Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new to me 2008 Stratoliner. Only service that has been done was by the owner. In talking with the local dealer was told that it needed a 16000 mile service. According to him it was an important one that checked valves, bearing, repacked neck bearing and lubed linkage. How many have had this done and how many have not. Do not mind having it done if it is really necessary. I ask because i have a 2005 vtx 1300 that I now have 65000 miles on and have done all the work myself. Bought bike with 2000 miles on it and it has been trouble free.
The Strat I bought rides and drives like new and just turned over 17000 miles. Valves do not rattle and it is smooth in its operation. Planning to leave in 4 weeks for a 2 week 6000 miles to Yellowstone. I plan to change the engine oil and gear oil next week so that will be done. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Did the dealer tell you how much the 16,000 mile service will cost?

The owners manual for my 650 says things like: replace all the o ring seals in the brake calibers and master cylinder, replace the brake hoses, lube the steering head and swing arm (are you sitting down?) every TWO YEARS !

Uhmmmm.... no.

If you can get to any of the valve tappets without taking the bike half apart, check those (maybe the exhaust valves?) if those required adjustment you might want to check the intake valves.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the dealer tell you how much the 16,000 mile service will cost?

The owners manual for my 650 says things like: replace all the o ring seals in the brake calibers and master cylinder, replace the brake hoses, lube the steering head and swing arm (are you sitting down?) every TWO YEARS !

Uhmmmm.... no.

If you can get to any of the valve tappets without taking the bike half apart, check those (maybe the exhaust valves?) if those required adjustment you might want to check the intake valves.
Cost was going to be about 700.00 plus parts. Book calls for dealer service every 8000 miles I think and he said this was a bigger one because it involved the valve adjustment, bearing check/repack and linkage lube. That is alot of money if it is not really necessary. Can most likely do much of it myself over time as I learn how as I have done on the vtx.
I'll see if I can get to the valves. They sound ok. The vtx did not need adjustment until 62000 miles and then not much but had began to rattle in one cylinder a little bit.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
rattling valves are ok. Its when the valve face wears down, it gets too tight, and then no longer closes all the way. Then they start to burn the exhaust valves, or backfire through the intake valves into the carbs.

the really quiet valves are a problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
i don't even think my owner's manual even suggests maintenance intervals for lubing the shift linkage. that's a new one to me. replacing seals, o-rings, cables/hoses on a production yamaha cruiser probably isn't needed inside of at least 4 year intervals. 4 year intervals is what is recommended on my 950. i would think the most important thing to check would be valve clearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts