Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Who has a car tire on their stock rim for the Vstar 950? How does it feel? What size tire did you use? Please do not turn this thread into a debate for and against using a car tire. I am riding A hell of alot and even with keeping my tire pressure up where it should be I have already half worn the tire I got like a month and a half ago. 3.5k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those that did switch over, what is the learning curve? I did ride one like I said, but the tire had been on for awhile and was not perfectly square so it was not a big deal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For those that did switch over, what is the learning curve? I did ride one like I said, but the tire had been on for awhile and was not perfectly square so it was not a big deal.
If you get the right tire, a new one will not be perfectly square. In fact, you don't want a "perfectly square" car tire.

Check these out

Michelin*Pilot Alpin PA3

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Kumho/Ecsta+SPT+(KU31)

The Michelin is what I ran on my Victory XCT

I ran a Kuhmo on my Wing

The edges are rounded and provide superior traction in a corner.

It might take a couple hours riding in various conditions to get a good feel for a C/T and be totally confident with it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't say it's for everybody, but works great for me. There's no real learning curve. Just feels a little diff. at first, which ya get used to pretty quick. Start off at around 34 lbs. of air, then adjust the air down to where it starts to fill a little squirmy, then add 2 lbs. of air at a time until it feels right to you. That helps to keep from wearing the center of the tire prematurely. You will probly have to adjust the air if you ride 2 up. I have mine set for riding 2 cause that's how I usually ride. When I ride myself, which isn't very often, it feels stiff. I would drop air in tire if I ride any distance myself. Otherwise it feels like riding on a motorcycle tire to me. I run 34 lbs. in a 195/65-15 General Altimax tire and it handles great. I prefer a symmetrical tread on the tire, but some say it makes no difference in way bike handles if not. I even know of some that run, run-flat tires on their machines. And some that have used winter tires. I suggest ya shop around a bit. Tirerack.com will let ya compare tires so ya can find something you like, then you can look around for the best price. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I manage 2 auto shops so I get GREAT deals on tires :) I am actually thinking of a Michelin Defender tire. 80k milage warranty and they have the compound that keeps the same grip even as the tire wears.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I started playing with numbers as far as tire size is concerned. I see that a 195/75-16 is Taller than stock side wall by 1.07 for an overall height difference of 2.14 the width is .99 wider over all and the rolling circumference is 6.75 bigger. This all equates out to -61.99 revs per mile which will change the speedo by 4.5 MPH bringing it closer to correct as it is 7mph off now. Any thoughts on if this will fit? @sonysnek. What bike do you have? is it the 950? Thanks everyone for your input BTW.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I run the 1100 Classic. Sorry don't know if the 75 will fit. Never tried it. Might look on the "Darkside.com forum for that info though. Just read on there bout a guy who is also running a car tire in front of his ride. Even has a 3 minute video showing how it runs. Don't know if I'd go there or not. I like the bike rear tire I'm running on front though.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard about ppl running a rear on the front too.. I am not sure the advantage to that...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have heard about ppl running a rear on the front too.. I am not sure the advantage to that...
Longer mileage and takes more weight.

Generally you'd only do this on a big tourer like a Wing

Commonly known as "double-dark" (assuming you got a C/T on the rear aka Dark Side)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

if you are going to put a car tire on the back, then why not put one on the front too?

The frame leans at the same degree, front and back tires lean at the same angle in a turn.

If the idea of a car tire on the front doesnt seem like a good idea, then you understand why motorcycle tires are different.

·
Registered
134 Posts
if you are going to put a car tire on the back, then why not put one on the front too?

The frame leans at the same degree, front and back tires lean at the same angle in a turn.

If the idea of a car tire on the front doesnt seem like a good idea, then you understand why motorcycle tires are different.
Due to the design of a car tire, it would severely impact steering if mounted on the front. This does not apply to the rear. Double-dark means putting a rear Motorcycle tire on the front.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
why would putting one on the front impact the steering?!

a motorcycle steers by leaning. Both wheels lean the same amount and track the bike through the turn.

If the front wheel is impacted while steering, so is the rear wheel by the same amount.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts