Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dropped bike and broke a couple ribs. Talk about hurt, not much damage to bike, couple scratches on front finder and running lit.
I was going to stop at a pull off and didn't notice that, when they repaved the road, they left a 4 in drop off. I was able to pick it up (not bad being 67 years old and still pick up a 1100 ) ride home. Wife is ready for me to give up riding, but we'll see who wins on this subject.

Jack

·
Registered
274 Posts
Rusty I'm glad your ok. I hope you are feeling better soon. I hope you can wait a bit before discussing if you keep riding. Although I haven't had a bike injury yet, other accidents seem to look smaller after a few months and I'm feeling better. So you never know how you and your wife might feel in a month or two. You both may be planning a road trip. Time really does help I think. Anyway I hope your ribs heal soon and you're up and about.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey Rusty, sorry to hear about you dropping your ride. Congrats on getting picked up by yourself. Your right not bad for 67 or any age for that matter with hurt ribs! Hope you and the misses can come to terms and be riding off into the sunset together soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Being still a newbie, maybe I don't have much worth saying, but...

I too have not dropped a motorcycle. My worst injuries have all been on pedal bicycles. The worst of all was 19 years ago, going over the handlebars on a down hill run on a rain soaked road. After plastic surgery on my face, two nights in the hospital, and a few weeks off the bike, I tried a ride into town. When it started raining, I got so nervous I had to get off and walk! But a couple more rides, and I was "back in the saddle again."

You're the one who has to make the decision (with your sweetheart, of course), but my 2 cents: give it a couple of good tries. You'll likely be glad you did.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Glad you are able to tell us about your spill and being able to pick it up with broken ribs. Either you are in a lot better shape than I am or the adrenaline was really pumping. I'll be 67 soon and I'm not thinking I'd be lifting up my 1100. Our orayers are for you to heal quick and then decide on the future.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well I dropped bike and broke a couple ribs. Talk about hurt, not much damage to bike, couple scratches on front finder and running lit.
I was going to stop at a pull off and didn't notice that, when they repaved the road, they left a 4 in drop off. I was able to pick it up (not bad being 67 years old and still pick up a 1100 ) ride home. Wife is ready for me to give up riding, but we'll see who wins on this subject.

Jack
That sucks. Glad it wasn't worse.

Would you mind walking us through what happened and what you might have been able to do differently, if anything, to save it?

Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hang in there Rusty. I´m 7o and still hangin on to the bars like crazy. Just give yourself and your ribs some good amount of time before you throw your leg over the saddle. As for your misses, she will be alright. When your pain is gone, her fear will go away, too. Trust me. Hang in and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't know how it happen. The only thing I can think of is I came off the payment at the wrong angle and when the front tire hit the gravel I just lost it. I don't know if I normally could pick it up, I do know it scared the crap out of me and hurt like I never hurt before.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Best wishes on a quick recovery! You are my hero! Busted ribs AND you picked up your bike! Then at 67! Glad it was no worse!

My mother in law's 78 year old boyfriend would tell you to that you are a young man and should heal quickly. He still rides 10,000 miles plus a year, even after hip replacement surgery! No he isn't a retired marine, he's a retired preacher!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I really don't know how it happen. The only thing I can think of is I came off the payment at the wrong angle and when the front tire hit the gravel I just lost it. I don't know if I normally could pick it up, I do know it scared the crap out of me and hurt like I never hurt before.
Thanks, rusty.

Were you going right to left and the front end slid out?

Adrenaline is pretty amazing stuff!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Been there done that

I am 73, xvs65v 650 Custom, 44k miles.
I have a (BAD) habit of sometimes not putting the bile in 1st gear and trying to take off in 2nd and the stutter sometimes causes the bile to stall and sometimes lay over on the engine guard.
No injuries or damage to date, I can still pick the bike up and ride away.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts