Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I mentioned how I ran off the road and part of the reason was being slung there when a glove caught my throttle. That was my fault. But more than once I've noticed that it takes nothing for me to get slammed back by the powerful torque these things have when I barely touched the throttle.

So, is mine overly sensitive? It seems to take very little to make it jump from idle to really moving. I do have after market pipes and larger jets. Still... :confused:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I have noticed that my roadstar seems a little jumpy on the throttle in the first twenty minutes or so of riding and then settles down. She only has 6K on her and is a 2013 model so she's barely been broken in and I hope to see some improvement on that after I get another 6k on her this season :D. But maybe it's a warm up issue? I do use the choke when she's cold...but again I still notice a difference after riding for a while.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Annie, no this is all the time. I can barely look at it and it's already wanting to get going. Of course, own a Thoroughbred and it's going to be a bit high strung ;-)

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Ok, so lets do this. You ride up to say...Philadelphia, and I'll meet you there and we can test ride each others bikes and see if it is your larger jets. I don't think the pipes would make any difference.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I yelled at my throttle the other day and it started to cry so ya, they are very sensitive. :)

The stock 1700 is a hot rod engine. It made my transition from crotch rocket to the Road Star Warrior almost seamless. Getting slammed back by acceleration is a beautiful thing.

BUT????

Larger Jets???? I thought all the 1700's were EFI or did the Road Star Silverado change to fuel injection in 2008?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
oopsie, I forgot he has the 1700. My 1600 is probably not as touchy. Her NAME is Princess, not her personality ;-)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have noticed that the raider is also very sensitive. Just today I started to take off, realized I needed the other lane, so gunned it to get ahead of traffic. First gear at 10mph lost traction. Have to watch that throttle!!! Think I ought to call mine 'Buck', cause it kicks like I'm riding a bull on steroids, going in and coming off the throttle!

Oh, and for those curious and not wanting to look it up, the Raider is the gas-guzzling 1900cc star bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
125 Posts
Kidding actually. I got the 1900 because I though my wife would be doing more mountain riding with me this summer. But now she is no longer scared that the bike won't have enough power, she's scared that there's too much. Dammit. Should have gotten the Stryker. More solo riding and better gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Seriously Nico - get her to an MSF class on a little 250 - borrow one for a season if you can. I truly, really, horribly DETEST riding bitch. I have been on the back of a gold wing one time - gave me the itch to learn to ride. Then on the back of a vintage "standard" bike. Then on the back of a ducati. Those two rides convinced me I needed my own handlebars. I am afraid on the back. REALLY frightened. But I have grit, and once I got through the first few halting starts, I LOVE riding. When the boyfriend went out and bought the Harley Electraglide I thought...dang, maybe I shouldn't have bothered to get my license after all. But it was hard to go back. I prefer my own handlebars for sure and still get frightened on the back of the Electraglide. And after we scraped the boards (and I refuse to think about what else) on the back of the roadie, I'll not be riding bitch on anything but that harley...and no time soon if I can help it.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Kidding actually. I got the 1900 because I though my wife would be doing more mountain riding with me this summer. But now she is no longer scared that the bike won't have enough power, she's scared that there's too much. Dammit. Should have gotten the Stryker. More solo riding and better gas mileage.
Now that's just crazy talk right there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Funny thing is, she rides. She's had her license for longer than me. But she doesn't ride as much. Last year I put in 11k miles to her 670 miles. She has her own little ninja 250ex she takes out once in a great while. Darn thing gets more dust than road grime.

Point being, she mentioned that she would like to ride with me on longer rides with my MC (Semper Fi Riders) but she wasn't happy to do it on the back of my 1200 sportster. Well I needed to get a bigger frame anyway since my legs are long (and the sportster was great around 30 minutes but then my legs started going numb from cramps). So I thought of the Stryker. 1300cc and nice long frame. Rode it and it was great. But then she started wondering if it would have enough power up in the mountains if she rode with me. That turned me to the Raider. Bigger and air cooled so easier to work on. I brought it home and she took a ride with me up the side pass where we live. She didn't like the sliding back feeling as I rolled the throttle a bit (very little actually). I don't know if its her or what, but now she won't get on the bike. She doesn't want to ride for longer than 15 to 20 minutes at a time on her own bike neither. So I guess I have an over powered behemoth that will never get to haul my little lady around with me.

But maybe.... a sissy bar, arm rails, seat strap, and personal protective cage built around the passenger seat might lure her back in?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
A small sissy bar or back rest is all she'll need. I put one on the Warrior for just those occasions when the wife would ride with me. After becoming confident in the back rest she didn't even hold on to me. And then there were times she would hang onto me which became my signal to go faster.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
A sissybar/backrest will for sure help. But, once you have been frightened on the back...it's hard to recover from. I respectfully suggest you get a couple of glasses of wine into her and discuss it. From my own experience, I think most male riders don't get what it's like to be back there. You have no control - you can't see most of the road so some of the sudden accelerations and swerves made to avoid potholes/road crap etc. are not seen by us so no matter how much attention we pay we can't anticipate those. And while I trust my man with my life (I mean, really...I got on there didn't I?) but I don't like riding rollercoasters and am scared chitless on those too. It feels a lot like that - except every day you read horrible stories about rider crashes and let's face it there are less roller coaster accidents but I'm still not getting on one of them either. the regular back seats of most stock bikes are not really comfortable unless they are touring bikes really "touted" for rider and passenger. The backseat on my 650 custom was shite. My daughter is totally digging the Roadstar's backseat and sissy bar but I'm not sure the backseat is custom -it's nice. She now has no fear back there. And, she is a more natural rider too I think as her first couple runs to the parking lot to try out the Ninja have gone very well. I'm ready to let her go get a permit and take the MSF class. (God help me because just letting her have my car to go to work for the evening makes me a nutjob).

I put 6k on last season (also my first season) which isn't bad for New England. My boyfriend probably did something akin to your 11 - but he will ride in the teens and in the pouring rain and I will not (at least until I get stuck on a trip I won't). His last trip to the dragon they spent a day in the hotel blowing up hair dryers drying out their gear from the previous two days of rain.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good reminder Annie. I know I'm much less agressive with a passenger than when solo. Also, my '07 has a carb and larger than standard jets. I think it's just designed to go hard and fast and I just need to pay more attention. I can adjust how much play the throttle has if I need to, but now it seems it's just part of the breed.

I'm planning a trip from Maryville, Tn to Syracuse, NY this season if you're out and about. We could meet for coffee and you can try my bike :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm planning a trip from Maryville, Tn to Syracuse, NY this season if you're out and about. We could meet for coffee and you can try my bike :)
Callred, If you'd like, I'm in Huntsville, AL. Not too far from your Marysville, TN. One of these fine weekends, we'll have to do coffee somewhere. I ride up to my parents house near Crossville about twice a year

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Callred, If you'd like, I'm in Huntsville, AL. Not too far from your Marysville, TN. One of these fine weekends, we'll have to do coffee somewhere. I ride up to my parents house near Crossville about twice a year
Absolutely. In fact, you'll be close to Madisonville and the Cherohala Skyway if you've ever wanted to ride it. Drop a PM when you think you'll be in the area and I'll ride over to meet up :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine had a touchy throttle, until I adjusted the carb. It wasn't properly adjusted and would "lurch". After that it's smooth. It will throw me back in my seat as fast as I roll the throttle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts