Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently test drove a Harley Sport Glide and I must say its pretty nice. The engine was amazing and so was the handling. They sure have come a long way with that Milwaukee 8 engine. Makes me think about getting one over my 2014 950 V Star Tour...but the price is the killer. Not sure about maintenance and service costs either. What I really like is 6 speeds, electronic cruise, detachable bags and small fairing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's to each their own! When I was shopping for another bike (I had a 1300 VStar prior), I must have looked at 2000 motorcycles over a 6 month period...most were HD's. The price was a factor for me because I don't ride enough to justify that kind of cost but I ride enough to enjoy it. I wanted a big bike with touring capability and of course low miles and a good history. After all the searching I found my ride - a 2006 Strat Midnight, 1 owner, 11K miles for $4K. There wasn't an HD anywhere that could compete with the price, the reliability and the performance of that motorcycle.
It just depends on what you want and what you're willing to pay. HD is more about name and status IMO...not that I'm anti-HD but I'm sure most will agree with that. It's your money and time - you have to decide for yourself.
And do the research....it'll pay off! (y)

·
Registered
201 Posts
In my opinion you can't compare a 950 to a Milwaukee 8 because they are not in the same category. One is a middleweight cruiser engine the other is a 'big' twin. A valid comparison would be one of Yamaha's big bore cruiser engines such as Roadstar 1700 or even better the Strat and Venture/Eluder 1900.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Compare the Raider to the Sport Glide, then you have an even match.
I have had 17 bikes 8 have been Yamaha, 4 Harleys. I like Harleys but something I joke about , but there is some truth to it , is HD stands for High Dollar. If you have the money and like the Harley go for it, me I don't like having to spend the amount of money Harley wants for everything they have, not just the bikes but everything , parts , accessories, everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts