Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone painted their own bike using a spray can? I saw that Colorrite.com has a spray can kit that you can spray paint your bike with oem paint and I guess if it's done right it should look like how it did coming out of the factory. I was wondering if anyone did spray paint their own bike and how did it turn out?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I painted an old car with rattle cans once. If done carefully with the right technique it can look almost as good. Maybe as good. I'd say that the smaller areas as on a motorcycle would be a lot easier to get a good finish.

I have seen some amazingly good paint jobs done with spray cans.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used Colorite rattle cans on hard saddlebags a couple of times. Got a great color match to a Suzuki pearl white. Paint finish was less perfect compared to a pro painter but was certainly acceptable. Key is go slow and prep well. Also don't over clear coat as is will cause yellowing over time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a real shitty paint job on it now. It looks ok from a distance but once you get next to it you can tell it wasn't done very well. The previous owner painted it by dipping a plastic shopping bag in the paint and rubbing it on. He didn't clear coat it so it shouldn't be too hard to get the old paint off. I never painted anything with a rattle can so I'm a little nervous about screwing it up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was also considering to DIY on a chin spoiler I plan on adding to my Roady. Maybe my summer project along with a painting a full wrap front fender. If not, I'll take the pieces to my local paint shop that has painted some car pieces for me in the past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts