Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeking some input as to how I should position the lights on my light bar. Should they be pointed directly ahead like the headlight or slightly to the sides, so that they light more of the road edge?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd say that's a personal choice. I can tell you that my Dealer Installed, Stratoliner Driving Lights are a bit lower and off to the side. I noticed that one night when I slowed down to turn and realized - I couldn't see right in front of me in the direction of the turn. The fuse had blown. When I installed some Kuryakyn driving lights on my VStar 650 Classic, I aimed the same way. The "hot spot" is just below the headlight hot spot but pretty much straight forward. Since the beams are more diffuse, it really fills in from my LED Headlight which has a very tight beam. That's just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm upgrading to LED's this weekend and will be interested to see if there is much difference from the incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
when I got my royal star last fall I noticed the driving lights hit the garage door a bit higher than the low beam

I was going to adjust them to bring them down, and quickly saw there are no adjusting screws, and the mounting seems to be fixed

The bike is a 2000 Boulevard model, the driving/passing lights came from the factory

diving a bit deeper, these lights are like a very wide angle lens - they dont really point or focus, they disperse light maybe 160° in a hemisphere in front of the bike.

They are wired to be on with the low beams, and off with the high beams, with a switch on the side of one to shut them off always.

The question keeps coming up: what are these 'passing' lights intended for?

they are not like driving lights we use to put on our cars back in the '70s. Those were high intensity quarts halogen focused spot lights that you used with your high beams. They would light up a dark road as if you had turned on the street lights and you could see 100 yards ahead like daylight.

they are obviously not just for when you pass another car

After riding with them for a few months, and noticing how they look on bikes coming the other way (almost always HD baggers) I think their primary purpose is to light up the front of your bike during the day so on-coming drivers can see you better - its like looking at the front of a GE diesel locomotive coming down the street with its three headlights. I think it gives drivers a better way to judge how far away your are and how fast you are approaching than the single point of one headlight.

I dont ride at night much, they light up the sides of the road better with the low beams, but I do get drivers flashing their high beams at me, thinking I have my brights on when I dont. If there is traffic on the road at night I usually turn them off, and use the high beam (only) when the road is empty. When the roads are empty and Im riding slower, like thru my neighborhood, I turn the passing lights back on.

So... if it was based on my experience they would be properly named "day time running lights"

·
Registered
930 Posts
@KCW ... when I am riding at night. My main concern is where I can see. Cars coming the opposite direct should be able to see my lights. And hopefully not hit me.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
My left driving light is aimed just a little off center so not to blind on coming cars, my right is aimed more toward side of road. It works well for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts