Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, buying a 650 classic today. I dislike the floorboards and heel/toe shifter......a lot.

Can the controls from the customs just be swapped out without any modification? I'd rather do it that way as opposed to modifying the existing ones as I know some people really like the floorboards and I could get rid of them easily.speaking of which, if they can be swapped, anyone with a custom wanna trade? Haha

·
Registered
491 Posts
If the controls/pegs off of an 1100 will work on a 650, I'd be willing to trade.. :) But I'd like to see pictures of them first. :)

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable as my custom had the heel toe shifter and the floorboards installed.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
They ARE NOT compatible with the 1100. I tried to swap with another member and it didn't fit, sure enough, different part numbers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yup...2 completely different bikes....

You can swap 650 boards and pegs....you just need to the mounts and linkage to go with as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Give the floorboards a try and I guarantee you will end up falling in love with them as I was sceptical at first myself . I always rode bikes with forward controls but never again will I go without floorboards as they are just to damn comfortable .

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you don't like the heel shifter...just cut it off. That's what I did when I put boards on mine. You can't even tell....

·
Registered
810 Posts
Give the floorboards a try and I guarantee you will end up falling in love with them as I was sceptical at first myself . I always rode bikes with forward controls but never again will I go without floorboards as they are just to damn comfortable .
Yep. That's what I did to my 1300. You really have to look to tell I cut it off. I also bent the shifter so it was a little straighter so there is more room for my foot. I personality didn't want to get used to the heal shifter. If I ever got on a bike without one again, I would have to un-learn what I learned. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Odd. I don't like the heel shifter either, but I just... don't use it. Don't feel the need to cut if off.

I'm a fan of floorboards myself. Like jjslips says, I find them very comfortable. In fact, I happened to hop on an '81 Goldwing last week and found the peg/shifter combo extremely awkward.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Odd. I don't like the heel shifter either, but I just... don't use it. Don't feel the need to cut if off.
I wear size 12 boots and was always getting my heel caught because there wasn't enough room, plus the shifter takes up room on the floor board limiting usable space.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wear size 12 boots and was always getting my heel caught because there wasn't enough room, plus the shifter takes up room on the floor board limiting usable space.
You gotta do what you gotta do.

For me (size 11) it hasn't been a problem. Also, maybe it's a variation between years/models, but the heel shifter on my '04 VS1100 sits a good 2" off the back and above the floorboard - doesn't 'take up' any space really. From 'normal' riding position I'd actually have raise my foot a couple inches and then move it back a couple inches to use the heel shift... versus just lifting my toe.

I agree with what others have said in any case: no interest in it. I've been 'toe up' shifting for 20 years and it works just fine for me. If it DID get in the way, I'd be the first to cut it off...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A huge part of it for me is looks. I hate the look of floorboards. I mean, I guess they're ok for touring bikes or dressers, neither of which I'm that into.

Not to mention I'm doing a bobber type thing and in my opinion, the floorboards just don't work for that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A huge part of it for me is looks. I hate the look of floorboards. I mean, I guess they're ok for touring bikes or dressers, neither of which I'm that into.

Not to mention I'm doing a bobber type thing and in my opinion, the floorboards just don't work for that.

Exactly. My V Star is set up for comfort and my VLX bobber is definitely not! Metal seats, small pegs, and short straight pipes don't do well on long trips, but Mustang seats and floorboards do! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts