Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was perusing the FB "want ads" and came across this bike. Poquoson Trash and Treasure Plus

I think it's a pretty good deal if what's described as true.

So per the title of this thread. Did you get a great deal on your bike? Did you steal it for a song and a dance? Or did you get raked through the coals?

Ride smart. Ride often.

In case you cannot see the ad.

Ride smart. Ride often.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I didn't geat a great deal but i think i did ok. The $900 saddlemen bags sold it for me. I paid $2500 for my 01 1100 classic with 33000 miles on it. The condition was excellent.

vstar 1.jpg

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mine wasn't a steal, but I think it was a fair deal. It was an '08 Road Star Silverado S with hard bags and Mustang seat. Had a fair amount of other goodies that I was going to otherwise have to buy. It also happened to be my favorite color and only 16K on it. I gave $5700 back in '17

·
Registered
658 Posts
You guys tell me if I got a good deal. 2006 Stratoliner S, approx 18K miles. Ultimate rider and passenger seat with rider's backrest and sissy bar pad. $4500.00

Reactions: Jspree

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I got a year and a half ago, a 2006 Stratoliner S , with 9K miles on it , it had the bag trim, the tear drop mirrors, the front fender trim for $6300 , this included tax, tags and title from a dealer.
It had been a trade in at a Harley dealer

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys tell me if I got a good deal. 2006 Stratoliner S, approx 18K miles. Ultimate rider and passenger seat with rider's backrest and sissy bar pad. $4500.00
When did you buy it?

Ride smart. Ride often.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I paid 700 for my 01 Road Star with almost 100 thousand on it. The 08 Road Star with 4 thousand miles on it I paid 3000 for.
Dang...I'd have loved to run across that '08 deal. Had one not far from here last year listed at $2800...wanted so bad to go pick it up. But the wife would have never understood........

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got 2 great deals. I got my minty 2015 V-Star 250 with 1250 miles in October 2019 for $1900.00. And I picked up my minty 2015 V-Star 650 Custom with 1700 miles last October. It cost me $2500.00.
I got both from Craigslist in the fall. Both were listed during the summer and went unsold. I paid way less than the listed price. Late fall is the time to buy in the North East.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't know if I did, but I do know my son got a 2008 V-Star 1300 (Facebook Marketplace) with less than 2000 miles for just under $3000. Problem was, the gas had been sitting in the tank for a long time and damaged the tank lining. Another $500 in a new tank liner and replacing all O-rings and gaskets on the tanks and fuel pump and the bike runs like a champ. Best deal I have ever seen anyone get on a bike.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,857 Posts
Bought March 2013 with 1700 miles for $1700 from original owner. Put additional 65k on bike before I sold it. Only routine maintenance except starter clutch the day I sold it.. Day I got it:

Bought August 2018 for $4000 from original owner with 17k. Current bike, now with 37k miles. Only none routine maintenance item has been stator and voltage regulator. Day I brought it home:

I think I got pretty good deals on these two. Previous bikes I can't remember price. But my Honda 750, 900 and 1100 before that were all bought new as left over models at a discounted price.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I bought my 2000 RS Silverado in February of 2018 for $1,000. She had 28,400 on her. Did not start because the percocet was left on and filled the cylinders. Gas cap was rusted shut. And the tank was full of rust.
Got all that stuffed fixed for a $1,000. Within the week I bought her.
Since then, I've replaced the fuel pump, air clear, and the diaphragm, diaphragm spring and cover that attach to the carb due to a fire. Two tires. Spark plugs. Wheel bearings front and rear. Regular oil & filter changes.
She currently has 46,518 miles on her. A little over 18k miles in 4 years. The Rona pandemic caused issue to delay in parts and other things causing less miles last year.
I think I got a fantastic deal.

Ride smart. Ride often.

·
Registered
658 Posts
When did you buy it?

Ride smart. Ride often.
I picked it up last November. It also had Saddle Bag Guards, passing lamps, and lower fork deflectors installed on it. Not a scratch on it, which I've since remedied.

Reactions: Scrumdown

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked it up last November. It also had Saddle Bag Guards, passing lamps, and lower fork deflectors installed on it.
Then you got a good deal, boardering on great. But, not a steal.
That said ... I am sure are very, very happy!

Ride smart. Ride often.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't recall all the details of my recent purchases (bought 3 street bikes and sold one over the last 10 years) but I'm a careful shopper and a savvy seller and have been very pleased with all my last two low mileage deals on bikes that looked like new when I bought them and look better than new now with mods, accessories and lots of elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,981 Posts
The last two bikes were free. Keep in mind, the most expensive bikes out there are free. So far, I have spent around $1,100 on the Strat and around $400 on the XS650 (which I have not yet begun to restore).

I would say I have not been raked over the coals on any of the other 28 bikes I have ridden. Some were better values than others. Patients is key with me, I try not to buy on emotions...

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
718 Posts
The last two bikes were free. Keep in mind, the most expensive bikes out there are free. So far, I have spent around $1,100 on the Strat and around $400 on the XS650 (which I have not yet begun to restore).

I would say I have not been raked over the coals on any of the other 28 bikes I have ridden. Some were better values than others. Patients is key with me, I try not to buy on emotions...
That last line I have to deal with. I can be impulsive I have to check myself.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
The Strat was the longest for me to find, I watched the internet for 4 months before I found it. I knew I wanted a Stratoliner it was just finding the right one. I had 3 to look at in Daytona when I found mine . One had a split saddlebag, one was bone stock except for a lowering kit ( which I would have had to remove), the last one is the one I bought.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
658 Posts
Patients is key with me, I try not to buy on emotions...
Am I doing something wrong? I thought that emotions play a big part when it comes to motorcycles. I guess its a good thing I haven't been at this as long as some you guys have been.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,981 Posts
Am I doing something wrong? I thought that emotions play a big part when it comes to motorcycles. I guess its a good thing I haven't been at this as long as some you guys have been.
When I bought the Rocket III, I used six weeks of my eight weeks allotted by the bank to spend my dockets. I test rode ten different new bikes before I made my final decision. Emotion was involved to a point, it is real hard to get over starting a Rocket II for the first time. But I did wait three days after the test ride before I bought it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts