Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went darkside on my bike. Car tire that I am running is a fusion 205 60 16. I like the ride the handling and the price. 115 mounted and had no problems. DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mike u ride a 1300 or what? I gotta 950 but I wanna know if all the clearance issues are the same. M/T I went as big as 185 and seems to have plenty more room.

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I ride a 1300 Deluxe. I am not for sure about the 950. If your stock tire is a 170 I would say that it would fit because the 170 is 7 inches wide and the 205 car tire is [email protected] inches wide. Hope this help you out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ok like how does it lean with that on there? it looks like square where the motorcycle tires are rounded? im lost never heard or seen this done before...will it work with tubes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It goes around the corners just fine. Go to you tube and look at the darkside clips there are a bunch of them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hope it works for y'all, and I wish you the best, but I just can't do it, I went ahead and ordered a reg MC tire. Good luck guys! Thx for the info though, maybe later I will try it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
810 Posts
I hope it works for y'all, and I wish you the best, but I just can't do it, I went ahead and ordered a reg MC tire. Good luck guys! Thx for the info though, maybe later I will try it

There's not much hoping it works. Instead, there is knowing it works. I'm not sure where I found this picture, and I hope they don't mind me sharing, but this is an answer to the question "How do you corner with a car tire?" I've been able to cut curves a LOT better with a car tire.

And here's a picture of the Altimax on mine. You can see where the wear pattern is going to be by the darker color. I had the boards almost on the pavement right before this picture. And I didn't go up in a ball of flames!! ;);)

·
Registered
882 Posts
A car tire actually has more of a contact patch than a MC tire. And yes it works with tubes.

In a straight line, sure it does. But, that disappears at angle, right?

I considered car tire on bike for awhile because my Strat goes through tires every 3-4,000 miles and I put on about 10,000 miles a year.

The more I read up on it, it all boils down to three things you can't get around.

Design of a car tire v. a motorcycle tire. A bike tire is made for leaning, a car tire is not. The sidewall stress is different.

Engineering of a bike wheel v. a car wheel. The bead, the seating of a car tire on a motorcycle wheel is problematic. The potential for catastrophic blow out can be addressed with tubes but, it, the risk, is still there. They don't go together.

Rubber. At the end of any analysis, my Strat eats tires because they are doing what they are supposed to do, give good grip. Motorcycle grip. Strats are big, a lot of torque both because of the motor and the gearing and people tend to ride them fairly hard. The tire wearing is simply it doing what it is supposed to do; give up rubber to give you traction.

A car tire lasts longer on a bike because of the larger contact patch but also because the rubber is not as 'sticky' as bike tire. It's not supposed to be because cars don't lean nearly as much and there are four of them.

In any event, I considered it and it's not for me. I couldn't reconcile a wreck due to using car tires on a motorcycle where I, if I was lucky, get to explain to the medics how much money I saved.

I'd be happy to hear how I am wrong on any or all of my conclusions because it is an interesting idea.

·
Registered
810 Posts
In a straight line, sure it does. But, that disappears at angle, right?

I'd be happy to hear how I am wrong on any or all of my conclusions because it is an interesting idea.
Actually, there is more contact patch with a car tire in a corner. People have less contact with a mc tire than they think. I would venture to say I have about twice the contact patch with a car tire. The sidewall will flex and keep more rubber to the road. I can run the curves much faster now. A moderator on the mcdarksiders site claims he can scrape boards on wet pavement. Try that with a nearly treadless mc tire!

All the engineering hype is just that. Car tires have MUCH better rubber than mc tires. They grip better and last longer. Period. Car tires are sticky in the corners.

Beads are the same.

I researched for a year, and once I made the decision, I wondered what all the hype was about.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Actually, there is more contact patch with a car tire in a corner. People have less contact with a mc tire than they think. I would venture to say I have about twice the contact patch with a car tire. The sidewall will flex and keep more rubber to the road. I can run the curves much faster now. A moderator on the mcdarksiders site claims he can scrape boards on wet pavement. Try that with a nearly treadless mc tire!

All the engineering hype is just that. Car tires have MUCH better rubber than mc tires. They grip better and last longer. Period. Car tires are sticky in the corners.

Beads are the same.

I researched for a year, and once I made the decision, I wondered what all the hype was about.
Yup.

Larry, I have a female friend who has put about 38k on her Strat in less than two years. She runs a Goodyear Tripletread...just try keeping up with her in a straight line or in curves! Seriously, she scrapes in nearly every turn, and she has never once been uncomfortable with it.

Every time someone tries to give me a hard time about my decision to go darkside I remind them that car tires were very commonly used on motorcycles until the MC tire industry exploded & all the anti CT propaganda began circulating.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm a relatively new rider but I'm Very interested in this. Keep it going. :)

Well, I could go on for a while, but I will keep it short:

Positive:
*Half the initial cost and 4 times the life of a mt.
*Better handling in rain
*Better cornering, rain or shine.
*Better braking....in the event of a rear lock-up, the bike will stay straighter. Yes, we have all done it at some time. :eek:
*Smoother ride.
*Does not follow the linear grooves in the pavemet. Really nice bonus.
*I get to display a Darth Vader emblem :D:D
*I don't need a kickstand (just kidding!)

Negative
*Under 15 mph is a bit odd. Not bad, just different.
*Some shops won't mount it for you.
*People like to flame you and tell you it can't be done and you will end up dying in a firey crash because a car tire can't work on a motorcycle. (I haven't yet, and I don't know of anyone who has.)

Admitedly, there is a small learning curve, but if one has ANY experience on a bike, it will take just a couple of trips around the block to get the feel. Like I said, under 15 or 20 mph, it can feel strange....maybe a bit wavy in the front end in tight turns like in a parking lot, but no more so than when I switced handlebars and had to get used to that. There is a difference, but it is neglidgeable, not bad, just different. My wife said she was a little nervous because I was taking some of our usual curve a lot faster than before. Now she just sits back and enjoys the ride. :D Here is a good website with LOTS of info: http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

1 - 20 of 99 Posts