Star 1700, 2007 VStar Classic 1100
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting a custom build thread. I’m not tearing this thing down, I am however removing some of the custom stuff that was done to it and converting to a bagger.

pics from day 1 at the dealership
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Some additional pics I took at home on day 2

First thing that stick out to me is that the windshield is standing almost straight up.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

I pulled the (what looks like homemade) brackets out of the windshield mounts and laid the windshield back where it belongs.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

Second issue I have with it is the forward controls. Don’t know what it is but I don’t care for them. Got a factory set of floorboards coming with controls.

The handlebars look cool but the reach is a bit much. Needs to come back and up about an inch each direction. Can’t touch the driver backrest. The combo of the forward controls and the reach feels way too hunched over. Also not a fan of the rust bolts either, so I ordered a set of 4” risers. Also ordered the install studs for this bike from Dennis Kirk.
Tire Cloud Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire

These are the risers I bought.
Tableware Office supplies Line Rectangle Automotive lighting

Salesman and I were talking about the cheap leather bags this thing had on it when he got it. I’m guessing that’s what happened to the fender stays. They are flaking chrome. I ordered a set of new fender stays I found on eBay. Coming from two different countries.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Ordered a set of Tsukayu Jumbo Strong Bags earlier this week painted gloss black. Hopefully their black will be close enough I won’t have to paint over it. These are the hard bags (without the lights and racks).
Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Bags are 10.5” wide should give it a wide look to it. Unsure if I’ll keep the back seat on this one. Depends on if I buy a second bike next week or not.

Decided on crash bars this evening. I think the brand was Bagger” but I’m not familiar with them. Ships out of TX that’s all I know. I bought these because they complement the handlebar lines.
Eye glass accessory Silver Fashion accessory Transparent material Hobo bag

Battery is shot, got a new one in my foyer. Have to put it on tomorrow while it’s nice out. I’m sure I’m gonna run into crap along the way I didn’t expect so follow along .

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rolled over 8K on the bike today. Winter be damned!

I really can’t stand those forward controls, even for short distances.

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the pipes on your bike, so you know what ones those are?

good job on the windshield, no idea why someone would do that? All in all looks great. Keep us posted with all of your mods
Those are Cobra pipes. As for the windshield, I have no idea why that was done. I am impatiently awaiting packages at the moment.

Weather outlook looks like some storms coming in with some warm weather behind it. I might get an extended ride soon. If not, maybe a coupe warm days in the barn putting parts on.

I am going on a trip Saturday. Supposed to pickup a Road Star Midnight 1700. It looks like a Silverado Midnight but I guess the title will tell.

Wife asked why I need two. I said, “because I can…”

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the floorboards I ordered. Looks like everything is there except a linkage to the back brakes. I assume there is a missing linkage… I’ll have to find a diagram to identify what is not there.
Guitar accessory Aircraft Bicycle part Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Bumper Automotive tire Flooring Auto part Automotive mirror

The shifter linkage looks like it’s all there.
Automotive lighting Musical instrument accessory Auto part Microphone Font

Automotive exterior Auto part Composite material Fashion accessory Metal

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found it, its part of the footrest diagram. of course you can't buy it as one piece, that little clevis and pin with washer and nuts is $41+ shipping.

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found an aftermarket complete master cylinder assembly for $20. I just need the pin which i should be able to get at a hardware store.
Auto part Cable Fashion accessory Electronic component Font

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, tomorrow, the risers, crash bars and floorboards will be here.

Saturday, the left fender stay will be here but I just realized I ordered two different stays. Guess I can mount the bag mounts directly to the sissy bar frame. I don’t know that the stays would buy me much over that other than pushing the bags out away from the fender further.

Actual bags are unknown delivery date. Showing just picked up by air courier this evening.

I don’t expect the master cylinder pump until next week. Can’t put the floorboards on until the cylinder pump is here. Can’t put the crash bar on until the forward controls are removed. Guess I’m stuck until next week. I’m heading out Saturday to pickup the Road Star.

This is it except he put apes on it, which are coming off as soon as it rolls off the trailer. The pullback riser is more than enough with the factory bars.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Crash bars are here. Nice and girthy pipes. Rust on the inside. I’ll spray Rustoleum primer inside to kill the rust before I mount them. I bolted them together for the pic so you can see the actual design. Second pic is next to a water bottle for size comparison.
Brown Wood Pattern Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Body jewelry Amber Jewellery Font

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Risers are here. I thought for sure that spike on the top would be plastic… nope, it’s metal. Solid metal at that.
Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve Collar Button

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,262 Posts
Reaction score
I love the pipes on your bike, so you know what ones those are?

good job on the windshield, no idea why someone would do that? All in all looks great. Keep us posted with all of your mods
My guess on the windshield, combined with the forward controls is the PO must have been a fairly tall individual. Maybe pushed the windshield forward to reduce head buffeting.....just a guess. Didn't do much for overall aerodynamics though......

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My guess on the windshield, combined with the forward controls is the PO must have been a fairly tall individual. Maybe pushed the windshield forward to reduce head buffeting.....just a guess. Didn't do much for overall aerodynamics though......
Probably right. I’m 6’ and I’m not a huge fan of where the top of the windshield is. It’s right in the line of sight. I’ll likely slot the mounts to make it a little bit adjustable if the new setup doesn’t change the posturing enough.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts