Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time letting one go down. Not sure all what happened, but there's a skid mark about 100 feet before the turn, an easy turn I've taken numerous times. So maybe an animal? There was also a couple there, and they moved my bike, and left when the cops came. All hearsay to me, so who knows what happened.

Went down Saturday night leaving a wedding on my way back to work, woke up Sunday morning. Don't remember any of it, but at least I was wearing full gear. Helmet looks like the bike went on top of it. I think the bike went end over end. I went into a ditch. Nothing major wrong with me, luckily! 4 stitches above my right eye, some fractures in my forehead and upper head. Face looks like Mike Tyson did a number on me, and a road rash tramp stamp on my lower back and sore shoulder and a bruised lung. But other than that I'm ok!

Everything is done on the insurance end for totaling out the bike. Just gotta figure out what I'ma get next I guess >:) Would love a FJR1300, but can't really afford one of them, maybe a FJ-09. Not quite the protection I'd like though. Might go with a 90s GL1500 too. I dunno, I still feel like crud so I won't be getting anything for a bit anyway.

Wear your gear folks!

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Glad you say you are ok but it still sounds like you got pretty beat up. Even with a helmet on you had fractures and cuts? That must have been a strong impact and not remembering the accident is really scary. Hope you get better quick. Keep is updated.

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
MSP, I'm with everyone else in expressing my relief that your injuries were not any worse. The areas that you don't remember now will return. Don't beat yourself up on you could have done differently, rejoice in the fact that you'll ride again no matter what bike you choose to get. Thanks for sharing this with us, and God's speed on your recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
a wedding you say hmmm were you maybe drinking a little, i would think something was in front of you to make you lock it up, 100 ft of skid is a lot in a turn surprised you kept it on two wheels even that long. usually skidding in a turn will instantly low side you. anyway feel better soon and remember that helmet probably saved you from being a plant in a bed for the rest of your life. i always get flack for wearing a helmet in a state that doesn't require one but someday it might just be the difference between being a plant or riding on

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hopefully your recovery is fast and complete. From the looks of things you are very fortunate to be here giving us this account of your incident. Safety gear is just that, safety gear, good for you. Augie

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
maybe you leaned really hard and something hit the ground and levered the wheel into a skid. when you feel up to it look to see if any hard parts hit into ground the 950 has terrible ground clearance to begin with, pay attention to bracket under the floor board for grinding marks

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno, the bike is already gone, I'm just waiting for the check. Both my floor board brackets have more than just grinding marks, I scrape those on a fairly regular basis. I know the limits of that bike. I would not have even began to initiate a lean I was so far away from the turn. Something ran out, or someone was coming the other way in my lane. Only two options that make sense to me. Which makes me mad, cause I received a ticket for "failure to maintain control" or some such nonsense blanket statement, when no one was there to witness it.

I dunno guys, no idea what happened. I'm a good rider, took both the MSF basic and advanced courses, I've rode a lot. I've ridden all the wonderful mountainous twisty two lane back highway roads Arkansas has. Only thing that would make me lock up would have been an animal, or someone in my lane. Now the caveat is, I'm sure I was going faster than I was supposed to, but that bike isn't massive, it slows down pretty quick and easily w/o locking up. And drinking wasn't a factor, I left work, arrived at the wedding, and was there long enough for the ceremony, and was headed back to work.

But its is or was, whatever it was. Thanks for the well wishes, and I'm lucky to have been wearing my gear. Just gotta go buy more now! Oh, and a new bike :D

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
Interesting you received a ticket as there were no witnesses or unknown contributors. In my state, ms, unless an officer witnesses the wreck, no citations can be issued unless it's been proven that alcohol/narcotics or driving on suspended/revoked drivers license, and that apparently weren't the issues. Get well first, however I'd fight the citation so it doesn't go on your record and cause any issues with the insurance company down the road, just a suggestion mind you. Even though I'm a veteran sheepdog, I've never understood how a citation could be issued in a situation similar to yours.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting you received a ticket as there were no witnesses or unknown contributors. In my state, ms, unless an officer witnesses the wreck, no citations can be issued unless it's been proven that alcohol/narcotics or driving on suspended/revoked drivers license, and that apparently weren't the issues. Get well first, however I'd fight the citation so it doesn't go on your record and cause any issues with the insurance company down the road, just a suggestion mind you. Even though I'm a veteran sheepdog, I've never understood how a citation could be issued in a situation similar to yours.

Only thing I'm worried in fighting it, is the judge (if they even know better) were to ask me why I have such long skid marks on a road that isn't very fast to begin with >:) All I know about length, distance, skid marks etc, is hearsay. Though I doubt there's pictures, and I do need to get my butt back there just to check it out. I may today if I feel up to driving.

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
I understand your point. If you feel like going to the scene, take lots of pictures. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
And are you sure that the skid marks were yours? Yes, and what about the couple that helped you out? Were they close enough to have seen what happened? And can't believe they can issue you a ticket if no one was around to see what happened. Do they do that when some one hits a deer or other animal as well? Crazy laws.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow. Really glad your injuries weren't worse. And judging from your pic, wearing a helmet probably saved your life! I really appreciate your willingness to share all of this, pics included. Your experience is a good reminder for me to not compromise on wearing a helmet. Out of curiosity, what type of helmet were you wearing?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow. Really glad your injuries weren't worse. And judging from your pic, wearing a helmet probably saved your life! I really appreciate your willingness to share all of this, pics included. Your experience is a good reminder for me to not compromise on wearing a helmet. Out of curiosity, what type of helmet were you wearing?
The helmet was Bilts Techno Bluetooth helmet, modular. Funny thing is reading reviews, the opinion being you're paying for the bluetooth, therefore the helmet itself is probably low quality. This may be true, however I myself, and my wife both own this helmet, and have both been in motorcycle accidents now, and this helmet has saved both our heads. She hit a deer at 55mph.

So my opinion is this; it may be a "cheap" helmet, but I feel in reality it doesn't matter. They all must meet certain DOT requirements. That's why there is a standard.

So if wearing no helmet offers you a protection of 1, and wearing a helmet offers you a protection of 10, wearing a 'cheap' helmet offers you a protection of 9.5. Its my theory. :smile:

Here's a link BILT - Techno Bluetooth Modular Motorcycle Helmet - Modular - Helmets - Street - Cycle Gear

The picture of the two is with hers, she had the same helmet, but the upgraded version the "evo". And since has gone back to the one I have, just because of pricing.

So the first picture is the main hit I guess on the right side. Either I hit so hard, or some of the bike landed on it, because the sides are very squishable compared one with no damage. The second pic just shows some scraping and the plastic vent piece broken off the back. The third of course is ours together. She landed on the road so she had more scratches of course. The forth shows the front opened up, which was how I was found. Something hit, or I hit so hard it broke the tabs that click and keep the front closed and opened it up. The last is the inside. I buy and wear my helmets like its supposed to be, snug. Even after breaking in, snug. I'll be buying the same helmet. Not because the accident, but because its a BT helmet, that obvious keeps us alive. And the price is good. And I'll never not own a BT helmet again, they're wonderful. I don't care if I buy a new Goldwing, I wont use that outdated comms. BT works wonders.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
So my opinion is this; it may be a "cheap" helmet, but I feel in reality it doesn't matter. They all must meet certain DOT requirements. That's why there is a standard.

So if wearing no helmet offers you a protection of 1, and wearing a helmet offers you a protection of 10, wearing a 'cheap' helmet offers you a protection of 9.5. Its my theory. :smile:
I agree, 9.5 is way better than 1. I wear an "economical" helmet too, HJC IS MAX II Modular. As much as I would prefer an open faced helmet, seeing you and your wife's helmets are a testimony to wearing modular/full-face.
I'm amazed at the lack of damage to the front of your helmet, yet you took it pretty good on your forehead and brows. Your helmet must have hit the windshield or handlebars with significant force.
Very happy you and your wife were wearing helmets when this happened. Thanks again for sharing your experience!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Only thing I'm worried in fighting it, is the judge (if they even know better) were to ask me why I have such long skid marks on a road that isn't very fast to begin with >:) All I know about length, distance, skid marks etc, is hearsay. Though I doubt there's pictures, and I do need to get my butt back there just to check it out. I may today if I feel up to driving.
it all depends on what caused the skid braking or sliding, if it's a solid braking skid you can pretty much tell if vehicle was speeding, one time when a cop saw my skid mark he said " you never had a chance " because the skid was so short before impact. he looked at the damage and the length of the skid and knew i wasn't speeding and arrested the other driver for an unsafe turn, people turning left cause the most motorcycle accidents, i can attest to that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts