Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 yammy 1100 custom trying to get some info on the rear tire going Darkside Need to know what time will work

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have a 04 yammy 1100 custom trying to get some info on the rear tire going Darkside Need to know what time will work
I think you meant what size??? What size is on it now? I went darkside on my GW and I love it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2004 Yamaha V*1100 custom it has the stock mag wheel having trouble finding a tire that Will seal the bead on the wheel tried the general RT 43 the shop I took it to put 150 psi did not seal the bead so I took that tire back And got a hankook 426 This time he got one side to seal And he held the pressure in for a while and had a heater on it to make it easier and end up blowing the whole side wall about a 6 inch rip in it the guy has mounted plenty of car tires on motorcycle wheels So I didn’t know if it was my wheel or just had to have a certain tire?
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
put 150 psi did not seal the bead so I took that tire back ...
cant help but feel like the members of this forum are being tested today.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have a 2004 Yamaha V*1100 custom it has the stock mag wheel having trouble finding a tire that Will seal the bead on the wheel tried the general RT 43 the shop I took it to put 150 psi did not seal the bead so I took that tire back And got a hankook 426 This time he got one side to seal And he held the pressure in for a while and had a heater on it to make it easier and end up blowing the whole side wall about a 6 inch rip in it the guy has mounted plenty of car tires on motorcycle wheels So I didn’t know if it was my wheel or just had to have a certain tire?
Any help is appreciated
I hope you were not standing anywhere near that guy when he did that. That dude is dangerous and would NEVER EVER touch one of my tires again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I wasn’t near it but it was very loud went back to make sure everyone was OK and it wasn’t the fact that he didn’t know what he was doing because that shop has done many Car tires on motorcycle wheels they have just never ran into this

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I’m really hoping it’s not the wheel that is the problem the way it’s designed hopeful someone on here has had one done to that specific bike and wheel maybe it’s just a certain tire with a different style of bead on the tire that works for this rim

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
what store takes back a car tire after you jacked it up to 150PSI trying to put it on a motorcycle rim?!

did they give you a refund for the other tire that you destroyed trying and failing to do the same thing?

·
Registered
565 Posts
To me, it seems like darksiders want to cheap out and want a tire they don't want to replace for 40,000 miles.
Myself, i buy a good quality motorcycle tire. If it wears out, it gives me the opportunity to check brakes, bearings, driveshaft, swingarm and a complete inspection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a local shop do it never had any trouble doing them before
But the general tire wouldn’t bead so he said maybe the so so I went back to Walmart to get a different one the hankook then he got one side to bead so let it set a few minutes to see if the other side would then boom so then came up with a story and went back to Walmart an surprisingly got my money back so unless I know exactly what other people are putting on there 1100s I’m not going to be guessing on a tire again

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
the short answer: There are no car tires that 'fit' on a motorcycle rim.

As a tire spins, the centrifugal force generated makes the tire’s bead seat to want to pull from the rim’s bead seat and during cornering, the lateral loads placed on the tires want to push the tire away from the bead flange. As alluded to, in the design of the rims there are two things other than just the circumference of the rim and the air pressure that help hold the tire on. They would be the bead hump, and the bead lock. The bead hump helps keep the tire help against the bead flange and the bead lock helps keep the tire from pulling away from the bead seat.

The bead lock is formed as the shape of the face of the bead flange and how the bead flange meets up with the radius from the bead seat to the bead flange. On a car tire/rim combination has a 6.5mm radius. On a motorcycle tire/rim combination has a 2.5mm radius. The bead flange on a car tire is 17.5mm tall and the bead flange has a radius of 9.5m radius on the face. On a motorcycle the bead flange is only 14mm tall and it has one radius in the middle of 12.5mm and a 3.0mm radius on the very top of the face.

The bead hump is quite different in shape and size from a car rim to a motorcycle rim. The bead hump is a little larger on a motorcycle rim versus a car rim because of the extra forces generated while the motorcycle is cornering. The bead hump is placed in a VERY critical location on both rims. On a car rim it is 21mm from the bead flange to the center point of the bead hump. On a motorcycle it is placed at 16mm from the bead flange to the center point of the bead hump. Why this is critical, is the respective tire that fits the respective rim will have a matching size bead seat of both the rim and the tire. So by placing a 21mm bead seat (car tire) in a spot only allocated for 16mm. (Motorcycle rim) the car tires bead seat is sitting on the bead hump not down by it allowing the bead hump to help hold the tire on the rim. Thus this where and how a car tire can dismount from a motorcycle rim.

As far as rim widths, they are the same for both the car rim and the motorcycle rim with the following exception. The 5 ½” rim, the car rim is only .5mm smaller than a motorcycle rim and there is no 7” or 7 ½” wide rims for motorcycles.

The Bead Flange (the area of the rim where the bead of the tire seats against the side of the rim)
Car Rim 17.5mm (.689")
Motorcycle Rim 14mm (.551")

The Bead Seat (the area where the tire sits on the rim in between the bead flange and the bead hump. The bead hump is what helps keeps the bead of the tire against the flange of the rim)
On a Car Rim it is 21mm wide with a 5* positive slope.
On a Motorcycle Rim it is 16mm wide with a 5* positive slope.

The lower inside corner of the rim where the bead flange and bead seat meet for the bead to interlock the tire in to the rim also known as the bead lock (the respective tire will have a matching size radius):
On a Car Rim it has a 6.5mm (.256”) Radius
On a Motorcycle Rim it is 2.5mm (.098”) Radius

The outer bead flange radius (the top outer edge of the rim):
On a Car Rim it has 9.5mm (.374”) radius
On a Motorcycle Rim have both a 12.5mm (.492”) and a 3mm (.118”) Radius

The fact that it is possible to force a car tire onto a MC wheel and get it to hold air does not make it viable. Not even getting into all the other aspects of the profile of the rest of the tire design, the beads and rims of the two types of tires are NOT designed to be interchangeable.

