Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the 08 Strat two weeks ago. They said all fluids have been changed. They were showing me how to check the oil and the bike was not warmed they were just telling me.

This photo was taken today after doing the warm up 30 seconds of idle with no revving. I added some to this and restarted then pulled this out. Looks dirty to me and not to fresh.

Ideas??

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rocknroll90

Go with your gut feelings. They rarely let you down. Oil & filter is cheap insurance!! Do your servicing yourself AND you know what you have!!:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a used '08 roadliner in january and the first thing I did was change the oil to Mobil1 v-twin and a new oil filter. The oil looked pretty clean (like yours) but I did it for the peace of mind. If you do it yourself, note that changing the oil is more involved than changing your car's oil. There are 3 drain plugs and the oil filter is difficult to get a wrench on. (i had to use a strap wrench). Good luck, bro.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When you say "they" who are you referencing? If you bought from a dealership chances are you got the bin oil they buy in bulk. A typical dealership will only carry one weight which is 10/40 which can also be used in sport bikes. It's unlikely for a shop to stock two weights in bulk. The 1900cc vtwin and wet clutch design demands the heavier weighted 20/50. If bought from a private owner, unless you have receipts and a good log, who's to say what they actually used. Either way, the 60-70 dollar oil change should be included as you run through all the fluids on any used vehicle purchase. I'd also plan to swap out the transfer case oil too. Be sure to use a gear oil specifically listed for GL-4 applications too, the ratings of GL-5 are not successive which means they are application specific, not that a GL-5 covers GL-4 applications. This way you know when the clock starts and stops on each of the fluids.

Also remember that a dark color is not an indicator, in fact, it does appear typical and that's actually a good thing b/c it's working. Darker color just means the oil is doing it's job cleaning internals, with the liner's wet clutch design and heat generated, it is extremely harsh on oil. It's no accident that the bike comes with an oil cooler as this is needed to keep things cool. For a quick check wipe your index finger in the oil and give it the two finger check by clinching, then separate your thumb. If the oil clings (or stands up) as you separate your two fingers chances are viscosity is fine. I know it's not very scientific, but does give piece of mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts