Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'd that the kind where you pump it up with your foot?
If so, yes I strap it down.
Haven't used it on the R* yet but have on my klr.
I left it on the jack over night unstrapped and when I came back and opened the garage, my bike was on the floor. I had the valve cover off and all the oil dumped out on the floor. Good thing I have crash bars on that bike.
The crash bars actually are a great tie down location.
I suppose you could use the bars to strap it down?
They are just a safety to keep it from tipping over.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
Depends on what I'm doing. I have a standard Harbour Freight jack that I've had for years. Y'all heard me talk about doing a nut and bolt check every so often. Well it had been about 6 weeks so this morning I completed a bike check. I put it on the jack and did not strap it down. I did a stator install a while back, on jack, did not strap down. My bikes using this jack has been very stable, Vstar 1100 and HD Glide. The only time I have strapped it down is when I'm going to take a tire off. One key to using this style of jacks is to ensure you have the weight balanced front to back. Guess I've been lucky, never had an issue with bike on my jack and never felt insecure about it. Here's the bike on Jack during stator change, not stepped down.

·
2,718 Posts
I have strapped mine down but then I tried a floor jack to help stabilize it and it was nice and sturdy so I don't bother anymore. Now if I was going to say, lift it up and leave for the winter on my jack, I would tie it down just for some piece of mind

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
365 Posts
I don't. My jack does not have that provision.

·
5,872 Posts
I have strapped mine down but then I tried a floor jack to help stabilize it and it was nice and sturdy so I don't bother anymore. Now if I was going to say, lift it up and leave for the winter on my jack, I would tie it down just for some piece of mind
:ROFLMAO: Or you would just hang from the rafters. :LOL:

·
5,872 Posts
That works when the jack just won't go high enough to get the rear wheel off...lol.
By the way, the search feature on our updated forum is really good. I found that picture or yours in about 10 seconds.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Hey @lesblank ,I have one of those Harbor Freight lifts as well. Was only $69 and supports 1,500 lbs, so it’s perfect.
Now for those of you SVTC owners who haven’t tried to lift your bike, there IS a trick to it.
First off, the bike is back end heavy. One of the ways to help offset the weight is to NOT lift if without a FULL tank of gas. It’s still back heavy but not as bad.
Even with the lift placed as far rearward as possible, the front tire will be almost a foot off the ground before the rear tire begins to come up. Don’t let that freak you out. Once the rear starts to come up (meaning rear tire off the ground), strap the front end down through the front cross brace located at the bottom front of the engine between the frame bars. Then slowly jack it up a bit more. The front will be held down in that position and the back end will come up.
Just don’t go too far or fast. Just go until level.
It’s a lot of bike to put in the air, but remember the stability trick is to have a FULL tank when putting it up in the air.
Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Classic
25 Posts
I have a Craftsman foot pump style lift. It came with the straps. Never used the straps. After multiple tries, I learned how to balance my 1100.

That being said, using the straps is probably not a bad idea.

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
I have a harbor freights lift and a floor jack. I always strap down the bikes because I would rather be safe than sorry, just me. I use the crash bars as a location for the straps up front and the frame for the back. I used the lift when changing the oil recently on the 950t, makes life a lot simpler, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a harbor freights lift and a floor jack. I always strap down the bikes because I would rather be safe than sorry, just me. I use the crash bars as a location for the straps up front and the frame for the back. I used the lift when changing the oil recently on the 950t, makes life a lot simpler, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Ever since my bike fell off one of those jacks, it's not too hard and does not take much time to strap it down.
Just got the lift and I appreciate all the tips.
It gives me a little more confidence now.
It's kinda scary lifting that thing off the ground the first time.

My knees are already thanking me for getting the lift.
It does help. I need to dig mine out so I can clean the rims.
Another good thing about the lift is that you bike will be vertical enough to check your oil level.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts