Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier, I noticed this bolt was missing from my sissy bar. I don't know what thread or lenth it was, but need to replace it before the GF gets back in town so we can ride.
The bolt isn't shown in the factory parts diagram as far as I could see.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know that's a good question, I didn't check. I'll try in the daytime. That would definitely make things easier...

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Earlier, I noticed this bolt was missing from my sissy bar. I don't know what thread or lenth it was,
According to the illustration on pp 4-4 of the service manual, the three screw/bolts fastening the backrest are identical. When reattached, the recommendation is to use Loctite and 7.2 ft./lb torque.

Bike Bandit OEM parts diagram for the backrest confirms that the bolts are identical and you can buy them for a scant $1.26 each:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2007-yamaha-xv19ctswc-stratoliner/o/m10475#sch532734

P/N 1276637

·
Registered
396 Posts
order it online

Earlier, I noticed this bolt was missing from my sissy bar. I don't know what thread or lenth it was, but need to replace it before the GF gets back in town so we can ride.
The bolt isn't shown in the factory parts diagram as far as I could see.
Mine loosened up and fell out too. i went online and ordered it. the bolt is ornamental and is a certain length so it doesn't go thru to the padding on the other side. i lost one of the tank mount acorn nuts also and ordered it at the same time. this way my bike is still factory Yamaha spec parts and not some Hodge podge pieced together bike. it didn't cost much and the parts came right to the door. probably took less time even with shipping because i didn't have to reverse engineer a stupid bolt, drive to the hardware store, buy 3 or 4 bolts of different size and length to make sure i don't have to make another trip. get home find they are either still to long or to short, cut a long one off, fix the threads i just screwed up, put it in, and it doesn't look as good as the stock one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like stratowart has an extra one. Haha I'll have to figure out a few lil things to order. I hate paying $7.99 shipping on a $1.19 part!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Stratowart, Do you want to sell that screw? One fell out of my watch that looked just like that one of yours and I can't find one anywhere. One more thing, could you please tell me what time it is?:mad:

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Sorry Dieseldave, I had to replace the pivot pin of the fuel gage needle in my PowerStroke F350 and although that bolt was a little small it should work until I find the next size bigger. :D

Oh and:

Time to get a new watch. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
How weird, mine did the same thing! The last time I was in the local hw store, I noticed they had a display of chrome bolts. So, I took the whole assy in there and futzed round with it til I got the right one (it's metric of course). I also replaced the ones that attach the upright to the lower horizontals with round headed chrome jobs. To try and keep the one in the backrest from falling out again, I just dabbed a little bit of black RTV on the threads.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't recall the exact size, I'll see if I can find the info. They didn't have a button head, so I ended up with a head that is more cylindrical in shape, still looks okay since it's chrome and an allen head. Seems like it is a M6 or M8 x 12 or 14 mm if memory serves, but I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I went to West Marine, a boat store, and picked up some stainless steel bolts. The size that would have been perfect was an M6x10 but the only ones in that size were phillips head machine screws, so I got the allen head bolts in M6x20 and had an excuse to fire up my grinder and look for a file... Dab of loctite on all 3 (wanted them to match) and it's all good to go.
Note: The M6x20 threaded in all the way. If you put longer bolts in, they just push into the padding, there is nothing for them to bottom out against. However, I reduced their length to approximately the stock size...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts