Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I would check my drive belt slack just for grins and what I'm thinking I'm seeing is too loose. At 10 lbs of force on my gauge the belt moves in the window almost 2 full notches. The book says 4 to 6 mm I think. That being the case the belt is too loose, right?

·
Registered
2015 V-Star 950T
149 Posts
NO!!!

Well, if it's a 950, that's about spot on. The book has been determined to be wrong by many who have killed rear axle (pulley) bearings running at book spec. Most of us 950 owners run 7-10 mm at 10 lbs force (checked with bike sitting on the side stand with no extra weight on it). The notches are 5mm, so 2 notches or ever so slightly less is good.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
I thought this was the Eluder Venture forum
It's a Star Bike Forum

with sub forums within the site. A lot of folks will not notice which sub forum the post was made. Most people read all the new posts, regardless of sub forum, as a lot of information from one bike can be useful on another. You do have your bike listed in your signature that helps indenify which bike you have, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
On my star venture I run my belt at 9-10 mm. Common sense tells me that the book is incorrect. If I run the belt tighter it will howl.. Howling is not good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Common sense tells you the book is wrong? OK. Mine is right where you say you have yours set so I will leave it alone for now.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
88 Posts
FWIW, I am running at ~ 10mm with the rear wheel off the ground. I found it like that after having the Yamaha dealer replace the back tire one time and it seems to run ok and quietly at that setting. I suppose I should see what the number is with the back tire on the ground, haven't bothered to look yet. Oh well.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine on the ground is right around 9 to 10 mm. It seems plenty tight to me. I can't remember the spec on my 2011 Road King right off but this seems about right for this bike. The belt on the Eluder seems to be more matched to the pulley size on this bike also meaning very little room on either side of the belt. I think I will leave it alone for now since it only has 300 miles on it and check it again at 600.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts