Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - Just finished my first oil / filter change now that I got the damn drain plug out. Problem / Question is, only 2 qt's came out. I put in 3 as per the manual.

I had the bile level on a home made stand, and let it drain with the fill cap off and filter out for 15 min. Not a drop was still dripping. My fill sight glass is to the top w/ the bike still on the stand. Scared to start it now for fear that I'll blow a gasket...

Thoughts and comments always welcome for this newbe....

mk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okay

- Just finished my first oil / filter change now that I got the damn drain plug out. Problem / Question is, only 2 qt's came out. I put in 3 as per the manual.

I had the bile level on a home made stand, and let it drain with the fill cap off and filter out for 15 min. Not a drop was still dripping. My fill sight glass is to the top w/ the bike still on the stand. Scared to start it now for fear that I'll blow a gasket...

Thoughts and comments always welcome for this newbe....

mk
What model bike is it?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 650 2009. i guess there was some in the filter. The glass shows beautiful new oil.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Oil

The service manual say's 3.4 quarts total, 2.7 quarts if not filter, 3 quarts with filter change. Do you thiink you could have been a half quart or so low to start?

I guess that would mean you are a cup over filled. If you did not change filter. I don't really understand the 3.4 total. Unless that means 0.4 does not drain out?

Dave

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service manual say's 3.4 quarts total, 2.7 quarts if not filter, 3 quarts with filter change. Do you thiink you could have been a half quart or so low to start?

I guess that would mean you are a cup over filled. If you did not change filter. I don't really understand the 3.4 total. Unless that means 0.4 does not drain out?

Dave
Yeah Dave, that has me perplexed as well. I did do the filter, and added the 3 quarts w/ out any issue, no over flow or slow to add issues when I filled her. I would not have even noticed until I cleaned up and took the waste oil into the empty bottles. She seems to run okay, and shifts 100% better too.

This is my first oil change on a used bike so it could have been low to start with. The engine light has never come on which I would have thought it would if it were dangerously low...:confused:

mk

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Not real sure what you got there,but until you fire it up, it will read high in the glass, if you did change the filter, it must fill too. Run it a bit, then check your glass, after giving it time to settle back down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check it now that you have run it and make sure the level was right. Knowing you only got 2 qts out you may want to check you fluid more frequently. I always do on a new toy. Even if it is brand new. Even brand new vehicles can burn oil to the point you have to add some.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You won't blow a gasket being over full, that is a old wives tale.If it was way too full you would have lack of power and blow oil up through the breather. Also you would burn more oil than normal because the rings could not hold back that much oil.Hold the bike up level check the site glass if it's all the way to the top start the engine rev it once or twice shut it off and check the site glass again. If it's any where to the top of the glass your fine. So lets ride and keep the shiny side up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts