Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A neighbor and good friend of mine is in the market for a bike. He's really interested in the Ducati Scrambler but not available in this market yet. But we headed out to check out the Indian Scout and browse the local HD dealership. A few observations and affirmations:

The Scout is just too small. I really wanted to like this bike but the size was a turn off for me.

The Victory Gunner is a cool bike. My friend loved the look and lots of torque per the dealer. I'm not crazy about the matte paint but I don't hate it. I still like the look of the High Ball with the mini apes.

I still can't tell one HD from another except for the Wide Glide. Dealer inventory is impressive but nothing among the mass of bikes excited me.

If the wife would sign off, an Indian Chief would be in my garage.

The Indian / Vic dealer in Greensboro, NC was super friendly. I thought I was talking to a sales person but he was the owner! Would definitely return to purchase.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interesting observations Chazz - as I recently visited both HD and Indian dealers in my area to window shop as well. And like you, the HD shop didn't impress. Lots of stuff , but it all looked the same, and their reps were'nt real knowledgeable. On the other hand, when I visited the local Victory/Indian dealer, I was greeted with a smile, a hand shake, and a warm welcome. I did like the Scout and if I didn't have my Roady and money weren't an issue, I would consider the Cross Country. The Big Indians are nice but for me they are too BIG ! ! ! Probably really comfy though for a long tour.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello, I feel the same about the Cross Country, if money wasn't a problem I'd have one now. I love what Polaris has done with Indian, but still can't get behind the idea to own one, just not quite my cup of tea style wise.
HD? Not a fan of the ride but mostly, it's people and the attitude that it seems to invoke. "If it's not a harley it's not a bike" "Harley or nuthin" I don't want to be associated with people like that, and there's way too many people like that already. (some don't even own a bike or have an endorsement)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm going to give the Scout another chance. The dealer only had one out of the crate and it had been damaged in transit. But allowed us in the shop to check it out. It just seemed REALLY small.

Give me a Chief, hold the tassels. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do give the Scout a try Chazz - I think you may change your mind. I test rode one a couple weeks ago, and thought it was pretty nice. It obviously does not have the bulk of the Strat or Roady, so its easy to toss in the corners, and the power is quite sufficient in my opionion.

·
Registered
417 Posts
it is a good thing I didn't look close at the Chieftain before pulling the trigger on my 1300 Deluxe. I would have spent double to own one. The Chieftain or Chief Vintage in Springfield Blue are the most beautiful motorcycles made today IMHO. Only all Springfield Blue was a 2014 color scheme. For 2015 cream and blue is the only blue you can get in an Indian.

I'm thinking the Scout is a direct competitor with the Sportster. They are both in the same price point.. It is an $11,000 motorcycle. That would explain the size and styling of the Scout. I think the bigger Indians look more like the old Indians I remember seeing as a kid.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Had a meeting today about 4 or 5 blocks from the Indian dealer.......this thread may have me in big trouble. I've got a bad case of Indianitis! That Chieftain in either Indian Red or Blue and Cream has me calculating.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts