Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I have been having an issue where I'm driving at normal speeds and I'll hit a dip in the road and I'll bottom out (meaning the bottom of the frame scrapes on the road, but only at the rear of the bike). This only happens on larger dips in the road and an speeds higher than 35mph. I think this means that my rear suspension needs to be replaced, but I'm not 100% sure.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what I can do to fix it? And if my rear suspension does need to be replaced, what should I replace it with (OEM or aftermarket), and where can I get it cheaply?

Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
Probably..I encountered a similar problem last summer. You can pretty much go two routes, replace the whole assembly with a Progressive assembly, or just replace the spring with a Baron's spring, A progressive one from a certain v-star 1100 dealer, or replace it with a road star spring.

All the springs have a higher weight rating than the factory 1100 spring. If you replace just the spring, you'll notice a difference, but it's considered just a "band aid".

If you buy the Progressive shock assembly, you'll be spending roughly 5-6 times more, but it will be a huge improvement (from what I've heard).

I replaced mine with a Baron's spring and noticed a big difference, but you can still tell the shock is worn. But hey, for 50 dollars versus 400+, can't complain.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the same bike as you and had the same problem, so I turned the preload up on the stock shock 2 notches and it stopped bottoming out but the ride is alot more firm maybe even too firm.the preload on a stock shock can be adjusted up to 6 or 7 notches and comes from the factory at 3. the higher you go the more firm it gets. the bandaid is putting a new spring on a worn out shock.if you want to go the Progressive spring and shock combo the best price I found is at PHAT PERFORMANCE.COM for $339.95 US and they are in your state. thats probably going to be my choice in the near future. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
When you say replace the whole assembly with a progressive assembly, do you mean just buying a progressive spring like this:
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-suspension/2002-yamaha-v-star-classic-1100-ca-xvs1100apc-shocks/pc3?m=145704&f=2

What makes an OEM spring a band aid, and what makes the progressive spring so much better?
If you have anywhere from 20-25,000 miles on your 1100, the rear shock is most likely worn out. That is the main rear suspension issue. You can add a heavier spring to help hold the bike up, but you will still not regain any of the dampening effects that a decent shock will provide. So yes...it's a band aid and usually not a very good one.

IMO, the Progressive 465 shock is one of the best upgrades I did to mine.....by far. It's far better than the stock shock performance wise, will last for several hundred thousand miles and provides far more adjustment than the stock set up.

If you have an 1100, do yourself a favor and get an Progressive 465....you'll notice the difference immediately.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your opinions everyone! Once I get my tax return I'll upgrade to a progressive spring, until then I'll just be careful and adjust the settings to be a little stiffer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I got my new progressive spring in yesterday and I want to install it this weekend. I'm looking for tips on swapping out the rear suspension with out lifting up the rear wheel. Is that possible? If not, any tips on lifting the rear wheel would be great (I don't have money to spend on a lift but I do have a car jack and wooden blocks).

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just for clarfication..You got the progressive rate spring or the Progressive Shock+Spring?

I did mine myself about a year and a half ago, If I remember right, there's no way around lifting the wheel up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I got the Progressive shock + spring. Here's a pic. If I do end up having to lift up the bike, how can I do it without a motorcycle jack?

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll be trying to get this done on Sunday. I'll post progress and any problems in a different thread.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have any strong friends?
Haha not that strong Bevo. I'm actually going to be using my car jack to lift it up and some 2x4s to keep it off the ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts