Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today makes 1 week without the Wing and 1 week with a SVTC. I must admit I thought I had made a mistake as the v-twin is not the smooth flat 6 but each day I like the SVTC better and better. The wife is even warming up, if I could get her some armrests and highway pegs I believe we could have a convert!

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
I thought I had made a mistake as the v-twin is not the smooth flat 6
What are the primary differences as in how the engine feels, what does the Goldwing do that made the SVTC seem not as smooth in the first week?

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Probably the Power Pulse. The flat six has no rider feedback.
On a GW you put some pressure on the throttle and the bike quietly and magically surges ahead

as if some giant invisible hand is pushing it...

Very much like a sail boat when you pull in the main sheet in a strong breeze.

If that is not enough rider feedback, then ?!??!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the primary differences as in how the engine feels, what does the Goldwing do that made the SVTC seem not as smooth in the first week?
Probably the Power Pulse. The flat six has no rider feedback.
On a GW you put some pressure on the throttle and the bike quietly and magically surges ahead

as if some giant invisible hand is pushing it...

Very much like a sail boat when you pull in the main sheet in a strong breeze.

If that is not enough rider feedback, then ?!??!
If you have never ridden a Wing it is kinda hard to explain but it is the "feel". The flat 6 and v-2 are very, very different. IMO if Honda built the SVTC with the flat 6 it would be the best long-distance touring bike for a decade to come. KCW comes as close as I could get to explaining it, on a Wing you twist the throttle and you accelerate, on the SVTC you twist the throttle the engine rumbles to life and pushes you faster and faster, nothing wrong with either, just different.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you have never ridden a Wing it is kinda hard to explain but it is the "feel". The flat 6 and v-2 are very, very different. IMO if Honda built the SVTC with the flat 6 it would be the best long-distance touring bike for a decade to come. KCW comes as close as I could get to explaining it, on a Wing you twist the throttle and you accelerate, on the SVTC you twist the throttle the engine rumbles to life and pushes you faster and faster, nothing wrong with either, just different.
Right, nothing wrong with either. It has to satisfy the expectations and demands of the rider. If a bike does...it is the bike, for that rider! So...all good....

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I want that. Sailing and magic....
sailing is very surprising and addictive

it feels very much like the boat is alive, because the wind is blowing sideways across it and the boat surges forward.

Catamarans can sail faster than the wind is blowing.

I think that why, going back thousands of years, sailors have given their boats and ship names. It feels like a living thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts