Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you click on them the info pops up. The top is the mc tire and the bottom is the car tire. The mc tire is clearly thicker with stronger side walls as you would expect of a tire designed to lean. The car tire is designed to run fairly flat on the tread.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you click on them the info pops up. The top is the mc tire and the bottom is the car tire. The mc tire is clearly thicker with stronger side walls as you would expect of a tire designed to lean. The car tire is designed to run fairly flat on the tread.
That's what I thought and thanks for the verification.

The fit to the rim for the bike tire is also, pretty clearly, significantly better. I don't know how 'fair' this is in terms of the dark siders feeling like their views are properly represented by this example?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well it does look like a pretty wimpy car tire but ever since I heard about dark side I've been thinking it has to be an awfully small tire to fit most bikes. I would think any fire that small would be designed to fit tiny, low performance economy cars. That is what we seem to be looking at in this photo.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well it does look like a pretty wimpy car tire but ever since I heard about dark side I've been thinking it has to be an awfully small tire to fit most bikes. I would think any fire that small would be designed to fit tiny, low performance economy cars. That is what we seem to be looking at in this photo.
Ok, but, again, to rehash the whole pro-con argument, assuming these pics are a fair enough representation, MC tires are designed to lean and to fit to a MC rim, and, especially, the bead. Car tires are not. Even the pro dark side vids showing car tires on bikes, a camera from underneath showing the contact patch, show this huge distinction.

Car tires would make perfect sense if you never lean because they have far more contact patch than a MC when going straight.

Past that, any grip a car tire is designed to give is in context of having 3 more helping out so, harder compounds with less grip make sense because there is help, a balance between OK grip and longer lasting.

For a bike, frankly, wear says "GRIP". A tire wearing is the result of friction and, on one extreme would be a really sticky tire that doesn't last long at all and the other would be one that lasts a long time at the expense of grip. So, somewhere in between is the ideal and the ideal is going to be based on bike and riding style.

You go into a corner pretty hot and think of the enormous pressure on that tiny contact patch, the ONLY thing keeping the bike from sliding out. I'll take more grip. That's why I kept going with the Exedra's so long; I had zero complaints about the grip.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My car tire looked nothing like that when I took it off. I compared the beads and it looked the same as the motorcycle tire.

As far as grip, car tires are designed to flex, so in some cases, you have as much or more of a contact patch than a motorcycle tire. Besides that, car tires are designed for MUCH heavier vehicles, so our light weight (by comparison) bikes are not going to take the tire to any limits.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Debate

The argument that you can never win. ;)
I know that with my car tire I can lean 'till I scrape hard parts.
I have better traction in the rain.
It gives a smoother ride.
It is not noisy.
I can patch it with a plug.
I don't have to go to the stealer to get a good deal on a tire.
It lasts a lot longer.
It is cheaper.
It looks great.
It makes darkside haters happy that they have something to argue about.
I don't get WHY they feel that they have to convince me that it's a bad idea.:rolleyes:

JJ

·
Registered
882 Posts
Larry Gude.. I was wondering "what" model Exedra tire YOU went with??......................And in what price range was it??
Last time I bought one, they were something like $175?

I have given them up and am using a Michelin RC II Have nearly 4,000 miles on it and they are in great shape. Would be at the end of the Exedra's by now, averaging about 3,500 miles before they are done.

Following are links to describe them, not a recommendation, pro or con, to purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Commander-Motorcycle-Tire-Rear/dp/B005J88JJ2

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/130-70-18-190-60-17-bridgestone-exedra-g851g-g850g-tire-kit/330-B-139.aspx?gclid=CMX0r4GI3cMCFVQmjgodyDoAIQ&gclid=CMX0r4GI3cMCFVQmjgodyDoAIQ&jadid=6540341880&jap=1o1&jkId=gpt:pt_198464&js=1&jsid=36240&jt=1&jr=http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/130-70-18-190-60-17-bridgestone-exedra-g851g-g850g-tire-kit/330-B-139.aspx&gclid=CMX0r4GI3cMCFVQmjgodyDoAIQ

Hands down, the Exedra is the better tire and if price/mileage were close, I'd go with them every time, but it is 2:1. I don't know how far I will get on the Mich, but others have said 8,000 plus and I am well on my way to that.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks so much... I will have to get a new tire for this years riding...
You are welcome. Glad to offer my opinion.

If you ride pretty aggressively in the corners, don't do a lot of miles or don't care about the cost, go Exedra. Fabulous grip, but that is why they wear out so fast. Better in the rain, too.

I'm good with the Mich because I'm not good with the cost and I ride dirt bikes so I don't mind a little sliding when I'm a little hot into a corner. Same thing in the rain. Just not as sure footed. Of the two, there is a bigger difference in wet performance than dry. That's the trade off with better tread life.

So, if you're nervous at all when things get close to the edge and might not react properly, ie, panic a bit, chop throttle too much, brakes too much or not smoothly, I'd pass on the Mich RCII.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am not an aggressive rider, as when I was younger. But, I do like to put the hammer down every now and then...and blow out the cob webs..lol We do lots of miles on our daily rides. Not much in to the twisties. I just like to get on the road and ride, rain or shine.. So, I am looking for the mileage geter...lol The car tire really makes one think... I really appreciate your view..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts