Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of customizing my V Star 1100, in doing so I am removing the rear seat and installing a luggage rack. The luggage racks on the market are more decorative than functional so I decided to make my own. I used 1/2" pipe with 3/8" solid rods and caps on the end of the pipes and powdered coated it black. It may not be for everyone but I like the look and it will look good on the bike when done.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
it looks pretty solid. How did you fabricate it, are the smaller bars "fishmouth" ground out and welded/brazed to the pipes, or did you drill out holes in the pipes?

Im not that great with metal work. I made a rear fender rack to attach the trunk to my 650. Used the side rail bolts for attachment points, I did not want the fender to be the weak link. The only racks I could find for the 650 looked like they are designed for letting cookies cool off after you take them out of the oven.

can see it somewhat in the garage photo of my VS650

<=

there needs to be better ways to attach driver's backrests for all these bikes - ie - to the fender rails.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drilled holes in the pipe nipples and welded the rods in place. I am not a welder, just bought a mig last year and I am learning.

I camp occasionally and have a touring bag so I made this piece that can be easily attached when needed and I can also reinstall the rear seat and put the pad onto this sissy bar.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts