Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Dead bike

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  afaycasaym 
#1 ·
So I rode my 04 Roadie 655 miles this weekend. On Saturday I did a 215 mile ride. Towards the end of the ride my fuel gauge stopped working and the fuel light would blink 8 times then pause and blink again. I figured I knew how far my bike could go on a tank of gas so I didn't worry about. Yesterday I did a long ride 440 miles. I must have stopped and started at least 10 times during the course on the ride. No problems. It was a hot day as we rode thru Victorville from Big Bear. We pushed the bikes pretty hard riding at 90 mph a lot of the time when possible. Well at about the 400 mile mark we stopped to take pix of the ocean. Was stopped for maybe 5 minutes. When I went to start nothing, nada zilch. I had to pop start my bike and limp it home. Obviously the charging system took a dump. Is this common? Any input or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

#2 ·
First check your battery connections. They can become loose with vibration. Make sure they are real tight. Also check the battery cables. I had mine break at the ground connection. The blinking lights is your fuel sending unit. If the battery connections are loose, this may correct the problem. If not, you can remove the unit and clean the contacts.

#6 ·
I checked all the cables and connections. Everything was good. I put the battery on a charger. When it was fully charged I checked with a meter. 13.03 volts I turned the key to the on position it dropped to 2 volts. Re checked in off pos, 12 volts then on again 1.5 volts. Battery is toast it appears. Looks like a new high output stator, regulator and battery just to start. Who knows what else after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.