Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yep i have seen alot of that. i would not pay 12k for anything but the most tricked out custom liner out there, and then it would have to suit my taste not there's so like that would ever happen.

Also vstar 1300 up the road 2008 model guy wants 8700. i laughed pretty hard.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah...that's kind of a lot. Buy like, maybe 6 grand. Considering that new 09's with no miles on them are going for $8000 (roadliner) and $9000 (strato).

A good chuckle nonetheless.

·
Registered
882 Posts
... a smart husband telling his wife "I am trying to sell my bike!"

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2646962997.html
Survey says "B" LOL

Buddy of mine did that last spring with his 2007 FLHTCU when they needed some cash. The dealer offered him $11k. He put it up for $17,500. Found their way through and we're going riding this weekend I hope.

I test rode a BMW k1200LTC last week and they offered me $5k for my '08 Strat.

:D

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
I see what you mean Bevo, this was EXTREMELY difficult to understand the meaning of his post :D:D:
it was. because his asking price is a starting point for negotiation. it's $2K lower than a new price for that model, and his accessories were probably several thousand dollars. the paint job alone could easily have been at least $2K-$3K. could have very low miles on it since it wasn't posted. so when you actually take a moment to think about it, it's not that unreasonable of an asking price. so where's the humor and sarcasm now? debunked. so again, i don't get it. because i took a moment and thought about it

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have to say im going to go against bevo on this one, the thing about most upgrades is they count for nothing to a buyer,3k paint job? Only if the buyer likes the color 2k under dealer? dealer will finance and there are usually specials. Just in general 12k is just not gonna happen.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to say im going to go against bevo on this one, the thing about most upgrades is they count for nothing to a buyer,3k paint job? Only if the buyer likes the color 2k under dealer? dealer will finance and there are usually specials. Just in general 12k is just not gonna happen.
Yup, parts and paint don't amount to squat if you can't find someone who likes what you've done to it. Starting too high will turn a buyer off and not even encourage them to make an offer.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WHOA! you read my mind, which is amazing because I've been told often that I don't have one to begin with :D

C'mon man! You of all people should know that on top of being the fastest color, making your wiener gigantic, and assuring spectacular bedroom performance our Blue Strats give us telepathy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
it was. because his asking price is a starting point for negotiation. it's $2K lower than a new price for that model, and his accessories were probably several thousand dollars. the paint job alone could easily have been at least $2K-$3K. could have very low miles on it since it wasn't posted. so when you actually take a moment to think about it, it's not that unreasonable of an asking price. so where's the humor and sarcasm now? debunked. so again, i don't get it. because i took a moment and thought about it
Wait...wut? it's an 06. I would love to think that liners don't depreciate more than $2k in 6 years, but come on. This guy is on crack.

$5k in trade doesn't seem all that nutso when you look at new leftover pricing. $4000 in dealer money on stuff older than 2010 makes a big difference in resale values. <sigh>

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
you're probably right that he may not fetch what he's asking for and may not understand the market value of his bike, but i'm looking at it from the point of view of the seller. he's put a lot of money into customizing it so he may feel that adds some value to the bike and shouldn't be depreciated in price as much as others do, or as much as kelly blue book does. so from his perspective, he may not feel he's asking an unreasonable amount.

and market value and kelly blue book and dealer prices aren't the end all to deciding a price for a bike. he may find someone who's interested and thinks that all the extras on the bike make it worth at or near the asking price and may not just be shopping different roadliners from one seller to another or one dealer to another. i've put a lot of time and money into customizing my own bike, and if i were to sell it right now, i'd be asking a lot more than what kelly blue book says it's worth because i would hope that someone else out there would see all the added value.

so he may seem delusional to others, but i can easily see how the seller or a potential buyer would think the price isn't too far off.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
One mans junk is another mans treasure.
So on and so forth.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts