Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a bit of reading lately about going darkside. I think when I replace my rear tire this year I might try out a car tire. Just curious if there's any darkside riders on here?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
810 Posts
There are several of us here who embrace the darkside, and many who don't, and the discussions get a bit heated. Some say will surely die if you go darkside, while others have put tens thousands of miles their car tire with incredible results. Darkside tires don't work for everyone in every situation, but for some of us like me, it is the best option.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have over 40K on the DS on my liner but why do you want one on an 1100, I always ran over 16K on the rear and over 20K on the front using ME880s on my 1100 classic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
389 Posts
The DS is not for everyone and every bike but the liners avg 6-9K on the rear so that was three rears a year, running Avons.
That was $800.00 a year, after the first year I went to a General 215-60-17 and would never do that again, loved it 75% of the time, tolareted it 15% and hated it 10%, after it wore down I put a 205 on and and am quite happy with it.
Remember this is on a Roadliner and I ride 20-over30K a year so it's out of necessity, I wore out one new tire in one month, I also run a Pilot Activ rear tire on the front for mileage.
Unless you ride a whole lot of miles a year there is no reason to go DS, especally on an 1100.
Jim

·
Registered
810 Posts
Unless you ride a whole lot of miles a year there is no reason to go DS, especally on an 1100.
Jim
Why not? Where I live (Hoosier state), it makes great sense. The OP is from Iowa, and I think his riding would be similar to mine?? We have some challenging roads, with gooves, pot holes, sand, rain, tar snakes, grass and various other obstacles, and the car tire handles them with ease, much more so than the mt (in my opinion). Have you ever hit your front brake on a road with a surprise patch of sand on it? Not fun, so we sometimes rely on the back brake a little more in that situation, and the car tire is MUCH more stable in the event of a slide. Then, for those brave enough to weather the cold, there is sometimes the chance of a surprise freezing mist or flurry on occasion. If I get caught in one of those, I will be glad to have the ct under me. It won't help the front much, but it will help in acceleration, braking, and stability. For mountainous regions, I would not recommend it; choose another option. But even though someone does not ride a million miles a year, it can still be benificial.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm definitely not putting 30k a year on my bike, as I'm really only able to ride 8 months out of the year. But I do like saving money as much as anyone, and the added stability would be a definite bonus.

Roads around here get messed up within one season of them paving due to our winters. Going down the highway bikes love to follow those tar snakes, and from what I've been told a CT is significantly less prone to act that way.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The only thing I can add is if you think a CT is more staple on grooved or rutted roads than you better put one on and try it.

·
Registered
810 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am considering going to the dark side and would like to know what size tire is need for 1300 tourer? I have a 170/70/16 mt on it now, do the ct sizes match? Also what's the biggest change besides price and miles?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I am considering going to the dark side and would like to know what size tire is need for 1300 tourer? I have a 170/70/16 mt on it now, do the ct sizes match? Also what's the biggest change besides price and miles?

I've seen where there is a BF Goodwrench tire in the 195/65 16 that works. With the side wall flexing it's just a different ride that you adjust to after a few hundred miles. Of course that's true of putting any new tire on a bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've seen where there is a BF Goodwrench tire in the 195/65 16 that works. With the side wall flexing it's just a different ride that you adjust to after a few hundred miles. Of course that's true of putting any new tire on a bike.
so the larger tire (170 vs 195) will work? I was concerned about it being too big. what would be the width difference between the tires?

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts

I put a 205 on my 1300 non-t, and I wish I would have went a bit narrower. I went with the majority, but it seems that a lot of people want to stuff the fattest thing they can get into the fender.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts