Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey bud - you and I are alike in that there's nothing better than a four legged furry companion. I too will be having to make a decision on our 13 year old springer/spaniel who is hanging in there with cancer. My thoughts and prayers to you and Fred dawg ! ! !

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
It looks like the link is no longer active, so I'm thinking that this situation has played out. Hoping that, if the furry friend is no longer with us, that the hearts of all involved are mending. I had to take our family dog to be put down about 5 years ago. I held her as the injection was administered. Man, I thought I'd never get over that.

Then my wife started talking about getting a dog. I wasn't up for it, but agreed to go look because this was a rescue dog who was down to his last chance. Well, Bentley has been with us for 2 years now and he is my best friend. I love this dog with all my heart. He makes me smile and laugh every single day.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
I'm right there with you about the fur babies. Taking my pit, Sadie in this morning for her 2nd round of heart worm treatments. She's a very loyal and affectionate pet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
She looks like a sweetheart. Sadie was the name of our family dog (meaning she raised our kids with us), she was an Australian Shepherd. Hope your Sadie responds well to the heartworm treatments...that can be rough on them. Daggone tick/flea, heartworm preventatives are expensive but you pretty much gotta have 'em. I just discovered the chewable Nexgard and Heartgard products. Bentley thinks they're treats, they do smell good. Better than putting the oily tick/flea chems on his skin. Heck, as much time as I spend in the woods, if I could eat something like that I would!

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
Lol, I hear ya, and thanks. She usually lays around for a few hours after her treatments so I try to schedule them when I'm off to comfort. Her and I have been through a lot together.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
True, most bad dogs I've ever gotten came from bad previous owners, not all, but most.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can't imagine our lives being the same without our beautiful little Chrissy! (purebred Shih Tzu) We got her at 7 weeks old, and that was over eight years ago. With the kids now grown and gone and the wife always working, she is always right by my side...the ever-loving/ever-faithful companion... and more intelligent than many humans I know!

Glen

·
Registered
364 Posts
Seeing that Photobucket has stolen my earlier posted doggie pics, I will re-post them here. This is our dear little Chrissy, a purebred Shih Tzu who has been such a huge part of our lives for the past decade and she's still going strong. We can't imagine a day without her right by our side. Spoiled rotten, and incredibly intelligent and compassionate, she knows all 60+ of her toys stored in her toybox by name, and she will dig for as long as it takes to find the one you requested. We are looking to get a second Shih Tzu, a companion for Chrissy, but it appears that there are no longer any quality breeders within the province. (have found one puppy to date, but they are wanting $2,800 for a female!)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
15 Posts
Arsey,

When it was my time to make the hard choice my Vet told me about lapoflove.com and the questions and support made it more comfortable when I had to finally stop making excuses. Mitzy was a great dog and deserved to be given the loyalty in return.

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful dogs. BTW Camper I never thought myself a foo foo dog kind of person but my daughter started dog sitting this summer and we had the great pleasure of watching a Shi Tzu and now I am all in what great companions they make and to see him chasing the bigger dogs just made my week.

Ron

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, the population of our household starts to grow again in just a couple more weeks! A very rare and timely opportunity came out of nowhere this week, for the acquisition of a truly magnificent purebred German Shepherd puppy, which we had just learned about a couple days ago, and we had to make a very quick, important decision, as even at such a frighteningly high price, (well into the thousands) she could become instantly spoken for without any notice, and our odds of ever finding another specimen so perfect as this one would be next to nil. As you can see in the cellphone photos below, (sorry for the poor quality) both of her parents are spectacular, enormous champion-quality purebreds, about the best we have seen in years. So our new puppy, named Sheba, is just five weeks old today and is already getting big! I expect she will be truly huge, 90 pounds or more, and with her already perfect markings, symmetry and build/posture, she promises to be a real stunner.

Attached are a couple photos of our little "Sheba", taken just last night at 5 weeks of age. We will be picking her up on the west coast of Newfoundland in just 2-3 weeks time, and we expect her size and weight to be at least doubled again by that time. In these latest pics, she is already showing so many of her GS traits, and is displaying the same markings seen in her Mom and Dad. I think she is going to be absolutely stunning when she grows up. It remains to be seen how such a large doggie will make out in our small house, but she should be fine, and of course there will be lots of regular exercise and walks down our road, even in winter... though I'm thinking that with her right by our side we likely won't need to be quite so concerned about the polar bears any more!... I'm thinking that within just a few more months Sheba could be quite intimidating, and could put the fear of God into any polar bear silly enough to want to share the road with us. Haha. So, here's the latest pics of our little girl. Also a few shots of her gorgeous, and enormous, parents.

Not sure how the new sleeping arrangements will work though, as I can guarranty that our new super-size Sheba will expect to be sharing our bed also, along with our little Shih Tzu Chrissy!! Yikes, might get kinda snug in that bed!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, the population of our household starts to grow again in just a couple more weeks! A very rare and timely opportunity came out of nowhere this week, for the acquisition of a truly magnificent purebred German Shepherd puppy, which we had just learned about a couple days ago, and we had to make a very quick, important decision, as even at such a frighteningly high price, (well into the thousands) she could become instantly spoken for without any notice, and our odds of ever finding another specimen so perfect as this one would be next to nil. As you can see in the cellphone photos below, (sorry for the poor quality) both of her parents are spectacular, enormous champion-quality purebreds, about the best we have seen in years. So our new puppy, named Sheba, is just five weeks old today and is already getting big! I expect she will be truly huge, 90 pounds or more, and with her already perfect markings, symmetry and build/posture, she promises to be a real stunner.

Attached are a couple photos of our little "Sheba", taken just last night at 5 weeks of age. We will be picking her up on the west coast of Newfoundland in just 2-3 weeks time, and we expect her size and weight to be at least doubled again by that time. In these latest pics, she is already showing so many of her GS traits, and is displaying the same markings seen in her Mom and Dad. I think she is going to be absolutely stunning when she grows up. It remains to be seen how such a large doggie will make out in our small house, but she should be fine, and of course there will be lots of regular exercise and walks down our road, even in winter... though I'm thinking that with her right by our side we likely won't need to be quite so concerned about the polar bears any more!... I'm thinking that within just a few more months Sheba could be quite intimidating, and could put the fear of God into any polar bear silly enough to want to share the road with us. Haha. So, here's the latest pics of our little girl. Also a few shots of her gorgeous, and enormous, parents.

Not sure how the new sleeping arrangements will work though, as I can guarranty that our new super-size Sheba will expect to be sharing our bed also, along with our little Shih Tzu Chrissy!! Yikes, might get kinda snug in that bed!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

She is adorable, and her parents are truly magnificent. You mention you have a Shih Tzu now. Have you had experience with larger breeds? It sounds like Sheba is going to be a big girl, almost bordering on "giant" breed size. They have their challenges, but definitely worth the learning curve and process. My wife and I share our home with a Great Dane and a Samoyed. From your post, I have no doubt Sheba is going to be lucky to have you to raise and care for her. Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
She is adorable, and her parents are truly magnificent. You mention you have a Shih Tzu now. Have you had experience with larger breeds? It sounds like Sheba is going to be a big girl, almost bordering on "giant" breed size. They have their challenges, but definitely worth the learning curve and process. My wife and I share our home with a Great Dane and a Samoyed. From your post, I have no doubt Sheba is going to be lucky to have you to raise and care for her. Congratulations!!!
Thanks MattF, for your kind post! We had a lovely German Shepherd years ago, (got her at just 7 weeks old, way back in 1988) and had her for 13 wonderful years; our eldest daughter had many awesome years growing up with this fine dog by her side. This one too was a perfect specimen, a beautiful silver shade with some black, and she weighed about 65 pounds, so our new Sheba will be substantially bigger, but yes, we are certainly familiar with the breed, as this was our first dog of several in our 32 (so far!) years of marriage.

We used to have some doubts about our little Chrissy ever being able to share her home with another dog, let alone with a big one, as she had never been around any other dogs in her nine years. But last winter our daughter dog-sat Chrissy for us when we traveled in Africa for 6 weeks, and it turns out that Chrissy got along famously with our daughter's huge black lab; in fact it only took a day or two for them to become inseperable! So this is what led us to believe that a full-time playmate for Chrissy could be in the works. We now have no doubt that they will be great together!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
I think MattF hit the proverbial nail on the head! Sheba is adorable and great looking parents. You're going to really enjoy her, congrats on the new addition there Glen. Keep us updated as she continues to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 269 Posts