Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dealer maintenance manual for the Star 250 (2009) that shows the drive chain slack should be 30-40mm on the spec page (which is what the owner's manual shows also), but 15-20mm slack on the mechanic's adjustment instruction page. Which is correct? Thanks
:confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I noticed that there are a couple of other mistakes in that service manual also it gives different chain lenghts too.

I always just used to set my slack to approx 1 inch which is 25mm

Dennis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Service manual discrepancy

Yea, that kind of typo could screw up some chains. The manual describes leaving the bike on the side stand when checking the tension. Do you do this?
Also, when you measure the up/down slack, I have been told you should measure at the center (the up and down center I mean) of the chain link at both the top and the bottom, and not the top of the chain link when pushing up and the bottom of the chain link when pushing down. Doing that would give you an incorrect (too large) reading of the slack. Have you heard this? thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes I would always leave the bike on the side stand with the axle nut loose and the rear brake linkage disconnected, before adjusting it.

But here is where we differ, In order to check the slack, I put the bike in first gear and while leaving the clutch engaged, I remove the slack from the chain, by rolling the bike back wards slightly, this removes any slack at the top of the chain and puts it on the bottom.

I then measure the slack at the bottom of the chain, between both sprockets. In this manner, you have removed the top slack of the chain which is what the bike will be doing when its moving along down the road and the engine is pulling the rear sprocket.
I just make sure that I had no slack at the top part of the chain, for the bottom measurement.

Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts