Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Im riding if a driver is coming the other way turning left, or a driver is pulling out into traffic, if they see me and wait till I pass, esp if they wait longer than they really needed to, I usually wave as I ride by. A way to say "thanks for not pulling out and killing me". But seriously I do appreciate them being aware and patient.

Esp when someone is turning left across my path, I roll off the throttle and cover the brakes till Im certain they are not going for it.

Over the last couple years I have realized with black riding gloves you have to think about how you wave to people. Sometimes I would give them a thumbs up. But I realized they might only see a black glove with one finger sticking up... So I stick my arm all the way out, hand flat, twist my wrist.

I really wish there were more universal hand gestures for drivers and riders.... except you know, just one....

Maybe I think about things too much...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm kind of a thinker too KCW. It's OK. :)

I will wave at drivers who wait for me in certain situations. But I also have the impulse to waive at Jeep Wranglers, because that's my other vehicle. Haha.

Can't hurt to be courteous. We should all show a little more of it on the streets. Massachusetts drivers have a nickname that is "Massholess". Many can be pushy and impatient around here.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there something they put on cars in MA, so the horn blows automatically if the light turns green and the car in front of you is not already moving?

Sometimes when Im driving my car with the window open, I almost instinctively do the two finger low wave to on coming motorcycles...

almost, Ive always caught myself so far.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
I think giving a "thanks" wave is a great idea. A little courtesy might go a long way to making them more aware of bikers. It can also dispel the stereotypical view a lot of people may have about us - let them know we're not all hooligans that a few bad apples have made us out to be. I believe I'll start doing that. Thanks!

Gonna be lots of bikers here in sunny NB next week for the Atlanticade Motorcycle Festival - poker runs, main street show 'n shine, burnout competitions, guided tours, dealer test rides, not to mention RibFest. Definitely helps raise awareness with all the bikers in town. Took the week off work to join in on the festivities!

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont go through intersections that fast :^O

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also have a Wrangler in case I need to drive something with more than two wheels and I find myself getting confused all the time and accidentally waving at the wrong kind of vehicle. But I do wave at cars that are courteous, in the Jeep and on the bike. Just seems like the civil thing to do! Of course if I come across a driver or a rider who is the opposite of courteous, I may just give them the "other" wave too!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,642 Posts
I wish there were more opportunities for me to wave to nice drivers. In Houston I think it's a game to see how much they can freak out the guy on the bike. I do wave or at least nod to other bikers, get response about half the time.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there are drivers everywhere that are unpredictable

the ones that dont reallly stop at the end of a driveway or pulling out from a side street.... or they stop and then creep forward

or the ones coming the other way making a left turn, they slow down but dont stop, as if they are going to turn RIGHT behind you.

I stop when this happens. Ive had empty cars roll out in front of me into the street.

If all I see is a car moving and I cant tell what the driver is looking at or thinking... so if I have to I stop!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts