Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every now and then on these and other forums a post is made where someone wants to find a smaller, lower profile helmet, but still be safe and have on that is D.O.T. certified... When I first got my Vega helmet i wanted the same thing. I have a decent sized grape and this helmet added a good 8-9 inches to the top of my head. Im all for being safe(a novelty helmet was not an option) but I don't want to look rediculous at the same time, so i started searching and found that Daytona claims to have the lowest profile 3/4 helmet while still being D.O.T. certified( a requirement here in NY where I live). So after a little bit of looking i decided to get one.

The cheapest place to do so is not from here the Daytona website but from discount helmet factory. (Daytona recently raised their prices on the 3/4, as such DHF did too )

Okay so the mini review part..I ordered mine in Gun Metal Grey.. It comes in a nice metallic finish covered in a shiny gloss. Here you can see it compared to my Vega helmet it...Its a good 1.5 inches or so shorter. The vega is made of plastic and the daytona is made from fiberglass, it is alot lighter.

While 1.5 inches isnt all that much, the main difference comes from how its worn. My vega has real thick padding and it just seems to sit on my head, which is why its so high up. with the Daytona, your head actually goes into it, so it sits alot lower.

Here is the side to side

The helmet came with a helmet bag, mesh do-rag, and a visor. The only complaint i have overrall really is the visor. It is literally twice as long as the visor on my Vega. Not only does it look silly but it also cuts into the upper part of your vision a bit.

Just a little review, there really isn't too much out there on low profile helmets, hopefully this will help some.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thats funny! I'm following along, read JesseCarmack's first post and went HUH? then scroll down to bevo1981's post and about fell out of my chair with laughter!!

To funny..

So basically a pic of the helmets on the OP's head, side by side?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yea that, kinda like the youtube videos where they show the helmet and talk about how low profile it is,well then show us how low profile it is!.

Also helmet talk i got emailed a coupon for motorcycle superstore 20% off already on sell items so it is a good time to go shopping people. Bell revolver for 80 bucks...but i feel like i will need that money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Every now and then on these and other forums a post is made where someone wants to find a smaller, lower profile helmet, but still be safe and have on that is D.O.T. certified... When I first got my Vega helmet i wanted the same thing. I have a decent sized grape and this helmet added a good 8-9 inches to the top of my head. Im all for being safe(a novelty helmet was not an option) but I don't want to look rediculous at the same time, so i started searching and found that Daytona claims to have the lowest profile 3/4 helmet while still being D.O.T. certified( a requirement here in NY where I live). So after a little bit of looking i decided to get one.

The cheapest place to do so is not from here the Daytona website but from discount helmet factory. (Daytona recently raised their prices on the 3/4, as such DHF did too )

Okay so the mini review part..I ordered mine in Gun Metal Grey.. It comes in a nice metallic finish covered in a shiny gloss. Here you can see it compared to my Vega helmet it...Its a good 1.5 inches or so shorter. The vega is made of plastic and the daytona is made from fiberglass, it is alot lighter.

While 1.5 inches isnt all that much, the main difference comes from how its worn. My vega has real thick padding and it just seems to sit on my head, which is why its so high up. with the Daytona, your head actually goes into it, so it sits alot lower.

Here is the side to side

The helmet came with a helmet bag, mesh do-rag, and a visor. The only complaint i have overrall really is the visor. It is literally twice as long as the visor on my Vega. Not only does it look silly but it also cuts into the upper part of your vision a bit.

Just a little review, there really isn't too much out there on low profile helmets, hopefully this will help some.
How about a side by side pic, looking straight at the front of the two? I was looking at the biltwell, but they don't seem to taper down much. The rockhard american really tapers nice to the contour of the face.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have the Rockhard American Classic and love it, but would like to have a second helmet being I am always in the Rockhard, just for a change wear something else and another color too.
That for posting your review, its a great help and I will check this brand out.
I like the Fiberglass Shell, Rockhard has the same thing, much better feel to it then plastic.
Fiberglass will chip when dropped, not a big deal, got a small surface chip after using it almost a year now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
BP -
Did you ever get the Daytona helmet??
If so, want to give us your thoughts?
As my helmet gets beat up this thread caught my attention but me no hear anything further! :eek:)
I did. I like it a lot, I really question how it could possibly be DOT approved, since it is about as thick as a novelty helmet! but if I was worried about protection I would be wearing a simpson bandit right? I will say the quality of the Rockhard is nicer, as in the lining and finish. Over all the Daytona is thin , light and legal, yea! }:)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Really not much too say about it..this is a good thing though...Fits nice, light weight, low profile.. One thing I found is you have to have it pretty tight if you're going to be doing some riding at a decent pace, but I have found this with a bunch of other helmets as well so it's not a big deal at all. The finish is nice and cleans up easy as well.

Heres another pic..

You can see compared to the Vega it's a good inch and a half to 2 inches shorter

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks Irishman - BP ... got it saved in my bookmarks.
Cant hurt to have a second helmet to try for fun, yes, I like the Rockhard too but something to switch out now and then, who knows.
If its DOT, its Dot ... sounds good.

Of course like everyone I got some others collecting dust *L*

·
Registered
21 Posts
One more thing. I bought the one that looks in the pic like it has a custom flake style paint job, well it is not paint, but rather stickers under clear coat. looks ok, just not as good as the pics.

·
Registered
845 Posts
One more thing. I bought the one that looks in the pic like it has a custom flake style paint job, well it is not paint, but rather stickers under clear coat. looks ok, just not as good as the pics.
Thank you for that. Think I will stick with what I have then.
Im very happy with the Rockhard. Just thought it cant hurt to have another. Might still check it out if a solid color around.

Its kind of frustrating getting a good 3/4 helmet. I do NOT want flip down visors etc. Again, the one I have is great and I mean really great, it would be nice if I could find something exactly like it with a removable liner ...etc
Thin and LITE is important too. Heck I dont even have to wear a helmet in my state but I do, so give me something thin, light, comfortable with features and skip the flip down visors etc please! *L*

·
Registered
845 Posts
I just found it in flat black, $59 delivered so I got something to think about today. ... hmmm ... or do I try to look like I am saving money to my wife by not buying it in case a nice deal on a Harley Road King comes along *LOL*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts