Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No - I don't wear high viz.

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
I wear a day-glo yellow helmet only because it was an unpopular color for the helmet I wanted so I got it 50% off. IMHO hi-vis won't cure the real problem which is inattentive or careless motorists which can't be resolved even if I look like a Thanksgiving Day Parade float.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
I always wear jacket, gloves, helmet and boots. All black except wine color helmet. Oh yeah, pants too but normally Dickies.😁

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wear a First gear hi-viz jacket, with a hi-viz Helite air vest, white helmet with red reflective tape on back. Black riding pants and boots that have reflective tape on them.

Bob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Typically my jacket or vest is just black leather and my helmet is flat black. I do have a jacket for rain that is yellow with reflective striping.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Also to consider is upgraded lighting. Easy cheap one on the custom is there is a reflector under the brake light. They make an led reflector the exact same size for like 2 dollars on ebay.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When it's spring, summer and fall I wear a jacket with yellow all over it. The rest of my riding gear is black though. Once it gets cold enough to warrant the quilted jacket though, even the yellow will go away.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't wear hi-vis.

In all fairness, I should say I almost 100% ride on seldom-traveled back roads where I rarely see other vehicles at all. If I was a 'bike commuter' in heavy traffic all the time I'd likely go high-vis.

It's not even an aesthetic thing, particularly. I just happen to own black gear and don't feel the need, given my riding habits/locations, to spend for another set in high-vis.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bumping thread to get more data points. I'm a 3-season, mostly day-light rider. Currently mostly country back roads, but will venturing into more heavy traffic this Spring/Summer. Seems the "Olympic" coats (Newport, Switchback, Hudson) fit me the best and I like the "CE" rating. I want to be visible & safe, but don't want to be a rolling advertisement for florescent yellow.

I currently cruise in a typical brown leather coat, but that's too hot in the Summer.

-PH

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Helmet is hi vis yellow and black. All jackets are black and yellow with the exception of my all black leather jacket and my gray cold weather jacket. But the gray jacket has very reflective piping. Usually jeans of some kind. In the summer I have high vis yellow gloves with reflective finger tips. If I am in my fingerless gloves I usually have bright orange painted fingernails.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
My thought process is this. You do not know if it will save you, because the person that was going to pull out or move over on you saw you and never did it in the first place. So why not wear it just to be that much safer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't wear hi-vis.

In all fairness, I should say I almost 100% ride on seldom-traveled back roads where I rarely see other vehicles at all. If I was a 'bike commuter' in heavy traffic all the time I'd likely go high-vis.

It's not even an aesthetic thing, particularly. I just happen to own black gear and don't feel the need, given my riding habits/locations, to spend for another set in high-vis.
I wouldn't if I was you especially if you already have everything. Going out to buy more of the same gear just because it is hi-vis seems like a huge waste of money. Id wait until you need new gear to think about getting high vis. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm wearing the Tour Master Intake Air 4.0 now (mesh jacket) - black with silver chest (the silver the is hi-rez). The black and "yellow" is just too bright for me.

I also added the Passing Lamps (stay on all the time) and the bike has the modulating high beam headlight. Now I'm planning to get the Custom Dynamics rear LED turn/running lights kit and switch the rear turn lenses to red.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't if I was you especially if you already have everything. Going out to buy more of the same gear just because it is hi-vis seems like a huge waste of money. Id wait until you need new gear to think about getting high vis. Just my opinion though.
Thanks for the feedback - my leather coat is just a "standard" leather coat I have had for years. It's heavy (which makes it hard to wear in the Summer). So, that's a long way of saying I'm buying my first "bike" jacket.

I guess I'm trying to walk the line between "Mr. Neon" and "Mr. Invisible"; but want to continue to be "Mr. Alive"!!

-PH

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
I read an article several years ago on motorcycle clothing color based on what type of road you travel on. I tried to find it again to post link but couldn't. But the short version is in the south where most roads are concrete (light colored road) that wearing dark clothing was better for visibility. In the states with asphalt (dark colored road) lighter clothing worked better. The article made sense to me, don't know if correct or not. I also have passing lights that I leave on all the time and headlight on bright during day. The other thing I did was to add some rear lights that work on both brake and turn.

I've had several other bikers comment positive on them for visibility.
My jackets are:
My cold winter jacket, Tourmaster Cascade, two tone gray.
My medium jacket, Hot Leather, black, zip out liner.
My hot weather jacket 1, Jafrum Armored Mesh, black and gray.
My hot weather jacket 2, Bilt Blaze Armored Mesh, black.
I've been using this group for several years. Two summer jackets to swap back and forth, commute daily and in Houston heat they get funky quickly (wash time). My helmets match my bike. I've thought about a hi-viz helmet but haven't yet. Hopefully you will find a happy medium that works for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been riding a red Joe Rocket jacket when cold, hi vis orange/yellow hockey jerseys when hot. Helmet wise a multicolor Shoei fullface when cold, white 1/2 helmets or 3/4 Packer helmet during Lions season

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I wear jeans, boots, a t-shirt when warm, and a flat black 1/2 helmet. When it's cooler I have a textile jacket that has orange up top. Not Hi-Viz its just the color of it. I bought it because it fit and the price was good.
I agree the hi-viz will make you easier to see but not to the point I'm going to buy some.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts