Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
No disrespect intended. Again with the dark side debate? Sounds like a PAC to me. The engineers designed the bike to run on "those" tires. Why mess with it? At best, it's good enough. At the worst, it causes an accident..? Why try to convert others? Sorry I don't understand why this pops up again and again?
--

Expressing an opinion is not either a debate or an attempt to change others. It's info on an option. That's what we do on these community opinion sites. Closed minded people don't like to hear anything that is contrary to their belief.

--

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I think one of the main issues is milage. 10 to 20 k compared to 80K. I am a stock guy but am curious.
--

Pat,
I've been researching and using a car tire for over ten years. It's up to each person, I think, to consider any changes they're going to make to their bike. The canard that you can't change anything on a bike that the "engineers" put on it when new is pretty silly. We change things all the time, from mufflers, to handlebars, to seats, to air cleaners, etc. Usually the belief that everything made by a large corporation is perfect is naive.

As with any change anyone makes on their bike/car/house, it's probably a good idea (and certainly doable these days with internet) to research so one does what seems to be the best thing for them. No one idea is perfect. As for the plan of going Darkside, any Darksider will be happy to tell you what they like and dislike, but really don't give a fig what you do in the end. Just don't tell me I'm wrong because I disagree with your opinion.

--

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think one of the main issues is milage. 10 to 20 k compared to 80K. I am a stock guy but am curious.
I have no issue with it, but I did ride a VStar 1300 with a car tire on the back and was not comfortable turning the thing. I am not exactly a knee scraping leaner in the corners, so it's more of a comfort thing, with some mental stuff thrown in. The guy was good enough to let me get on the road for a few miles in a loop, he followed on my bike. That was enough. Your results may differ.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I had a car tire on a 1960 Panhead, some may remember they used to make a Harley tire that was almost like a car tire, this was in 1978, mainly flat turns and interstate driving.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have no issue with it, but I did ride a VStar 1300 with a car tire on the back and was not comfortable turning the thing. I am not exactly a knee scraping leaner in the corners, so it's more of a comfort thing, with some mental stuff thrown in. The guy was good enough to let me get on the road for a few miles in a loop, he followed on my bike. That was enough. Your results may differ.
--

I'm not a knee scraper either (as you know from when we rode together), but I always run out of nerve on leaning in turns before I've ever run out of rubber on front (with a stock rear tire on) or my rear (on my cruiser and my tourer). In fact today twice I surprised myself when I dragged floorboards on turns. I honestly didn't think I was leaning that much. But of course, the tire never blinked. I'm pretty used to the slightly different feel of a flatter profile tire in turns.

--

41 - 45 of 45 Posts