Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

· Registered
2004 Road Star Silverado Midnight Star 1700, 2007 VStar Classic 1100
97 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
when the engine bolt misaligned i wonder if the kickstand was putting forces on the frame
I guess it’s entirely possible. We may never know. It was only off by a little more than the depth of the threads. That guard isn’t likely to ever come off to find out.

If I run into the issue with the Road Star, I’ll try taking the weight off and see what happens. I have a bike Jack here to support the engine weight if needed. Not sure if I’m going to replace that one or get a set of leather rain guards for it. Guess it depends on how marked up it is when I look closer at it. I can tell you that the highway pegs gotta go. They won’t stay up just idling, not to mention they are at different heights by like 4”. I never use them anyway.

Found a set of oem passenger floorboards. The one will need fresh bracket paint and polish on the aluminum but that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m going to try some Eastwood Diamond Clear. Supposed to be designed to seal polished metal surfaces and won’t yellow. Guess we will find out soon enough.

All the aluminum handlebar controls on the Road Star are getting the same treatment.

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,587 Posts
Reaction score
Found a set of oem passenger floorboards. The one will need fresh bracket paint and polish on the aluminum but that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m going to try some Eastwood Diamond Clear. Supposed to be designed to seal polished metal surfaces and won’t yellow. Guess we will find out soon enough.

All the aluminum handlebar controls on the Road Star are getting the same treatment.
Let us know how you like the clear. I have an '03 Road Star I picked up last fall that the shiny stuff was pretty neglected. I'm in the process of polishing it all up again. I'd love to know how you like the cleared parts.

· Registered
97 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Let us know how you like the clear. I have an '03 Road Star I picked up last fall that the shiny stuff was pretty neglected. I'm in the process of polishing it all up again. I'd love to know how you like the cleared parts.
Definitely. I am always skeptical of clear over aluminum but it’s worth a shot. Once you polish through the anodizing, there’s nothing to protect the soft aluminum underneath. So, it’s coat it or polish it religiously to keep it from corroding again.

· Registered
97 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I put a set of aftermarket hard extended bags on a v star 1100 and they fit pertty good with very little work.
Got a pic?

Tsukayu Jumbo Strong Bags arrived. Unfortunately, there is damage to the surface of both lids. They also didn’t send the mounting brackets. I’ve emailed them to see what they want to do.

At minimum, I want my money refund for the paint I paid for so they can be repaired/repainted and a set of brackets sent immediately or they can have them back.

· Registered
99 Posts
Reaction score
um, I want my money refund for the paint I paid for so they can be repaired/repainted and a set of brackets sent immediately or the
Man that disappointing. Only this worse than waiting for the mailman to bring them is if items are damaged and you have to deal with all the BS. SOrry this happened. Are you able to post some photos

· Registered
97 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Man that disappointing. Only this worse than waiting for the mailman to bring them is if items are damaged and you have to deal with all the BS. SOrry this happened. Are you able to post some photos
First one, where the paint is missing on the lid. Appears to have chewed into the material itself. Likely during shipping. That will have to be sanded out to fix. I don’t know if a glazing putty would stick to abs. I can’t get a better photo because my camera won’t focus from the glare. There are several large holes in the box they came in. They weren’t exactly handled with care…
Audio equipment Automotive lighting Stairs Automotive design Wood

This one is about a 5” long crease that is under the paint. No doubt a molding flaw they didn’t bother to sand out. It’s actually fairly deep.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Orange Bumper

There are several runs and imperfections that are In hidden areas that I am not concerned with. Again, those are hidden. The ones I pictured are right on top.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,130 Posts
Reaction score
First one, where the paint is missing on the lid. Appears to have chewed into the material itself. Likely during shipping. That will have to be sanded out to fix. I don’t know if a glazing putty would stick to abs. I can’t get a better photo because my camera won’t focus from the glare. There are several large holes in the box they came in. They weren’t exactly handled with care…
View attachment 123715

This one is about a 5” long crease that is under the paint. No doubt a molding flaw they didn’t bother to sand out. It’s actually fairly deep.
View attachment 123717

There are several runs and imperfections that are In hidden areas that I am not concerned with. Again, those are hidden. The ones I pictured are right on top.
WTF are those pictures?

· Registered
99 Posts
Reaction score
I feel for you man, that’s a bummer. Even sending things back and re waiting, just to hope it doesn’t get damaged in the process again is a pain in the ass.

The photos are super hard to see, but I know those shiny reflective shots are hard, especially if you are trying to do a macro shot (close up).

Keep us posted what you decide. I am keen to get hard bags one day, so would love to know your thoughts after it gets sorted

· Registered
97 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I feel for you man, that’s a bummer. Even sending things back and re waiting, just to hope it doesn’t get damaged in the process again is a pain in the ass.

The photos are super hard to see, but I know those shiny reflective shots are hard, especially if you are trying to do a macro shot (close up).

Keep us posted what you decide. I am keen to get hard bags one day, so would love to know your thoughts after it gets sorted
I think it’s the chandelier and the high gloss paint. Camera is trying to focus on the ceiling. No matter how close or far away I get the same thing.

· Registered
97 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Surely you can see the big gray spot on the middle of the red circle. That’s missing paint.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Helmet

As for the other pic, I don’t believe you can’t see the horizontal line inside the red circle. That’s not a reflection off the ceiling, that’s a big ass scratch under the paint. Runs half way across the lid. Maybe you just didn’t realize what you were looking at.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Orange Bumper

· Registered
97 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Alright, new risers on. Had to remove the windshield completely or the bolts wouldn't go through the holes. The windshield brackets holes are too small. I could drill them out another time.

Difference the risers made.
Wheel Tire Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire

I do like the bike without a windshield. Need the bags to widen the rear. might go with a fairing instead of putting the windshield back on. Yeah, I know my barn is a disaster.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Registered
97 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Test ride after floorboard install, crash bars installed and new risers was most excellent. Everything is exactly where it’s supposed to be. Posture is corrected, putting the right amount of pressure on the driver backrest. Not enough good things to say about how the ride is now.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
99 Posts
Reaction score
Test ride after floorboard install, crash bars installed and new risers was most excellent. Everything is exactly where it’s supposed to be. Posture is corrected, putting the right amount of pressure on the driver backrest. Not enough good things to say about how the ride is now.
View attachment 123767
What back rest did you go with?

Good point of the fairing, I am curious what it would look like with one. I have always just seen the windscreen or no windscreen

21 - 40 of 88 Posts