Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like our fat, oem exhaust for looks and sound. I think it fits the bike - large exhaust on a large bike. The only thing I really don't care for is how the tip is facing out towards the bike. If it was pointed down it would look so much better, imho. Originally I was going to cut the tip off and put on a 4" black tip with a scalloped cut, but the more I look at it the more I like the way it looks with a straight pipe. The cost of a black billet tip is also very pricey. Some of the tips are over 150.00.

The other issue with going with a tip is that I would need to do more cutting to get it to fit. Right now the hole is 3 3/4" so I think I can do the 4" fit but if I'm off it will be a lot of extra work for nothing. The good thing is that I would be stuck with the same look as I have now which I like so.....

Anyway, I'm going to get some chrome paint for the edge of the cut so it doesn't rust. TO make the cut I used a metal cut off blade on a 12" Hitachi Miter Saw. I placed a towel on my work area and once it was all square I went to town. I kept stopping to spray WD40 on the blade and cut so the chrome would not blue and the blade won't burn up. It took me maybe 10 minutes of cutting. I have a great looking cut from what I can see. I don't see any chrome flaking, bluing or cracking. I filed the edge a bit and it needs a bit more but it was getting late.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I don't want to inspire you to hack away at your chrome exhaust but from the pictures, your straight cut came out nice. Are you thinking you can cut it again but at an angle?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to inspire you to hack away at your chrome exhaust but from the pictures, your straight cut came out nice. Are you thinking you can cut it again but at an angle?
An angle cut would be very gutsy I'm not sure if I could even do it with a 10' blade. I probably would need a 12" blade. I was actually thinking of a straight tip to finish off the end but I'm not sure if it needs it: http://motorcycleparts2u.com/cobra-billet-exhaust-tip-082559-tr

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
that cobra exhaust tip would dress it up and give it a nice clean look. You might even have to cut back the center pipe a little to fit that tip on.

I also noticed that in your first post you mentioned the saw you used was a 12" Hitachi so you could put in a 12" reinforced abrasive cut-off blade for metals. I bet it makes a whomp'in big noise when the blade hits the pipe when you start cutting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that cobra exhaust tip would dress it up and give it a nice clean look. You might even have to cut back the center pipe a little to fit that tip on.

I also noticed that in your first post you mentioned the saw you used was a 12" Hitachi so you could put in a 12" reinforced abrasive cut-off blade for metals. I bet it makes a whomp'in big noise when the blade hits the pipe when you start cutting.
There wasn't any big noises but lots of sparks. I wore eye gear just incase. When I got down to the nitty gritty there was a little fire when the spraks lit up the towel. It wasn't anything a healthy pair of lungs couldn't put out. Cutting back the second pipe will take some thinking if I do go with the Cobra tip. I also found a Bassani for a little more. I'm not sure if the black tip will cheapen the look are give it a nice contrast of color. I need to see it installed to know for sure.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I hope you are all aware that if you cut through the chrome the underlying steel will most likely rust no matter what unless the stock muffler is made of stainless steel. the chrome is not only pretty it is a corrosion inhibitor so most exhausts are made of cheaper steel and plated rather than expensive stainless steel. once the chrome is worn/cut thru you will take the chance of rust. just be careful and make sure you don't mind buying a new muffler because you ruined your stock one. i took my stock one of and put it in the rafters in the garage. bought a roadhouse slip-on off of eBay. i play with that one instead of the stock one. that way if i sell the bike i can put all the stock stuff back on if needed. just something to think about.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
The Bassani looks good and much better than just a plain flat black tip.

You could probably fashion a mock up tip from a rolled up piece of cardstock and paint ot flat black.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like the oem muffler is S.S. but I could be wrong. Also, if you seal the cut it will not rust. I've looked into this and have read many users who have cut chrome and have had long term sucees without rusting. At the end of the day I can always buy a stock exhaust for 50-75.00 so I'm not going to loose sleep over this MOD. To me it looks way better over stock and it will do the best job of keeping my pipes quiet. I'm really not into loud pipes.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That looks great I wished I would of done that before buying my RH.Either tip looks good.You just made a very custom looking exhaust.Nicely done keep up the good work and ideas.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks great I wished I would of done that before buying my RH.Either tip looks good.You just made a very custom looking exhaust.Nicely done keep up the good work and ideas.
Thanks! I showed it to my wife and I got a yawn :) Any ideas for what?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Bassani looks good and much better than just a plain flat black tip.

You could probably fashion a mock up tip from a rolled up piece of cardstock and paint ot flat black.
You mean just to see how it looks? The end of the exhaust actually looks pretty good in person since there is a pipe inside a pipe which dresses up the end of the exhaust. Getting a 4" tip to fit is doable but would require a dremmel to cut out the little pipe inside the cannon like pipe and then re-cutting the cannon back about 3/4". I would be getting close to the baffle which could be a nightmare. It's one of those things where you try to figure it all out but then hope for the best the whole time you're doing it. I wouldn't have much room for any mistakes. Not sure it's worth it. Do you lock up your bike?

·
Administrator
13,690 Posts
looks good. besides possibility of rust, you might want to keep an eye out for the chrome chipping away in the future. i had a couple experts tell me when i wanted my pipes done a certain way that they didn't want to just strip just some and not all of the chrome off my pipes because over time it would start chipping away at the edges.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Can you buy those tips separately?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
It looks like the oem muffler is S.S. but I could be wrong. Also, if you seal the cut it will not rust..
I've scraped chrome off heat shields more than a few times and don't recall them ever rusting. A quick check would be to see if a magnet will stick to the muffler. If it doesn't stick it's probably stainless. If it does stick, it's just plain old carbon steel which would rust if left exposed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts