Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leather jackets are cool of course, but I can't stand it when they are brand new.
I bought a whole bunch of WWII-era style "A-2" jackets as promotional items for my resaurant, but they are all brand new and boy do they look it!
A jacket like that has to have some "patina"...it's got to look "lived in" and like it has a lot of adventure and stories to tell.
So, I didn't feel like waiting around for 20 years and wearing it everyday so I decided to fake it.
First thing I did was spray alcohol on it and throw it in the pool! I let it soak in the bottom of the pool for about 1/2 hour to get the leather good and soft.
Then I took it out and screwed it up real tight and scraped on the bricks around the pool. Then i opened it back up and just slapped it around on the ground a few times, and rubbed some areas like the elbows and the collar a little extra.
I let it drain and dry in the sun, then put it in the clothes dryer for about 1/2 hour to get the leather all crackly and soft.

voila! instant 20-year old looking jacket!

Oh yeah: My wife thinks I'm nuts!

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
USAAF, huh. Mm-hmmm

I wear a G-1 myself, and it had been "lived in" long before I started riding..... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soory, no spares! They only sent me the exact number I paid for!

However, I didn't buy them all...there are plenty left for you guys!

Just Kidding.

These are imports, so they aren't that expensive. $65/each in lots of 12.
They are very nice and well constructed. The only obvious visual difference from an authentic A-2 is the 2-piece back. Only a real nut or a collector would notice that though.

These are converted/modified into "Flying Tiger" jackets, with an authentic repro of a "blood chit" on the back as well.
It all ties in with the theme of the restaurant.

This one I will just wear plain, no other patches or mods.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts