Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
From what I see tread is good. How old is the tire and how do they ride. Rubber becomes hard with age and lose grip. Tires over 5 years old are nearing the end of usefulness. Here is how read date code.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Id say no. Dont see any dry rot.

The rear tire looks great, cant believe it has 12,000 miles on the tires. It looks like your front tire is the original tire and the back has been replaced once - usually the front tire will last for two rear tires.

The front tire has wear bars molded into the thread. When its worn down you will see horizontal bars across the tread gaps. (not there yet).

I dont see any on the back tire.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is very little difference in wear between the rear tire and the front tire. The front one is dusty and that takes away relief in the image. I keep my bike at my daughter's place and there is about a mile of gravel road to get to her house.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
do you think they are original tires?

looks like a dunlop tread pattern? at least on the front.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It may just be the way the light is hitting it, but the front looks like its due for a change. Tread is ok, but wear pattern isn't. As soon as you ride it with a new tire on it will make sense. Back looks fine.

·
Super Moderator
6,019 Posts
I agree that the front tire is getting close to needing replaced, the rear looks good to me. It’s true you’ll generally replace two rears compared to one front one, just been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ain't nuthin' like a fresh pair of tires to make your ride feel even more confident. I got over 16,000 miles fro my Dunlop Elite 3's. I like a more sticky tire. That rubber looks hard for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
--

To be sure of where you are on amount of tread, use a tire gauge and measure tread depth when new, then write down the depth periodically (I do that about every 6 months or with some other work on the bike). Down near 2/32" is time they need to go. Although most owners will change out before a trip if they think they'll need tires while on the road as you can never be sure if what you want will be available.

--

1 - 9 of 9 Posts