Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have new tires I need to get mounted on my '09 v-star 1300 tourer and I'm wondering if I need to get tubes too. I do not have spoked rims. Do I need to use tubes or is it just a good idea?

I am also thinking about mounting them myself which I know is a chore but would save me $140-$175. Is balancing easy to do without a machine or should I just pony up and have the shop do it?

·
Registered
418 Posts
You shouldn't need tubes for the 1300 tourer if you bought tubeless tires. I have a 2015 1300T and I buy my tires on-line and then have the dealership install them. That is the best scenario for me. They have the tools and the know how and time is valuable to me. Good luck, be safe, Augie

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your question: Do I need to use tubes or is it just a good idea?

You don't need tubes with cast wheels and it's not even a good idea. I can usually repair a tire puncture during a ride on a cast wheel with a tubeless tire without removing the wheel (about a 10-15 min job). Can't do that with a tubed tire even with cast wheels, since you're using the tube valve which may leak if the tube is damaged. Spoked wheels with tubes will have to be removed from the bike for repair. Using a tube in a cast wheel would be like putting a tube in your car tire. Just my $.02. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
As others have said, you don't need a tube for a cast wheel. Just check yer valve stem when ya change tires. And as far as balancing, since yer doin it yer self, look into balance beads. I change my own tires myself also. I even put a car tire on rear, and a rear tire on the front of my 1100, and I use both the Dyna Beads, and another brand that I wanted to compare with the Dyna Beads. Can't remember what they're called at the moment. But they both work great. No shimmy, shake, or other vibration that I can detect. And I didn't even do a static balance first. They work by constantly balancing yer tires while ya roll. Truckers use them in their tires also to get extended life out of their tires. Good luck in whatever ya decide ta do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts