Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had this problem. 09 v star 1300 leaking antifreeze out of the drain cock. I lost about 2 ounces of antifreeze on a 200 mile ride. If i replace the 2 0 rings will that fix the leak. Thanks Dave

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,958 Posts
Here’s a thread explaining replacing the orings to stop weeping.

Reactions: torinogt

·
Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
106 Posts
I would think the top small o-ring would keep coolant from leaking into the crankcase oil (if your water pump seal developed a leak) & the bottom larger o-ring seals the drain cock to the crankcase to prevent oil from leaking out. My bet is your water pump seal is leaking, so replacing the o-rings on the drain cock is NOT going to solve your coolant loss issue. Coolant maintenance is critical on these bikes and so is the correct use of coolant as this bike‘s water pump is inside the crank case which requires splitting the case to replace.
Font Art Auto part Circle Pattern

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks alot lesblank. I will replace the o rings.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
918 Posts
Thanks alot lesblank. I will replace the o rings.
Might want to check your radiator cap, and check the drain plug on the radiator itself before you start unbolting / replacing other things. Most times it is something simple. Let's hope that's the case for your bike. And check the water pump seal as mentioned by turinogt.
Good luck with the repair, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
705 Posts
What is the purpose of having that drain cock at the bottom of the engine with the two bolts and two O-rings?

Is it so those O-rings will be the first to go when there is a high pressure in the water or oil, to protect the Pump/seal?

Why is it there?

·
Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
106 Posts
The purpose of the drain cock is simply a passage from the water pump weep hole cavity to the bottom of the crankcase. When you’re water pump seal is leaking it will pass through this drain tube to the outside of the crankcase instead of leaking into your oil. The top o-ring prevents coolant from leaking into the oil & the bottom o-ring prevents oil from leaking out of the crankcase (1 single bolt holds the drain cock in place) Post Edit: there’s 2 bolt’s holding it in. I was debating on purchasing my V-Star 1300 Tourer because of the internal water pump, but after some research I have found this setup to be used in several engines with success. So the main thing with these bikes is to keep up with the coolant change intervals & use the correct type of coolant.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
705 Posts
The purpose of the drain cock is simply a passage from the water pump weep hole cavity to the bottom of the crankcase. When you’re water pump seal is leaking it will pass through this drain tube to the outside of the crankcase instead of leaking into your oil. The top o-ring prevents coolant from leaking into the oil & the bottom o-ring prevents oil from leaking out of the crankcase (1 single bolt holds the drain cock in place) I was debating on purchasing my V-Star 1300 Tourer because of the internal water pump, but after some research I have found this setup to be used in several engines with success. So the main thing with these bikes is to keep up with the coolant change intervals & use the correct type of coolant.
Thanks
I followed every bit of that but a little confused now, you said there was a single bolt holding the drain cock in place (under the engine), but there are two bolts holding it in place under there.
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
705 Posts
The more I get to know about the V-Star 1300 engine it makes me think it a bit of a miracle it has run this long. The water pump fails and you're done, An O-ring failure could ruin your engine. :oops:
Makes me not want to ride it so hard. :D

·
Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
106 Posts
Thanks
I followed every bit of that but a little confused now, you said there was a single bolt holding the drain cock in place (under the engine), but there are two bolts holding it in place under there.
View attachment 117104
Ah yes, sometimes the mind can be a terrible thing, You made my old a$$ look under my bike & take a pic, as you can see it has some oil seepage which is not a problem . If I end up with any drips on the floor I will replace the o-rings
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Rim

·
Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
106 Posts
The more I get to know about the V-Star 1300 engine it makes me think it a bit of a miracle it has run this long. The water pump fails and you're done, An O-ring failure could ruin your engine. :oops:
Makes me not want to ride it so hard. :D
I ride the snot out of mine (sometimes) , it’s proven to be reliable with proper maintenance, this bike should easily go 150k+ miles with no problem. But yes for most people, if the water pump fails it can be costly $$$$

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
705 Posts
Ah yes, sometimes the mind can be a terrible thing, You made my old a$$ look under my bike & take a pic, as you can see it has some oil seepage which is not a problem . If I end up with any drips on the floor I will replace the o-rings View attachment 117113
:D

I crawled under my bike to take a look at it too as a result of this thread. No dripping, no leakage at all on the floor but there was "moisture" ring around it, like yours, i wiped it down with a paper towel to match the rest of the bottom. Sorry, didn't mean to correct you on that, just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing, which i believe we were now. Thanks for the info you provided, nice to know. I take it you have not changed your O-Rings yet, it would be nice to know how that would go.. easy, not so easy, or? Apply some lithium grease (very little, just coat) to the O-rings beforehand to prevent any distortion of them while installing. But i wonder if the Drain Cock simply pulls down/out to replace the O-Rings. If i had known I would have changed mine this last coolant change, and changed the Oil at the same time. Next time I will. In 2 years (2 oil changes from now, when coolant is due).

Thanks, Appreciate it :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Might want to check your radiator cap, and check the drain plug on the radiator itself before you start unbolting / replacing other things. Most times it is something simple. Let's hope that's the case for your bike. And check the water pump seal as mentioned by turinogt.
Good luck with the repair, let us know how it turns out.
The reason I thought it was leaking out of the drain cock, there,s a very small amount of dried up look,s like the color of antifreeze around the drain cock. I let it idle for 30 min. no leaks.I order new oil rings a thermostat and a radiator cap. After that I decided to rent a antifreeze leak tester tool from Autozone. Hook up the tester, pump it up to 15psi and the two hoses under the gas tank started leaking. The hoses did not leak when I let it idle. The clamps are tight, but the end of the hoses are coming apart. That,s the two hoses on the left side of the bike. I,m going to put on the new parts anyway. I did not smell any antifreeze. But my old 👃 is 67 years old.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts