Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let the cages rattle and the thunder roll. heated topic and i want to see what you guys all think about it. can't remember seeing a thread on this on this site so here goes.

i personally don't believe that loud pipes save anything but your piece of mind. if you want to get aftermarket pipes for any number of reasons: looks, sound, power, status, etc., fine. i love aftermarket pipes. have some myself. but when someone says they got their aftermarket pipes because they 'save lives' then i gotta cry BS. if it makes you feel safer or more secure when you ride to have them on, then great. piece of mind is a great reason. i just don't think anyone should make such a proclamation when there's nothing to suggest they do or don't except maybe a personal story of yours which may or may not even suggest anything.

i'll add more opinions later after i see what some of you have to say. but here's a Michigan study i found that analyzed thousands of motorcycle accidents and it's the most factual data i've seen regarding this topic. it suggests to me that there is really no correlation between motorcycle accidents with or without aftermarket exhausts and other motorists. take a peak and make your own conclusions.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123--135253--,00.html

·
Registered
451 Posts
There was a report a while back i think it was called the hurt report. Statistically more bikes with aftermarket exhausts were in wrecks than those with not,but the data could not say if that was because of so many aftermarket pipes on bikes or aftermarket pipes make you a little more reckless.

Anyways i am in the boat of they do not save lives.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
This is a fantastic study and I need to scan thru it a few more times because I was focused more on which types of multiple vehicle (M-V) accidents tend to result in high percentages of motorcyclist severe injury or fatality. I came away from my first perusal noting that angled collisions are significantly the most common. And will agree that noise would not benifit anybody on those situations. The other statistic that I focused on was fatalities due to improper lane changes on freeways which is a very small percentage of the study's population (fault attributed to the motorcycle operator).

I encourage all to read this one and don't just focus on noise. It teaches a lot more.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Oh ya, I forgot the "boat vote",,, It's a complex study of various situations each one having two boats, you can't pick just one boat here.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My pipes are not super loud or stock hushed, I do not think anything could save you being t-boned at an intersection, other than being aware and alert.

For me, I have got out of a jam(someone squeezing my lane ect) more times using my horn. Seems I can get a drivers attention that is pulling out of a side road/street better with the horn than rattlin the pipes. Don't know if the pipes helped too, or not.

I have one foot on the dock.

The cows are nowhere in sight:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
In my opinion, aftermarket pipes are purely for the cool or performance factor. I disbelieve that any pipe with a higher decibel level than stock would save life or limb. However in relation to the horn attention getter brought to light via Sugar Bear, I LOVE my extremely loud aftermarket air horn which has brought many unaware drivers attention to my prescence.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think it's a matter of peace of mind more than anything for people who claim that they save lives.

People buy aftermarket for the "cool" factor. Example: Bevo. His pipes make his bike. Without the black V&H the factory pipe would stick out like a sore thumb. Great job not claiming you put them on there for the sake of saving you skin...

As for the horn mention: 1. Does anybody else think that the 950 horn sounds like it belongs on a 50cc scooter? 2. I end up accidentally pressing the starter button half the time rather than the horn button. Guess I'm reacting Bass Ackwards.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I'll speak up and say that in some cases, aftermarket pipes are chosen for style and appearance. I guess one could say that is a subset of coolness, but in the case of the Warrior, the only feature that 90% of buyers change first was the exhaust because the stock muffler was an eyesore to most owners. If there where no such thing as aftermarket exhausts then it can be summized that Warrior sales would have been poor and would not have been in production beyond the '02 models. I didn't go the aftermarket exhaust for the "look at me" ego boost, it just needed to be improved period. It just so happens, as with most aftermarket exhausts, it was louder than the stock muffler.

The tricky part about the study is, is that it can only afford us data on accidents that "happened" and not accidents that "didn't happen". So one consideration you must open your mind to is IF the question was worded as:

"Is it possible that a loud muffler (on a bike or other vehicle) prevented a catastrophe from happening?"

then, in the famous words of Police Chief Martin Brody, "We're going to need a bigger boat."

·
Registered
545 Posts
What's the percentage of people who were intentionally run down due to their obnoxiously loud pipes......?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
What's the percentage of people who were intentionally run down due to their obnoxiously loud pipes......?
The Warrior I owned was "obnoxiously" loud, in fact I referred to it by that very same word myself (Bub's Jughuggars).

I never got run down, perhaps couldn't catch me, therefore in my scientific research, 0%! :D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
"LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" I think is more just a sales gimmick or a patch on someones vest.I put a slip on exhaust just for the sound .I wanted it a little more throaty sounding.For trying to stay alive you really need to ride stealth,be alert keep an eye open to your surroundings and have a loud ass horn to let the dumb ass cager know your there.As for being in the boat vote I think they do nothing for saving lives.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Warrior I owned was "obnoxiously" loud, in fact I referred to it by that very same word myself (Bub's Jughuggars).

I never got run down, perhaps couldn't catch me, therefore in my scientific research, 0%! :D
Hahaha funny stuff. I laugh at cagers who give you the old stink eye. I get off on it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
yeah i agree they don't do much for saving lives...i mean the sound is aimed behind the bike...now if the exhaust was aimed forward i could see it, lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in the boat that loud pipes are for ego only not for safety. Granted I am not against a slightly louder than stock pipes, hearing good mello rumble is nice to me, ear shattering open exhaust just too much. Loud horn now thats must have, looking to get one louder for my 950t.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had close call just yesterday when someone didn't see me and my bike is plenty loud but the horn really got their attention. People in cages just don't pay attention therefore making it unsafe rather you have stock pipes or stubby drags.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't know how many, if any, accidents were avoided because of loudness.

It is a catchy saying that allows the customer to justify the purchase.

Perhaps the saying or though could be used to persuade legislature to allow loud motorcycles on the street.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yep....agreed. There will always be times when the cagers don't know you're there. The best way to avoid trouble is to anticipate it and not be where the collision would have happened.....

1 - 20 of 159 Posts