I don't know of anyone that makes a motorcycle wheel/rim with the dimensions to match a car tire. In many countries it is illegal to put a car tire on a motorcycle, so I doubt anyone will produce such a wheel.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Not sure if this helps. But, per the owner's manual the tire specs are:
Front tire:
Size:
XVS11V 110/90-18M/C 61S
XVS11VC 110/90-18M/C 61S
Manufacturer/model:
XVS11V DUNLOP/K555F
XVS11VC DUNLOP/K555F
XVS11V BRIDGESTONE/EXEDRA
L309
XVS11VC BRIDGESTONE/EXEDRA
L309
Rear tire:
Size:
170/80-15M/C 77S
Manufacturer/model:
XVS11V DUNLOP/K555
XVS11VC DUNLOP/K555
XVS11V BRIDGESTONE/EXEDRA
G546G
XVS11VC BRIDGESTONE/EXEDRA
G546G

I pulled this from here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No it doesn’t really help me just because I’m trying to find a car tire that will work on it not a motorcycle tire But thanks anyway

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
we are trying to help you and we are being as nice as possible

you already destroyed two tires and dumped the cost back on the store you bought them from

you already had someone try to mount two tires onto a rim they are not designed for.

Car tires have stiffer sidewalls, esp ride-flat tires, and they are very difficult to get to pop the bead in. Even when you inflated the 2nd tire to 150psi it did not pop in, it blew out the side wall.

There is nothing wrong with the tire. There is nothing wrong with your rim. There is no right size car tire for your MC rim.

And even if it pops in, it cannot possibly seat correctly, ever.

If you want to promote destroying tires and taking them back to the store for a refund, and putting car tires on a motorcycle, some of us will not sit by in silence.

If the store put that first tire you jacked up to 150psi back on the rack and sells it to someone else, it will most likely blow out at highway speeds and people may end up dead.

How much money are you saving again?!

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/examining-the-“dark-side”.9/

·
Registered
909 Posts
Josh, going darkside isn't a good idea no matter how anyone tries to justify it unless most of your riding doesn't involve much cornering. Motorcycle tires are designed with cornering at a lean in mind... car tires are designed for vehicles that don't lean so they do not work well on motorcycles. Sure you'll hear all kinds of BS on the internet about how well car tires handle on a motorcycle through turns but if you believe that I have a bridge in NYC I can sell you and you should believe me when I tell you that I jumped from an airplane with an umbrella and floated safely to earth back when my name was Mary. Look at it from a practical standpoint, if car tires worked well in turns and offered longevity wouldn't you think that endurance motorcycle racers would fit the best racing compound car tires to their bikes instead of motorcycle tires or do you think darkside keyboard jockeys are smarter than the experts and have more insight as to what works best?

Do you have a sidecar attached to your motorcycle? If so then there might be some justification in considering a car tire.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not that I have darkside knowledge.. but i did find this reference site for going darkside..

Darkside Tire Info Center

Shows tire size and make suggestions for make and models.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Not that I have darkside knowledge.. but i did find this reference site for going darkside..

Darkside Tire Info Center

Shows tire size and make suggestions for make and models.

Good luck !!
Very diplomatic of you, props for that, but I tend to be a little more cynical (Diogenes) and contentious willing to debate this topic. IMO Darkside has much in common with this group:
https://www.tfes.org/

You be the judge.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I know there are several people on this forum that ride with a car tire on their back wheel

I know there are some MC riders that tip the scale over 300 lbs, or ride two up with a bunch of gear, and really exceed the weight limits of their bikes, and need something more robust on their wheels.

If someone wants to experiment with putting a car tire on their own motorcycle, and is willing to take responsibility for what happens, and for any screw ups they make along the way, I don't have a real problem with that.

But if someone is stressing tires way beyond what they are designed for, and then taking them back to the store, where they could get put back on the shelf, just to get their $30 or $40 back, I have a problem.

That could be my daughter that goes in that tire shop, gets that trashed tire put on her car, and ends up in a wreck with my grandson in the car.

If you Eff something up, man up and pay for the damage you did yourself. The kid behind the counter at Walmart would never think in a million years that someone would put a car tire on a motorcycle wheel, pump it up to 150psi, then take it back off and back to the store and say "uhmm... it doesn't fit my car..."

·
Registered
246 Posts
Very diplomatic of you, props for that, but I tend to be a little more cynical (Diogenes) and contentious willing to debate this topic. IMO Darkside has much in common with this group:
https://www.tfes.org/

You be the judge.

I guess my perspective is CHOICE.. He was just asking for information, not trying to debate the Darkside .
I can see the pluses and minuses of going Darkside.

Not my place to judge someones choices. I know a few guys with GW that went darkside because of the long mileage and stability on the highway.. there are posts of people doing the Dragon on them.. so there are people doing it and succeeding. Yes it changes your riding and you have to relearn the bike from the square tire but I'm not judging what someone else wants to do and it's not my place to talk them out of it. Obviously he has decided but was just looking for more information.

Please don't take this the wrong way but how many repairs or maintenance items on our Motorcycles say "See Dealer " in the owners manual and sometimes even in the repair manuals but we still do it ourselves and use websites like this one for resources and succeed at our task.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts