Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using for driving lights. I'm not interested in the front mounted lights near the headlights.

I'm much more interested in fork or engine guard mounted lighting. What are you using? Where did you get them? Can you post a pic?

I'd like to increase my road presence and add to the night time driving capabilities.

Looking forward to hearing your replies. Again I'm not interested in the traditional auxiliary lamps located near the headlight and turn signals. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,527 Posts
Nice! Anxious to hear your impressions when you get them installed.
@Keith Post and I both have them. They work great.
Here's a link.

@bevo1981 and several others have used these.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,527 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,935 Posts
Thanks Redbird58! Helps a lot at night, we live out in the country so it helps to see all the critters, especially the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts

• They’re mega easy to install, Les and I and several others have found them to be a inexpensive upgrade. I added them to my 950t along with my wife’s 950, and added them to my RoadStar. Here’s a few pics after install.
    My 950t..
    after install on the RoadStar...

Do all roadstars have the dual filament turn indicators? I haven't noticed on mine.
You also installed them in the passing lights too?

·
Super Moderator
6,935 Posts
Yes they do because they act as a running light and flashing turn signal when used. The switchback bulbs are dual filament and do the same thing, except they ‘switchback’ to a bright white LED light when the turn signals are not engaging. I didn’t add the switchback’s to the passing lights, they’re already pretty bright and they have a different bulb system. If I added them to the passing lights I’d definitely need a resistor installed. I may upgrade them in the future though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just a note, if you install the switchback bulbs in a VStar 1100 Classic (not sure about Custom), you will need to file down one of the nubs. The VStar Classic as a weird 3 nub bulb that is hard to find and expensive if you find it. I have them installed in my 1100 Silverado. Files the nub and it works great. No problems just wanted you to know ahead of time.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Just a note, if you install the switchback bulbs in a VStar 1100 Classic (not sure about Custom), you will need to file down one of the nubs. The VStar Classic as a weird 3 nub bulb that is hard to find and expensive if you find it. I have them installed in my 1100 Silverado. Files the nub and it works great. No problems just wanted you to know ahead of time.
What year is your 1100 classic. I have an 01 and it has regular 1157 bulbs. I havn't put in my switch back bulbs in yet.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I'd like to increase my road presence and add to the night time driving capabilities.
You need to sort out what you are trying to accomplish

if you want drivers coming the other way to see you better then you want typical "passing" lights. They have relatively big lenses and throw the 10 or 15W from the bulb in all directions, like a flood light

they make the front of your bike look like a GE locomotive is coming down the street. They are not intense and they are not focused, so you can leave them on in the daytime and other drivers will see you better. They are not like hi beams, so at night you could leave them on, but some drivers will think they are hi beams and blink at you. At night they will not brighten the road ahead any more than your high beams, but when you have your low beams on they will light up the shoulders of the road better. On most factory setups they go off when you put the highbeam on, the opposite of what you would want to see better on a dark road.

If YOU want to see better at night then you need hi intensity focused beams to throw light further down the road than your high beam. You cannot leave them on day or night when traffic is coming the other way, you will blind the other drivers, so they will not help you to be seen.

they are two very different types of lights

·
Registered
182 Posts
What year is your 1100 classic. I have an 01 and it has regular 1157 bulbs. I havn't put in my switch back bulbs in yet.
I have a 2005 Classic Silverado. When I went to install the 1157 Switchback LEDs, I found the socket had 3 nubs. I found this Replacement Turn Signal Bulbs about 75-80% down:

"Zepman: Avoiding the costly 3 pin OEM replacement bulb.
Up here in Canada I went to the local Yamaha dealer to get a replacement bulb (1157) for my front turn indicator. I was totally shocked that the price was 18.50 +15% tax. I saw that the only difference was that the OEM bulb had three (3) locking pins whereas the regular 1157 has two. SO, I went home with a regular 1157 and after comparing the two bulbs (lining up the contacts) I came up with this.
Take the new bulb with two (2) locking pins and file off the upper pin (the pin closest to the bottom of the bulb) and insert the bulb with the lower pin at approx the 4-5 o'clock position. Insert and twist to lock. Works great."

I did what Zepman did and it works great. Sure I only have 1 nub holding in the bulb in the socket but the socket is so tight the bulb does not move.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts