Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
if you google V star 1100 driver backrest you can find things like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Drivers-Backrest-Yamaha-V-Star-Classic/dp/B00H4JK690

EDIT: I just noticed that listing has no price, but there are several more like it.

It usually attaches to the screws/bolts for part of the passenger seat. Whether you will be able to keep the passenger seat with it is hit and miss.

I got one very similar for my 650 a few years back. I had to mangle the bracket to get the back rest where I wanted it. It was ok but not great. Having anything you can lean back into even a little gives you a more secure feeling that you wont slide off the back of the bike, and allows you to relax the muscles in the small of your back. The one I had, if I put all my weight on it, Im sure it would bend back flat.

I later put a trunk on my 650 (photos in my garage page

<= over there) With a bit of padding the trunk is a better drivers backrest.

I want to put one on Ursa (royal star naked), but have not found one I really like. Ursa has saddle bags with the wire loop mounts, I keep the mounts on the bike and put the bags on when I think I will need them. I would like to have a drivers backrest that attaches into more than 2 side by side bolts in the fender or under the seat, so if I do stress it with my weight it wont bend the fender out of shape.

I have seen a back rest on a 70's Honda 750/4 that attaches to side rails (where my saddle bag mounts attach). It can be slid back for a passenger back rest, or slid up for a drivers back rest, or anywhere in between. I have not seen one for V star bikes, but that would be ideal.

I think that having anything you can lean back into makes the bike far more comfortable, esp on longer rides. Whatever it takes to put one on your bike, it will be worth the cost or the time you spend fabricating it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,074 Posts

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
^LOL great minds google alike

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,074 Posts
Yeah, you type faster than I do. 😀

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
^ you live 2 hours in the past
its 9:28 here, 7:28 there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
17A - if the one listed above is one you'd be interested in, and you're willing to wait a couple weeks or so (travelling now), let me know. I may have one that you can have for the cost of shipping.

I'd never actually used it as I'd also bought an Ultimate seat around the same time, and after I installed the new seat, I discovered I really didn't need the backrest too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
17A - if the one listed above is one you'd be interested in, and you're willing to wait a couple weeks or so (travelling now), let me know. I may have one that you can have for the cost of shipping.

I'd never actually used it as I'd also bought an Ultimate seat around the same time, and after I installed the new seat, I discovered I really didn't need the backrest too.
Thanx for all the info.

I am going to wait a bit. Not even picking the bike up for another month yet due to 15 feet of snow we still have on the ground. I do plan on doing some long touring on it but until I see how it feels etc I will wait.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 950 and got mine from Grasshopper (About us), nice quality. I like it because once you have it installed it takes about 5 seconds to take it off or put it back on. Looks like they have one for a Classic.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
^ looks like grasshopper makes nice one for a good price

they have one for the royal star venture,but not for the base model royal star, which has a flatter seat.

I will ask them if it will still work with my RS - thanks

BTW, they do not show up until page 2 of the search results when you google yamaha Vstar driver backrest

1 - 10 of 10 Posts