Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temps hit 80F here today. Went riding with a buddy this afternoon and we stopped for coffee after a while. Got talking to other riders and probably spent about an hour in the coffee shop. Anyway, all this time my black 1100 is sitting out in the sun. As I'm walking across the parking lot towards my bike, I can smell gas and naturally, I check the ground around my bike and see no leaks. So , I'm thinking it's a car parked nearby. While putting on my jacket and helmet, I hear a sssssss sound and bend down to realize it's the pressurized air (from sun heating the tank) escaping from my gas cap and then I can see the vapor rising from around it. I don't think this is normal. At the start of this season, I found the screws loose in the cap and tightened them up. Did I miss something in the cap or is it time for a new one?

·
Registered
84 Posts
How full was your tank? It is a vented gas cap, so that's what they do when the inside pressure is too high...vent. I try to avoid filling my tank to the last drop unless I'm planning on riding straight through to the next fill up. While you are at it, make sure the screws in the bottom of your cap are tight. They have a habit of coming loose from the factory and taking a swim in your tank.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tank was probably 1/4-1/2 full, so lots of heated air to expand and escape thru the vent. Likewise, I don't like to fill the tank to the very top unless I'm headed out on a ride and know I'm going to be burning up some of that gas. I read about the loose screws in the gas cap on here and made sure they were tight this spring when getting the bike ready for riding season. That was kind of what I was asking, if when I tightened those screws if maybe I did something or might have missed something it the cap.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you could hear it hissing and see vapors coming up one would assume it was venting as it should. Maybe it was just a combination or factors that caused it to be somewhat extreme.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The gas cap is doing what it was designed to do. It's relieving pressure so you tank don't expand. I have the same problem with my 650 custom. Nothing to worry about my friend.

thanks,
Delkster

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have a Goldwing which happens to be a dark color too and I've never seen it do this when parked out in the hot sun. Maybe it doesn't vent thru the cap like the V Star. I'm just afraid it could ignite or worse explode if someone was smoking nearby. I was a good 30-40 feet away from the bike and the gas fumes were real strong. Concensus here is it's normal, guess I'll just make sure I park across the parking lot away from everybody just for my own peace of mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts