Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded this back in April, but finally had time to edit it and upload it to the toobs.

This rider is the perfect example of why riders can be their own worst enemies. Not sure why he decided to flop over to the shoulder, rip on the gas and cut back into traffic....

I see this sort of behavior while commuting, guys with big bikes they don't know how to handle, with their girl on the back, no one wearing proper protective gear, music/radio blaring loud..... Ugh, so gross.

When people find out I commute on a motorcycle 10 times out of 10 they tell me it is not me they worry about being safe, it is all the other drivers.... And yes there is some merit to that, some drivers are for sure not paying close enough attention. But I also did some riding courses before I got my License with a retired CHP Officer who rode motorcycles during his career. He told me that the vat majority of Motorcycle accidents are solo accidents caused by the rider making a mistake of some sort. Lots of them are guys riding beyond their limits on the many Canyon roads we have in the area, they either cross the center line and hit an oncoming vehicle, or slide off the road into an embankment or off a cliff.

Others are like the guy in this video, Accident's waiting to happen.

That shoulder is covered in dirt and trash, he could have easily laid the bike down pulling a stupid stunt like that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not only illegal most places but a good place to get a flat.

Reactions: Klurejr

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
One shouldn't ride or drive on the shoulder.
Many years ago I'd pull over on the shoulder in my car to let speeders go by as a courtesy...until I hit and ran over a shredded semi-truck tire and tore my exhaust and dented my gas tank. Never have since.
Imagine that scenario on a bike!
Live and learn!

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,068 Posts
I pulled over yesterday to take some pics. I should have looked for a better spot. I almost dumped it trying to climb back onto the blacktop.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,733 Posts
🙋‍♂️ Raises hand. Guilty your honor.

Hot day, traffic, bike is getting hot, my inner leg above the exhaust is getting hot - yeah I've been known to do that. BTW, he darted back over into traffic because the orange construction barrels were coming up.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
when i was in California last week, we were in bumper traffic for a stretch and i'm trying to figure out what the rules are for lane splitting. we just had our 2 lanes reduced to one and there are signs stating "do not pass". so i sit in traffic like everyone else, barely moving. about 20 minutes later a biker rolls past me on the shoulder. that's my queue. i pulled onto the shoulder and followed suit. don't know if that's OK in California or not, but the road surface was good and it got me out of traffic.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,733 Posts
It is not legal to ride on the shoulder, that much I know. Lane splitting is legal as long as it is done safely, which of course leaves a lot to the discretion of LEO. Generally they don't want you doing more than 10-15mph faster than the traffic you split. That's a CHP policy, not part of the MVC. What if you split lanes but do it between the painted shoulder line and the #1 lane? I don't know the answer, but I would not do it if there was LEO observing. I also don't think lane splitting is considered passing. I think it is not the same as passing, which implies driving in lanes intended for opposing traffic. For example, in a No Passing zone, it does not mean that the RH lane cannot move faster than the LH lane. It means stay in the lanes intended for your travel direction. And lane splitting does that.

Reactions: House O' Pain

·
Registered
397 Posts
In California it's legal to 'lane share' or split lanes, if done safely. It isn't legal anywhere to my knowledge to drive on a shoulder of the highway. I've split lanes for over 30 years here in traffic bound Southern California , and most of it was through daily stop-n-go traffic. I can say, I've never driven on a shoulder though because it is not only illegal, it's very dangerous as has been pointed out. A rider pulling into a shoulder may flat out rear-end someone there broken down, and the shoulders are notorious for being full of all manner of tire popping debris.

I could tell from watching the video the rider was inexperienced, or at least behaving as unskilled (drunk?). I wonder if he was intimidated by the biker in back, so felt compelled to keep in front? Another lesson from the video is that you should give a rider in front plenty of space if they are doing anything unsafe, as you don't want to be part of his 'accident'.

Reactions: Brad_G

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i was in California last week, we were in bumper traffic for a stretch and i'm trying to figure out what the rules are for lane splitting. we just had our 2 lanes reduced to one and there are signs stating "do not pass". so i sit in traffic like everyone else, barely moving. about 20 minutes later a biker rolls past me on the shoulder. that's my queue. i pulled onto the shoulder and followed suit. don't know if that's OK in California or not, but the road surface was good and it got me out of traffic.
it is not legal. but yes many people do it anyway.

It is not legal to ride on the shoulder, that much I know. Lane splitting is legal as long as it is done safely, which of course leaves a lot to the discretion of LEO. Generally they don't want you doing more than 10-15mph faster than the traffic you split. That's a CHP policy, not part of the MVC. What if you split lanes but do it between the painted shoulder line and the #1 lane? I don't know the answer, but I would not do it if there was LEO observing. I also don't think lane splitting is considered passing. I think it is not the same as passing, which implies driving in lanes intended for opposing traffic. For example, in a No Passing zone, it does not mean that the RH lane cannot move faster than the LH lane. It means stay in the lanes intended for your travel direction. And lane splitting does that.
It was actually made into law a few years ago, no longer just up to the discretion of the Officer.

21658.1 (a) For the purposes of this section, “lane splitting” means driving a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground, between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including on both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways.
I could tell from watching the video the rider was inexperienced, or at least behaving as unskilled (drunk?). I wonder if he was intimidated by the biker in back, so felt compelled to keep in front? Another lesson from the video is that you should give a rider in front plenty of space if they are doing anything unsafe, as you don't want to be part of his 'accident'.
I cannot say for sure if he was drunk or not, but from observing his riding I just put it down to inexperience or just plain lack of skill. Shortly after the clip ended I moved over a few lanes to get around him and continue on my way. I don't like riding near dangerous riders.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
394 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Klurejr and Brad_G

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,733 Posts
It was actually made into law a few years ago, no longer just up to the discretion of the Officer.
I guess I wasn't clear. Lane splitting is legal. The speed differential considered safe/unsafe, is up to the discretion of LEO. CHP spokespersons have stated that they work around a 10-15 mph differential in training their officers.

Lane splitting has never been illegal in CA, because it was not mentioned in the MVC until recent years. That which is not expressly illegal may therefore be legal. But it was a gray area which sometimes left riders and LEO at odds. Some LEO would simply always consider it unsafe, in their opinion. In recent years it has been directly written into the code as legal.

Reactions: Klurejr

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not only illegal most places but a good place to get a flat.
I agree...every time I've taken to riding on the median to get around a traffic backup, I have ended up with a nail or a screw in the rear tire. (despite TxDOT periodically running a sweeper crew through the area fairly frequently. Debris from crashes also contribute to the hazards (I can't call them accidents, because most are caused by inattention or aggressive driving, especially since the start of COVID).

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Riding on the shoulder in Florida or Alabama will get you a blown tire more times then not from a piece of big truck tire.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I wasn't clear. Lane splitting is legal. The speed differential considered safe/unsafe, is up to the discretion of LEO. CHP spokespersons have stated that they work around a 10-15 mph differential in training their officers.

Lane splitting has never been illegal in CA, because it was not mentioned in the MVC until recent years. That which is not expressly illegal may therefore be legal. But it was a gray area which sometimes left riders and LEO at odds. Some LEO would simply always consider it unsafe, in their opinion. In recent years it has been directly written into the code as legal.
I recall when the change was being made to specifically include verbiage about lane splitting into the law that there was some specific talk about differential speeds, like actual limit numbers, but that might have been for Washington State or another state that was considering it as well. I grew up in this state and have always understood the whole legal because not expressly illegal bit.

I checked the California DMV and they just have the same paragraph shared from the CHP site:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Legal or not I would have to be determined to get somewhere in a hurry to lane split. May have been a option pre cell phone days but now…. No thanks. I still am in favor of a shock collar arrangement tied to eye location for cage drivers / truck drivers. I for one am tired of all the lane drifters traveling both the same and opposite directions especially when you see them with their cell phone security blanket in their hand.
In my work life I was stuck in a bad traffic jam when somebody got the bright idea to drive down the berm at freeway speed. Highway patrol officer pulled out and blocked them but the driver took that maneuver as a invitation to broadside the patrol car… that will for sure start your day off on the wrong foot 😃😃

Reactions: Brad_G

·
Registered
50 Posts
Legal or not I would have to be determined to get somewhere in a hurry to lane split. May have been a option pre cell phone days but now…. No thanks. I still am in favor of a shock collar arrangement tied to eye location for cage drivers / truck drivers. I for one am tired of all the lane drifters traveling both the same and opposite directions especially when you see them with their cell phone security blanket in their hand.
In my work life I was stuck in a bad traffic jam when somebody got the bright idea to drive down the berm at freeway speed. Highway patrol officer pulled out and blocked them but the driver took that maneuver as a invitation to broadside the patrol car… that will for sure start your day off on the wrong foot 😃😃
Yeah, lane drifting is incredibly bad. I still don't know why they couldn't magnetize or embed a reactive product into the line paint that would trigger in newer vehicles warning systems. I know some of the newer vehicles actually self correct. I'm not a fan of self corrections, because people become dependent and loose that driving skill even more so.

As to lane splitting, i get the idea and am not opposed to the theory, but personally I avoid it for the resaons mentioned above. One car door, mirror, drifter, or quick no signal change and it's a really bad day.

·
Registered
2007 V Star 650 Silverado
48 Posts
"I still don't know why they couldn't magnetize or embed a reactive product into the line paint that would trigger in newer vehicles warning systems "

I just spent a week in a rental car that basically did just this. It would rumble the steering wheel basically any time my tire touched the stripe for more than about a half second, either on the side of the road or even in the middle of the road if switched lanes somewhat slower than the car liked. It really did feel like I was rolling over an invisible rumble strip every time and I never got around to figuring out how to turn it off. I guess in the grand scheme of things this kind of thing will probably save some lives but good lord it was annoying

Edit: I just wanted to clarify, at no time was this occurring because I wasn't paying attention--I was driving safely and alert but it really was just very sensitive to even touching (not even going over) a stripe...

·
Registered
50 Posts
"I still don't know why they couldn't magnetize or embed a reactive product into the line paint that would trigger in newer vehicles warning systems "

I just spent a week in a rental car that basically did just this. It would rumble the steering wheel basically any time my tire touched the stripe for more than about a half second, either on the side of the road or even in the middle of the road if switched lanes somewhat slower than the car liked. It really did feel like I was rolling over an invisible rumble strip every time and I never got around to figuring out how to turn it off. I guess in the grand scheme of things this kind of thing will probably save some lives but good lord it was annoying

Edit: I just wanted to clarify, at no time was this occurring because I wasn't paying attention--I was driving safely and alert but it really was just very sensitive to even touching (not even going over) a stripe...
Haha, I had a rental car like that not too long ago. Didn't even know it was a thing. Everytime I tried to change lanes it would fight me. Took me a good 30 minutes to figure it out and turn it off.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,733 Posts
Legal or not I would have to be determined to get somewhere in a hurry to lane split.
Around here it can be a matter of never getting somewhere if you don't lane split.

I don't enjoy doing it, but I'm glad our state leaves it up to me to decide. When I do it I'm fully puckered up and on high alert. I'm kind of a wuss too, and back off if there isn't a lot of space between cars.

Back to riding the shoulder - sometimes they appear to be very clean and recently swept. Other times, like some I observed today on the I-210, did not look like it had been swept in a long time. Probably sounds like I'm riding all over So Cal on the shoulders but it really isn't like that. Rarely. And only for a good reason. Not like that clown in the vid. I'm sure there are times when the shoulder is safer than lane splitting too, but every situation is different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts