Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to get more air to my intake, but do not wish to purchase an air intake system. I have bought (and installed) a K&N filter, but has anyone ever drilled out the plastic intake? Not the plastic chrome piece, but maybe six - 1.5 inch holes in black 'baking' plastic piece.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
462 Posts
Not sure what bike you have, but when I drilled holes in the backing piece on my carbureted 650 it was so lean it would barely run. I could have tried to jet it to run right, but wound up taping the holes up.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
3,467 Posts
You can do as you ask @Pohio but first make sure you can adjust the fuel to compensate for the added air.

At first, I thought this thread was going to be about flying helicopters in plane guard around a carrier...

Reactions: Pohio

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what bike you have, but when I drilled holes in the backing piece on my carbureted 650 it was so lean it would barely run. I could have tried to jet it to run right, but wound up taping the holes up.
I've got a 2011 950 so it's fuel injected. If I were to change the air intake drastically, I would have to retune the computer.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
On Monica’s 950, I drilled 1” holes front and rear on the black plastic air filter box, and inserted a k&n air filter. Gave a little more grunt when twisting the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
I drilled 5 1" holes in my air box. 2 in front, 2 in back, and 1 on the bottom. I also have a K&N filter plus cobra speedster long exhaust. I followed up with a cobra power pro black tunner to make changes. It woke my bike up a lot.

·
Administrator
16,144 Posts
there have been numerous people to drill holes in the 950's stock airbox cover. some have claimed some slight improvement in performance. as others have said, the more air you introduce to an already lean factory fuel mixture will make it even more lean. here's one thread here on the subject and there are others here as well: Air Box Modification - Updated pics???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I've decided to do this. I bought some wire mesh for protection from the air outside (even thought I have a air filter in the box still). Thanks for the link to the thread bevo1981. I did a little more research and like you all said, it will run leaner so I've decided to get a ECU retune. I'm going to go with Ivan's. I need to call him to discuss what he should do to it since his list of ECU tune options don't have 'drilling out your air box' as a option. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the information folks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I swiss-cheesed my airbox and had a K&N filter. Ran a Cobra Power Commander and Slip on. Ran well once I found a setting on the power commander that maxed out power & mileage. The trade off was significantly more deceleration Pops. I was able to manage those by not coming off the throttle abruptly. When I did come off the throttle fast after accelerating hard, the Pops were pretty loud backfires.
I learned to love the Burbley little pops. They sounded Happy to me.
And being able to backfire on command can have fun applications as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I've decided to do this. I bought some wire mesh for protection from the air outside (even thought I have a air filter in the box still). Thanks for the link to the thread bevo1981. I did a little more research and like you all said, it will run leaner so I've decided to get a ECU retune. I'm going to go with Ivan's. I need to call him to discuss what he should do to it since his list of ECU tune options don't have 'drilling out your air box' as a option. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the information folks!
Did you go get a chance to go through with this? What was Ivan's solution?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.